Damage spreaders - Strength Charm a plus?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by zapatosunidos, Jan 14, 2008.

1. zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos New Member

When attaching Strength Charm to something like Prinplup or Lucario, if the active Pokemon is damaged, does the bench damage also get increased by 10?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. pichu bros. rox

pichu bros. rox New Member

3. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Strength Charm and Pluspower both say that they only increase damage done to an active pokemon. The wording both of them is a tad weird though,so if you do damage to yourself, it's increased ('cause technically you'd be damaging an active pokemon). However, neither increases damage to the bench, 'cause none of those pokemon are considered active at the time of damage.

4. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

It helps to read the card.

5. ShadowTogetic

ShadowTogetic New Member

Questions would probably decrease if cards were read like they were supposed to

6. Bolt

Bolt New Member

sometimes.

there's a lot of situations where what you think may not actually be the case...

7. zapatosunidos

zapatosunidos New Member

I have obviously read the card. I would not have opened myself up to this withering assault without having done so.

The text of Strength Charm, though, as opposed to Plus Power, is syntactically vague. The text of the card reads, as we all know, "Whenever an attack...does damage to the Active Pokemon, the attack does 10 more damage (...). In the case of Lucario and Prinplup, the attack not only does damage to the active (a necessary precondition for the card to have any effect) but also to a benched Pokemon (all of them, in Prinplup's case). It does not specify that the subject of that increased damage is only the Active Pokemon, unlike Plus Power, which is explicit: "the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokemon."

Especially in light of the subtle difference in wording, it is not out-of-bounds to ask for clarification from folks who presumably know the ruling on the card. I assure you that I will never post a question on the meaning of a card without having first read it thoroughly. That is my pledge to you.