Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium BW

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
Team Compendium is pleased to announce the latest editions of The Pokemon Trading Card Game Rulings Compendium, The Compendium BW. The features of the Compendium BW include:

• Streamlined rulings, pre-HGSS rulings removed, except those that are still relevant
  • Updated existing rulings, applied to Abilities & Trainers as appropriate [with edited text in brackets]
  • Updated links, to card scans from the PokeGym Researching Tower
  • Comprehensive index, so you can jump right to or bookmark a specific ruling
Check it all out at
Did I say, editions, plural? Yes! There is now a mobile edition of the Compendium BW at
This mobile edition is designed to work with your iOS & Android mobile phones (and maybe some others!). Right now, it requires an Internet connection to use on your mobile device.

And if you read between the lines here or read the introduction carefully, you’ll know there are a couple more editions in the works.

Please give us your feedback, corrections and considered suggestions in this article’s thread on the PokeGym. If the mobile edition works (or doesn’t work) on your phone, we’d like to know the model of phone and version of its operating system.

Thank you, loyal Compendium readers, for how much you care about good rulings! These editions are for you.

Visit original post on Compendium site...

Plasma Arrow (Rotom - Undaunted)

Q. When using Rotom's "Plasma Arrow" attack, I get to choose one of the opponent's Pokemon and do 20 damage for each Energy attached to it; but do I do the damage to the Defending Pokemon, or to the Pokemon I chose?
A. To the Pokemon that was chosen. If the damage were to be done to the Defending Pokemon, there would be a "20x" value in the damage field of the attack. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)
Edit Article
I dunno why that last part is there. Oopsie?

I love the fact that there's a mobile version of the compendium, it's so easy to navigate too! :thumb:

Last edited:
Q. Can I use Rotom's "Mischievous Trick" Poke-POWER when I have no cards in my deck, to put a Prize card into my deck?
A. No, you can't. That would be far too mischievous. (HS:Undaunted FAQ; Sep 9, 2010 PUI Rules Team)

LOLLL

downloadable (pdf?) edition please, for events where there is no 'net connection?

'mom

downloadable (pdf?) edition please, for events where there is no 'net connection?

'mom

I hear you.

It's hard to automate because most automated pdf creators choke on the css... and most operating systems have built in or free pdf creators. I'd like to make changes needed to bring it back, but there are at least 3 things ahead of it for the BW edition alone...

You can download the Compendium as an HTML version that your browser can open even when your not connected to the internet. Even the Index links at the bottom will work!
That's how I keep a reference copy handy when not online.

Just do "File", "Save Page As..." and choose "Web page, HTML only" as the file type.

There's a slight error that I noticed for the attack Grind

Grind (Klink - Emerging Powers; Klang - Black and White; Klinklang - Black and White; Others)

Q. If I have a Double Colorless Energy attached to Tangrowth, will its "Grind" attack do an extra 20 or 40 damage for that energy card?
A. It will do an extra 40 damage. Grind looks at the total amount of energy attached, not energy cards. (Call of Legends FAQ; Feb 10, 2011 PUI Rules Team)

The Pokemon that are linked use the attack "Gear Grind" and not "Grind"

There's a slight error that I noticed for the attack Grind

The Pokemon that are linked use the attack "Gear Grind" and not "Grind"

Thanks. That's a limitation of the search that pulls the data used for the links. We don't currently have the metadata in the compendium needed to exclude the extraneous matches. there have been a few other instances of this anomaly in the past. It's something we'd like to fix but there are other priorities at present.

Please ask rulings question in the Ask the Rules Team forum.
This question has been asked and answered there.

Hi all,

I was studying for my yearly Exam and I stumbled upon a small issue.
Under meta-rulings :

A Pokemon is considered an evolved Pokemon if it has a Pokemon card with a different name underneath it; this does not include Pokemon cards that are attached (e.g. tool cards, energy cards, etc.). (Jan 15, 2009 PUI Rules Team)

^The new Ditto seems to be an exception to this rule.

However, there can be no exceptions. At least according to the Meta-rulings header:

Meta-Rulings are based on the underlying rules of the Game which cannot be bypassed by a card or card effect. All Meta-Rulings in the Compedium BW have been reviewed and approved by the TPCi Rules Team (top)

The nature of the other meta-rulings seems to be consistent with this.

Back