Cune EX - The Way It Should Be.

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by SuperWooper, Apr 2, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Many have wanted to run Suicune EX with Swampert. Despite its limited potential damage-wise, if it gets setup fast enough, it could be quite the contender. So I'm going to give my deck a whirl: It's a cross between Kyogre's Mizogurogo or whatever it was, and Patriarch's: Looking Ahead #2: BaD MoM.

Pokemon: 23
    4 Sparce
    4 Mudkip
    2 Marshtomp
    3 Swampert (Water Call)
    2 Swampert EX
    3 Suicune EX
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    1 Ditto

Energy: 18
    18 Water

Trainers: 19
    4 Oracle
    4 POR
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Fisherman
    2 Nurse
    2 Crystal Shard
    1 High Pressure System

That should cover it. If I could fit in a 2/2 Magneton line I definitely would, but I put in an extra Fisherman. The Delcatty are easy bait for Blaziken EX, so Suicune should tear that up no problem. Swampert for Aggy and Amphy, Ditto for Ray, the HPS for retreating Cune EXs back and forth. Nurse for obvious reasons, Fisherman because I don't have Ton to get the energy back. I used 3 Swampert because it's best to have out as many as you can get with Suicune. POR because your hand can build up, Gardy's feeback could destroy Suicune's low 100 HP. Shard are also for Ray, you know the drill. The deck should be set up turn three at the latest if it wants to compete with Blazy. The deck could be viable, it might not be. I think this is probably the strongest version, but here's an alternate one, just because I can:

Pokemon: 23
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Mudkip
    2 Marshtomp
    3 Swampert
    2 Swampert EX
    3 Suicune EX
    2 Magnemite
    2 Magneton
    1 Ditto

Energy: 19
    17 Water
    2 Multi

Trainers: 18
    4 Juggler
    3 POR
    3 Reporter
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Nurse
    2 Shard

This version uses Juggler and Reporter to discard energy and get it back again with Magneton. Simple and to the point. Could work, like I said, I'd need to do some MAJOR playtesting with both decks and see which one works. I tried to incorporate both Delcatty and Magneton in one version, here's what I got:

Pokemon: 26
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Mudkip
    2 Marshtomp
    3 Swampert
    2 Swampert EX
    3 Suicune EX
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    2 Magnemite
    2 Magneton

Energy: 18
    16 Water
    2 Multi

Trainers: 16
    4 POR
    4 Oracle
    2 Shard
    2 Nurse
    4 Candy

This deck has only 16 trainers, but Delcatty can provide TONS of drawing, as well as a counter to Rayquaza EX in and of itself with 5 energy, not a huge feat with three Swampert in play, just have an energy on Delcatty when you play it. With that one energy already attached, you +1 for the regular energy attachment, and +3 for Swampert.

The first deck, with Delcatty only, should setup:

3 Swampert
    2 Suicune EX/1 Cune and Swampert EX (better if Blaziken EX rears its ugly head, since Suicune EX gets killed by Blaziken)
    1 Delcatty

The second, with Magneton:
    3 Swampert
    2 Suicune EX/1 Cune and 1 Swampert EX (better if Blaziken EX rears its ugly head, since Suicune EX gets killed by Blaziken)
    1 Magneton

The third, with both:
    3 Swampert
    1 Suicune EX
    1 Magneton
    1 Delcatty

NOTE: In this deck, the third, its important that you have a Suicune EX in hand at all times, because when you first Cune is KOd, you'll need a second, try putting up Delcatty with that spare energy on it and retreating for Cune and proceeding to power it up.

These three are, IMNSHO, the best 3 Suicune EX decks you'll find. I dislike Mizogoguro, or whatever Mudkip's Japenese name is, because of lack of speed/recovery, but the idea is sound. If anyone would like to volunteer to playtest these, that would be great to have some help.

Thanx much,

Wooper

2. psycodad

psycodad New Member

I have tested this deck quite extensively. I prefer magneton/catty/swampert. It is IMO the best way to play swampy. Once your set, you always can trade for nrg to double attach. I play mine like this.
    Pokemon: 25
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Mudkip
    2 Marshtomp
    3 Swampert
    2 Swampert EX
    2 Suicune EX
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    2 Magnemite
    2 Magneton

Energy: 17
    14 Water
    3 electric - I can get them back - I can return them into my hand with reverse stream and get another 10 damage

Trainers: 18
    4 POR
    4 Oracle
    2 PETM - delcatty-ton-swampy finder
    2 switch
    3 Candy
    2 nav
    1 town volunteer
    It works better than I thought it would. I still prefer latias/ton/swampy/catty but this is good also. As far as limited damage, there is no limit to how many basic nrg you can return to your hand with suicune. I have retuned 5-6 at times to get a kill. With 2 swampy's on the bench it's a one turn recharge. Even though I have it in my current list, I still struggle with dunsparse. It just gets in the way. You need all 6 slots and you can't afford to leave it active til it's dead because swampy's power only allows attaching extra nrg to the active. All of your set ups listed need the 6 slots and they don't include sparce. For me the ideal set up for the list I posted is 1 catty, 1 ton, 2 swamperts, 1 swampert ex, and 1 suicune ex. It is not possible with dunsparse in play. I may go back to fan club. BTW if you want 3 swamperts in play, you should play 4 in your list.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  3. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

True, I'll ditch a Swampert EX for a Swampert - Water Call, but I'd like to keep the multi, because they can also act as water. Thanks for the help.

Anybody else?

Wooper

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Lol, Wooper removed my credit again! Gimme, gimme, gimme! X_X

But seriously, the 'Ton/Catty engine is the only good way to go with this, or you'll just clog up and fast. Here's my version:

Pokemon (25):
    4 Dunsparce
    4 Mudkip
    1 Marshtomp
    4 Swampert
    1 Swampert EX
    3 Suicune EX
    2 Skitty
    2 Delcatty
    2 Magnemite
    2 Magneton

Energy (19):
    17 Water
    2 Multi

Trainers (16):
    4 Reporter
    4 Oracle
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Professor Birch
    2 Nurse

5. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Your version is almost exactactly the same as my version. I guess great minds think alike...or maybe you just looked at mine and changed like 2 cards. I'll get you Pat! Or Archie! Whatever!

In the current format, I'm beginning to see more and more why people prefer Suicune EX: It doesn't need Archie. So yeah, I'd run something similar to Patriarch's or my third version, but there's only one obsticle in my way:

I'M BROKE!

wooper

6. Ez1

Ez1 New Member

I was hoping nobody would post this deck....
    but since it is up.....
    I have been play testing my version against
    several blaziken variants and it pounds
    them pretty consistently....

pokemon 23
    4 sparce
    2 delcatty
    2 skitty
    2 swampert ex
    3 swampert water call
    2 marshtomp
    4 mudkip
    2 suicune ex
    2 wobby
    energy 16
    12 water
    4 pyschic

trainers 21
    3 por
    4 oracle
    4 tv reporter
    2 warp point
    4 rare candy
    2 crystal shard
    2 fisherman

the wobbys ability to match up on rayquaza early has been
    very destructive to bar decks...
    suicune ex is a much better card than people give it credit for...
    the ability to move energy around with its first attack has proven helpful
    in many test games....
    it is not uncommon to get a second turn knockout on a rayquaza
    with this deck.....
    the swampert ex is generally a waste against fire decks....
    but against amphy etc it is a big plus....
    no amphy no aggron no need for the swampert ex

i also like the ton and latias versions....

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  7. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

This deck has been cirulating throughout the whole site for about a week now. I didn't invent it. I invented something very similar. That's what I shouldn't have released. Waaaah, now I feel dumb.

I think your version looks good, very similar to my first one, if it works for you, I have no fix, keep working,

Wooper

8. psycodad

psycodad New Member

I feel the same way.......

A couple of things, I recall that Gymbo posted the first cune ex/swampert deck. IMO you don't need 4 swamperts. 2 on the bench has been plenty for me.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  9. SuperWooper

SuperWooper New Member

Dude, the deck has been out before a I posted. I did not spoil it, I'm just asking for fixes in case I run this or in case others need guidelines for making one.
    You have two Swamperts: you do 80 damage a turn at the max, and this isn't enough. 3 Swampert is best. It's 90 damage a turn, which is 10 more. Every bit of damage counts.

Wooper

10. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Oh, that's right! There are only two or three different cards! Well, anyways...

I prefer the outright strategy of the deck as opposed to wasting one's time with tech. Tech clogs up the deck because you won't always run into your threat. I feel that this deck has the strength to combat Rayquaza with Magneton, and if it doesn't, then...iono! Walreign is closer and closer, folks, so be prepared!

11. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Dude, I didn't say you spoiled it. I simply agreed with EZ1. I played it today at the poke shaq and while I beat the only blaze ex deck I faced, I lost to kabutops, a rogue deck, and to gardy. It is OK but not great. Wobby hurts the deck bad.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  12. TheAnswer3

TheAnswer3 New Member

Eric: It being posted this week didnt do much of anything, i mentioned this deck to Foisy before anything came out, and many of the more known players have known about this deck for a while.

Anyway cool to hear it did okay at the shack:). Im assuming you beat Foisys Blaze EX deck? or was it somebody else? Your right about Wobby, it eats this deck apart, which is why Gardy beat you im sure.

Im still not so positive about this deck, it might beat an Inexperienced Blaziken player 2/3 but i know BAR can beat it and it will have issues with rogue things like tops.

Cya tomorrow(hopefully:)
    tA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.