Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

cosplayers freaks or just misunderstood

pinkertonfan

Has anyone noticed just how creepy some cosplayers are.i have on more then one ocasion seen a dude cosplay as a female character.so can someone please explain whats up with cosplaying?

Eh it's not that wierd. I've seen many a guy pull off a female character very nicely. Of course there are some people who really give it a bad name and shouldn't even cosplay at all. (certain body parts bulging out of the costume and such really don't make sense... :nonono: )

(certain body parts bulging out of the costume and such really don't make sense... :nonono: )

Thats part of what leads them to being thought of as freaks. I really don't get cosplaying myself, why not just go to an anime convention normally, instead of going to the trouble of making a costume, brushing up on that character's anime, AND assuming character? Its seems like a waist to me, but then again I don't think I was meant for the world of cosplay anyway.

I am really NOT meant for cosplay (as my current size would clearly demonstrate XD ) but I totally get the desire to for some people. If anything, I would like being able to become someone else for a day at a time other than Halloween. It does show love for the character/show you're cosplaying as and also there's those contests and prizes for best ones that day that can be really cool.

I'll leave the rest to someone else who actually does cosplay and see if they could explain it better than I could. :wink:

I'd say cosplayers aren't freaks.

Furries on the other hand.... now those give me the hebejebes.

:lol:

I'd try cosplaying if it didn't cost so much to make/buy a costume, and then only for events where that sort of behavior is ok. (Haloween :lol: , etc..)

Check the OP website for one of the CUTEST cosplays I've ever seen! One of the Juniors dressed up as Dawn!

Yes lots of "larger" people do dress up in cosplay at Anime Conventions. I suppose they want to have fun making the costumes, and possibly entering the contests. However, IMO if you don't fit the part's size, you should not dress up as that character. IE if you weigh over 200+ lbs. you should NOT dress up like Sailor Moon.

BTW I did cosplay at Sakuracon (just ask Jeff Anderson), and I bought all of my stuff at Goodwill, and it cost less than $50 for the whole thing, I think the most expensive thing was shoes.

Also I was a tad larger (lost 30 lbs.) so some of the stuff I wore was a tad tight. BTW I was Joeseph Carter (AKA Mr. Joker) from Read or Die. Mostly cause I thought that I might try to meet the creator of the show/manga. However the guy was not there. Oh well, I did have a lot of fun.

I don't ever dress up outside of Halloween, but on that night I really like to go all out. It is my favorite holiday. Aside from three years ago where I found the funniest looking outfit of a jockie riding an ostrich I have made Pokemon charachter outfits and proudly walked around. I never actually crafted much. I have been able to make costumes work with stuff I just have lying around. The easiest and best looking outfits were Giovanni and Rocket Grunt.

As far as seeing other's cosplay... It is often scary. I am a scrawny white pansey and dress up with roles that fit that. I agree that other's should dress for parts they physically fit.

More often than not cosplay is disturbing, but every once in a while someone does it just right.

Edit: The "just right" will not load at first, but refresh the page and it will.

I'd say cosplayers aren't freaks.

Furries on the other hand.... now those give me the hebejebes.
Everyone is a deviant in their own way. Everyone has something that differentiates him from every other individual. I try not to judge "freaks" or cross-players because everyone is different.

I was joking. I guess the laughing face was too far away from the statement,

I infact was calling irony upon myself for liking cosplayers while not liking furries.

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry.

I vote freaks. That said, I've crossplayed as Zoisite from Sailor Moon before. I do, however, admit to being a freak.

personally i think cosplaying is fun.

I have done Max for the past 3 years at events but alas, he is now gone, so I dont have a pokemon cosplay right now. I also do other characters from other animes, and make it look halfway decent.

now for crossplaying, i doubt I woudl do it because im such a huge guy, and ya, creepy.

But imo, to each their own, as long as it isnt harmful, I prob wouldnt mind.

Cosplaying is a lot of fun. I've only done it once, but I had a lot of fun doing it. I've cosplayed as Lucario. Full suit, terribly hot, but a blast to wear around.

I just got back from the anime expo over in Los Angeles (only because the convention was a mile from where I lived), and the amount of cosplayers was unbelievable.

Watching such events as the masquerade and the cosplay showcase at the convention really did at least turn my opinion about the kind of people cosplayers are. They really have stopped looking like freaks in my mind and more like those expressing art in their own way. Really it's not about becoming the characters in real life by dressing up, it's about expressing your interest in animation and art. Unofrtunately, many people make cosplay look bad in many ways possible, but when it's done right I admit it does look like a piece of art.

(end post)

I just got back from the anime expo over in Los Angeles (only because the convention was a mile from where I lived), and the amount of cosplayers was unbelievable.

Watching such events as the masquerade and the cosplay showcase at the convention really did at least turn my opinion about the kind of people cosplayers are. They really have stopped looking like freaks in my mind and more like those expressing art in their own way. Really it's not about becoming the characters in real life by dressing up, it's about expressing your interest in animation and art. Unofrtunately, many people make cosplay look bad in many ways possible, but when it's done right I admit it does look like a piece of art.

(end post)

Well, the people who do it wrong are the ones who prompted this topic. When its done right, it is pretty cool. But tragicly, many a time it IS done wrong.

Well, the people who do it wrong are the ones who prompted this topic. When its done right, it is pretty cool. But tragicly, many a time it IS done wrong.

There are the people who don't do it perfectly, those definitely aren't the problem. The ones that go out of their way to look bad, or yeah...some cosplayers give it the rest a pretty bad rep in many people's eyes.

Back