Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Damage as an effect of an attack- a few questions

Black Mamba

While I was reading around the forums today, I came across this post, which is supposedly a question from the professor exam or something along those lines-

Please don't post q&a from the Prof Test, thanks.

This goes against everything I have ever thought on the matter. But it got me to thinking- how much of this would apply with Unown g? While obviously Unown's ability doesn't effect damage, that doesn't clear everything up. Wobb's body prevents effects/damage done to Wobb itself, which would account for it not taking damage, but for the Pikachu not to take damage, it would have to be an effect of an attack.

Another thing I noted- the bench damage from Salamence's attack is optional, as it reads, "You may do 40 damage instead of 80 to the Defending Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 40 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon.(Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon) This led to the thought that maybe you simply couldn't make the choice to do the bench damage effect, but that wouldn't be an effect on Wob, and the way the quote is worded, that doesn't sound like the case.

So I've come up with a couple different scenarios with different effects on attacks.

Salamence ex d vs. Pokemon with Unown g attached:

If the Salamence user chooses to do 40 damage instead of 80, is only the Pokemon with Unown g attached damaged, or are both damaged?

Lucario vs. Pokemon with Unown g attached:

When the attack Aura Sphere is used, is the opponent only allowed to do damage to the Pokemon with Unown g attached to it, or can they do damage to the benched Pokemon as well?

Those two cards are worded differently, so the application might be different for all I know.

I'm probably off here somewhere, so please show me the error of my ways so I can understand it better.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, your scenarios reckon without this ruling:
Compendium LvX said:
Dual Stream (Salamence ex δ - Dragon Frontiers)

Q. Can Salamance-EX use "Dual Stream" to do 40 damage to a Benched Pokémon if a Pokémon with "Safeguard" or Mysterious Shard is active?
A. The phrase "if you do" in the Dual Stream attack is the equivalent of "if you make this choice, then you can do this". You can still do 40 to the Bench. (Jan 4, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

And the prof test question is in error, as to the answer key. We'll ask that to be updated.

Last edited:
Back