Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium Updates for May 2nd, 2019

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Last edited: Thursday, May 2nd, 2019
(Added April 18th & May 2nd Rulings, and FAQ for SM:Unbroken Bonds)

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

This edition of the Rulings Compendium includes:

|
|
* April 4th, 2019 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 11th, 2019 -- No New Rulings!! --
* April 18th, 2019 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* April 25th, 2019 -- No New Rulings!! --
* SM10: Unbroken Bonds FAQ --
* May 2nd, 2019 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
META-RULINGS

POKEMON ABILITIES

== BATTERY (Charjabug - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I use Charjabug's "Battery" ability, is that an extra Energy card attachment or does it count as my one attachment for the turn?
A. It is an extra Energy attachment. You still get to attach one other Energy card as your normal attachment for the turn. (May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Would Honchkrow GX's "Ruler of the Night" Ability prevent me from using Charjabug's "Battery" Ability to attach it to Vikavolt as an Energy card?
A. Yes it would prevent that because Charjabug would be a Special Energy card being played from your hand. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== DEDECHANGE (Dedenne - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. For Dedenne's "Dedechange" Ability, can I use it if I have no hand to discard?
A. Yes, you can. A hand of zero cards is still a hand, so you would discard nothing and then draw six cards. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== EMERGE (Metapod - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can I use Caterpie's "Pupate" Ability or Metapod's "Emerge" Ability on the first turn of the game or the turn that the Pokemon came into play?
A. Yes. There is no restriction on the Ability. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== INTIMIDATING FANG (Sandile - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Does Sandile's "Intimidating Fang" Ability also reduce damage done to Benched Pokemon?
A. Yes, it reduces all damage done by the opponent's Active Pokemon. Damage to your Defending Pokemon, your Benched Pokemon, and even damage done to your opponent's own Pokemon! (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== METAL EATER (Melmetal - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can I use Melmetal's "Metal Eater" Ability to discard a {M} Pokemon from my hand if Melmetal is not damaged?
A. Yes you can. The first part of Metal Eater is to discard a {M} Pokemon from your hand, period. Then you do as much of the rest of the Ability as you are able to. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== PANTOMIME (Mr. Mime - Detective Pikachu)

Q. When using Mr. Mime's "Pantomime" Ability, can I look at my prize cards when choosing which one to switch with the top card of my deck?
A. No, you cannot look at the prize card that you are switching out. (Apr 18, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== PUPATE (Caterpie - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can I use Caterpie's "Pupate" Ability or Metapod's "Emerge" Ability on the first turn of the game or the turn that the Pokemon came into play?
A. Yes. There is no restriction on the Ability. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== RULER OF THE NIGHT (Honchkrow GX - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Would Honchkrow GX's "Ruler of the Night" Ability prevent me from using Charjabug's "Battery" Ability to attach it to Vikavolt as an Energy card?
A. Yes it would prevent that because Charjabug would be a Special Energy card being played from your hand. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== SWELLING SPITE (Gastly - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If Gastly with the "Swelling Spite" Ability is my last Pokemon in play and is Knocked Out, do I get to search for 2 Haunter and put them on my Bench or do I lose the game?
A. Yes, you get to use the Ability before you lose. Gastly is Knocked Out, the opponent takes a Prize card, and then you search your deck for 2 Haunter and put them onto your Bench. (Then you would have to promote one of the Haunter as your new Active Pokemon.) (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

POKEMON ATTACKS

== BRING DOWN (Greninja - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If one of my Pokemon has the least HP remaining and I use Greninja's "Bring Down" attack, would it Knock Out my own Pokemon?
A. Yes! And your opponent gets to take the Prize card(s) for it. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== COPY ANYTHING (Ditto - Detective Pikachu)

Q. If I use Ditto's "Copy Anything" attack to copy one of my opponent's Tag Team GX attacks with a bonus effect for extra energy attached, do you count the extra energy starting at Energy #2, or after you take into account the "necessary Energy to use that attack"? For example, if it copies Pikachu & Zekrom GX's "Tag Bolt GX" attack, does it need 6 {L} attached or just 4 in order to get the bonus effect?
A. You count based on the required energy that normally has to be attached for the attack. So for Tag Bolt GX, Ditto would need 6 {L} energy attached to get the bonus effect. (Apr 18, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== DARK UNION GX (Greninja & Zoroark GX - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I use Greninja & Zoroark GX's "Dark Union GX" attack, can I put Honchkrow GX or other {D} type Evolution Pokemon GX directly onto the bench?
A. Yes, you can. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If an Evolution Pokemon has been put directly into play by using Greninja & Zoroark GX's "Dark Union GX" attack can I attach Triple Acceleration Energy to it?
A. Yes, as long as the Evolution Pokemon says "Evolves from..." on it. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== DUAL BLIZZARD (Dewgong - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Does Dewgong's "Dual Blizzard" attack let you do 60 damage each to two separate Pokemon, or does it do 60 total damage split between the two any way I like?
A. It does 60 damage to each of the two Pokemon separately. And don't forget to apply Weakness & Resistance where applicable. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== HIGH-HEAT BLAST (Volcanion - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can the {R}{R} energy used for Volcanion's "High-Heat Blast" attack count as part of the "at least 4 {R} Energy in play" bonus damage?
A. Yes, it can. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== HYPNOTIC REIGN (Malamar - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. When I use one of my opponent's Pokemon's non-GX attacks with Malamar's "Hypnotic Reign", do I need to have the energy required in order to use that attack?
A. No you do not, but you need to do any necessary effects such as discarding Energy. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== NIGHTCAP (Nihilego - SM: Lost Thunder)

Q. If I use Nihilego's "Nightcap" attack to copy my opponent's Pikachu & Zekrom GX's "Tag Bolt GX" attack, does it need 6 {L} attached or just an additional 3 {L} attached in order to get the bonus effect?
A. Nightcap replaces the normal amount of energy required by the opponent's attack with a single Psychic Energy cost. So for Tag Bolt GX, Nihilego would need 4 total Energy (1 to pay for Nightcap + 3 extra Lightning) to get the bonus effect. (May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== PERPLEXING EYES (Meowstic - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. When I use Meowstic's "Perplexing Eyes" attack does it change my opponent's active Pokemon's weakness before I do damage?
A. No. Do damage first, then apply effects. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent has no Weakness and I use Meowstic's "Perplexing Eyes" attack, will I do extra damage on my next turn due to Weakness?
A. So if a Pokémon has no Weakness, Perplexing Eyes still gives it x2 Weakness to {P}. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== SEVERE POISON (Muk & Alolan Muk GX - SM: Unbroken Bonds; Crobat - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I had used Muk & Alolan Muk GX's "Severe Poison" attack that places extra Poison damage counters and in the next turn use Koga's Trap, do they still place the extra Poison damage?
A. No, they don't. The new, normal Poison Special Condition replaces the old Severe Poison Special Condition. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If I Switch my Active Pokemon that is affected by Poison from Muk & Alolan Muk GX's "Severe Poison" attack and Dust Island is in play, does my new Active Pokemon take the extra damage counters?
A. Yes, it does. Dust Island specifies that it is affected by "that Special Condition". (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== SURPRISE FIST (Pyukumuku - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. For Pyukumuku's "Surprise Fist" attack, what happens if Rock-Paper-Scissors ends in a tie?
A. You have to play R-P-S until there is a winner; you cannot end it in a tie. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== TEN-CARD RETURN GX (Venomoth GX - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can I use Venomoth GX's "Ten-Card Return GX" attack if I have no cards in my hand?
A. Yes, but you must shuffle your deck before drawing cards. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

TRAINER CARDS

== BEAST BRINGER (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I'm playing in a Prerelease with 4 Prize Cards, what happens if I have Beast Bringer attached to an Ultra Beast and I Knock Out a GX Pokemon as my first Knock Out?
A. Nothing happens. The card specifies that you must have exactly 6 Prize cards remaining but you only have 4. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== DUST ISLAND (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I use a Trainer card to switch my Active Pokemon that is affected by Poison from Muk & Alolan Muk GX's "Severe Poison" attack and Dust Island is in play, does my new Active Pokemon take the extra damage counters?
A. Yes, it does. Dust Island specifies that it is affected by "that Special Condition". (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent uses Pokemon Catcher or Escape Rope while Dust Island is in play, is my new Active Pokemon still poisoned.
A. No, it is not. Dust Island only works when a Trainer card is used to switch your own Pokemon; it does not apply when the Trainer card is played by your opponent. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== GREEN'S EXPLORATION (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I have Pokemon GX with Abilities in play and the Power Plant Stadium is also play, can I now play Green's Exploration since those Pokemon "have no Abilities"?
A. Yes, you would be able to play Green's Exploration in that case. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== KOGA'S TRAP (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I had used Muk & Alolan Muk GX's "Severe Poison" attack that places extra Poison damage counters and in the next turn use Koga's Trap, do they still place the extra Poison damage?
A. No, they don't. The new, normal Poison Special Condition replaces the old Severe Poison Special Condition. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== LT. SURGE'S STRATEGY (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I have already played a Supporter, can I then play Lt. Surge's Strategy since I would be able to play 3 Supporters in total?
A. No. You would have to play Lt. Surge's Strategy as your first Supporter in order to be able to play any additional Supporters during your turn. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== POWER PLANT (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I have Pokemon GX with Abilities in play and the Power Plant Stadium is also play, can I now play Green's Exploration since those Pokemon "have no Abilities"?
A. Yes, you would be able to play Green's Exploration in that case. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== RED'S CHALLENGE (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Can I play Red's Challenge and fail the deck search?
A. No, because you are not searching for a specific type of card. It is public knowledge that your deck does have cards in it. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== WELDER (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If I use Welder to attach {R} Energy to my Pokemon, do I still get to use my one energy attachment for the turn?
A. Yes, you do. Doing something via an effect does not use up the normal actions you get during your turn. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

== WONDROUS LABYRINTH {*} (SM: Team Up)

Q. If Wondrous Labyrinth {*} stadium is in play, how many energy are needed for energyless attacks?
A. Any attacks that normally cost no energy now require at least one energy to be attached when Wondrous Labyrinth {*} is in play. However, if an effect like Persian's "Gathering of Cats" Ability sets an attack's cost to zero energy, Wondrous Labyrinth {*} does not add an additional energy requirement to it. (May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

ENERGY CARDS

== TRIPLE ACCELERATION ENERGY (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. If an Evolution Pokemon has been put directly into play by using Greninja & Zoroark GX's "Dark Union GX" attack can I attach Triple Acceleration Energy to it?
A. Yes, as long as the Evolution Pokemon says "Evolves from..." on it. (Unbroken Bonds FAQ; May 2, 2019 TPCi Rules Team)

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

Last edited:
Back