Custom Avatar FAQ

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Absoltrainer, May 27, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Absoltrainer

Absoltrainer Active Member

Mods, please sticky this so we might have a decrease in the "How do I get a Custom Avatar?" threads.

Custom Avatars​
    If you are new to the PokeGym forums, then you may have noticed that some PokeGym members have Custom Avatars under their username. You may have also noticed that you are unable to figure out how to upload your own personal Avatar like some other members have done.

”Why can’t I upload one?”​
    The reason you cannot upload or use a Custom Avatar is because PokeGym rules allow for Custom Avatar uploads ONLY on special Custom Avatar days.

”When will the next Custom Avatar day be?”​
    These days are not on a consistent schedule, and do not occur in any special pattern.

The last (2) Custom Avatar occurred on:
    4/1/05 (April 1st, 2005)
    2/14/07 (February 14th, 2007)

So in truth, no one knows when the next Custom Avatar day will be.

”Why can’t we upload Custom Avatars whenever we want, like on other sites?”​
    The PokeGym has thousands of members on its boards. When an Avatar is uploaded, a Moderator must approve of it before it is displayed on a user’s profile. PokeGym is family oriented and all content needs to be PG because many children visit the site. By limiting the days that Custom Avatars can be uploaded on, the staff can make sure no inappropriate pictures appear as someone’s Avatar. It’s a long and tedious job for the staff to check every Avatar, and approve it, so the Custom Avatar days are far and few.

”Now what do I do?”​
    Wait.
    That is all you can do. Stay active on the forums and eventually you will come across an announcement for a Custom Avatar Upload day. When that comes, you’ll get the chance to upload your very own Custom Avatar.

~Patience is a virtue young Kriketune~.

2. poketo

poketo New Member

Great job summing this up!!
    Maybe on the Custom Avatar day(s) we could ask some admins or super mods for like like prizes for the best avatar of the day. :thumb:

3. Crystal Hikara

Crystal Hikara New Member

Very nicely organized, and to the point. I do hope this gets sticky-fied. However, maybe make a note about avatar contests? That's another way to get a possible avatar you want up, and you can share it with other members of the board...if it's accepted and wins in the contest.

4. drmario

drmario New Member

The reasoning makes sense, except that you can upload a profile picture anytime you want. Obviously avatars are seen by more people but your profile pic is also easily viewed.

5. Muscovy Level X

Muscovy Level X New Member

This should be used as a refrence. Good work!

6. Mew*

Mew* Active Member

I was actually thinking about writing one of these up just the other day. LOL, you beat me to it!

Good Job :thumb:

7. Absoltrainer

When parents or others who could be offended or see the images log on, I doubt most of them go profile surfing. Esspecially newer members. Avatars are much more public. Although what you say does hold truth.

Basically I went through a bunch of "Custom Avatar?" threads, and summed up what various mods/gym staff explained.

8. poketo

poketo New Member

Or if they dont sticky this they can tell people just to look on the FAQ portion of the sites tool bar >.>

FAQ page for Custom Avatars

9. Professor_Chris

Professor_Chris Active Member

If only it hadn't already been pointed out that the Gym already HAS an FAQ page. . .

10. Absoltrainer

ROFL, I never even knew that existed.

11. charmander rox

charmander rox New Member

Don't forget that it has been mentioned that staff members can get custom avatars on any day.

12. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I dunno, there are a lot of times where I wish I could change my avatar. BTW are animated ones allowed?

13. poketo

poketo New Member

Like this page that i linked to