David Y: 1st Place New Zealand nationals SN (undefeated) w/ GG

Discussion in 'Tournaments & Events Worldwide' started by davidy321, May 17, 2008.

1. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Basically here's a relatively short report with the main important details that happened.
    It's my last in the Senior division so I wanted to make the most of it.

To be honest, the Senior division is relatively lacking competition so I didn't need any techs or anything, even stadiums or anything along the lines of that. Having said that I still decided to go with the Absol version, because quite simply put, the only playtesting that I did was with friends from the masters division, meaning that the Absol seemed quite effective. Again, in truth, it wasn't too important which starter I played, or which deck. I had all the cards for pretty much most decks - i.e. Straight Banette, GG of course, Magmortar, Arithmetic, Beedrill etc.

In the end I went with Gardevoir - Gallade - Absol - Dusknoir - Claydol

Here is my list, but remember that it's NOT suited for competitive play, so don't bother stating the obvious..
    Also, I played 3Gallade/2Gardevoir rather than the other way around because quite frankly, ploxing a theme deck jank is relatively pointless and the quite Gallade ownage is much better. Also because a friend in the masters wanted 3 of my 5 Gardevoirs to play and because of that, since there was no point of playing 3 anyway (in my age group) I didn't go with lock, which perhaps arguably makes the Absol/Mars even more of a bad choie (not that it matters, like I said).

Fyi, Majestic Dawns was not legal.

Pokemon (20)
    4 Ralts (SW) I prefer the SW one because imo, 60 hp vs. 50 hp is quite a big difference, especially with factors such as bring down.
    2 Kirlia (SW)
    2 Gardevoir (SW)
    3 Gallade (SW)
    1 Gardevoir Lv.X
    4 Absol (SW)
    1 Duskull (DP)
    1 Dusknoir (DP)
    1 Baltoy (GE)
    1 Claydol (GE)
    ==================
    Energy (16)
    4 Double Rainbow
    2 Scramble (I probably should of played 3 in my age group... they'll be like w00t I KO your absol fool)
    1 Cyclone (Like warp point, gets rid of Cessation - n/a for my age group, and of course dusknoir ownage, also n/a)
    5 Psychic
    2 Fighting
    2 Darkness (basic)
    ==================
    Trainers (24)
    2 Warp Point
    4 Rare Candy
    1 Night Maintenance
    1 Time Space Distortion (should be 2NM rather than 1nm/1tsd imo)
    1 Strength Charm
    4 Celio's Network (still prefer over Bebe even though I play Claydol)
    3 TG Mars (Absol)
    3 TG Wager
    3 Roseanne's Research
    2 Lake Boundary (useless in my age group)

It was four swiss rounds, 45 minutes best out of three, cut top 2 which is UNTIMED best out of three.

Round 1 - Random with theme deck
    I had Absol start, and ownd his hand so badly, with TG Mars for the first two turns. He had 0/1 cards for the first five turns at least, and that's quite useless especially when his Pokemon out are Chimchar, Hippopotus (or whatever it's called) and Combee.. Funnily enough, in the two games (obviously went 2-0), I had 11/12 kos with bring down...

1-0

Round 2 - Vanessa with speed Blissey
    One of the better decks.
    I nearly got owned in one of the matches as I had two lone basics which one of got kod with Blissey/boost. (She only played 4/4 Blissey). I sent out my ralts (with one psychic energy) with my hand being DRE and Candy - nothing else. I topdeck Celio and ownage with Gallade. Second game was similar with being ownd my Blissey, but I had better set up this game with a benched Gardevoir, so getting out the Gallade to own wasn't reliant on top decking. I think, imo she misplayed her cessation crystal, although it wouldn't of made the win/loss difference since I had a Gardy lv. x in my hand and warp point (warp point to Gardy use evolve to Lv. x and use both powers).
    I went 2-0

2-0

Round 3 - Simon J with Infernape/Delcatty w/ 1-0-1 Typhlosion tech
    The only way this deck could beat me is basically a turn 1 Infernape - with candy, DRE.
    In game 1, my Absol discarded a candy and infernape! After that GG, literally my entire bench was set up. Active Absol with darkness, 2 Gardevoir, 2 Gallade all with a DRE and other energy, and Claydol with fighting and something else. Obviously won that game. Second game he killed two Pokemon turn 1 with candy/infernape/dre and dre again. Then I got out my Gallade with scramble, and after that he can't do anything. DRE once prizes were even (4-4). 2-0

3-0

Round 4 - Julia with Lucario and Exeugtor
    Game 1 she actually won, because she flipped heads with Riolu, then evolves into Lucario and kills my only two basics, since I had a terrible hand (i.e. no celio/draw/roseanne). I used one wager and won but drew into nothing. The next two games I owndd completely - and she there's basically no way she can win once I get even one Gallade out. 2-1 =/

4-0

Finals vs. Simon J (same as rond 3)
    Completely owned him 2-0. We both got set up in both games, but my deck being set up is obviously far superior to his, with him not even being able to KO one Gallade. In game two funnily enough, my Claydol ownd 2 of his Delcatty, and str. charm ownd his delcatty ex with Claydol again.

So yeah, second year running I win seniors, and as it's my last year I'll hope to make the most of it at worlds. The other winners posted on another thread.
    http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73193

Thanks to James and GamePlayer for running the event so professionally. Thanks to Croftminster for the event/prizes and of course Pokemon USA.
    I must also say it is pretty damn lame that two of the 1st place trophies arrived in the mail broken and the third one was knocked down by someone from a MTG tournament (and broken). I have to wait to get another.... lame.

Congrats to all participants and especially top placers.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. Jason

Jason New Member

gj on winning as well as 3peat seniors...

3. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

4. KaMewie

KaMewie New Member

GJ on the win. Have fun at worlds ;). Make asia proud! =D

5. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Haha yup.. All four of our players that are competition are asian.. Team New Zealand..pffffft.

6. Jason

Jason New Member

from what i heard, some 2/3 of the entire nats attendence are asians.

7. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Yeah that's about it...

8. amphyrules

amphyrules New Member

Good job, and i love your honesty about playing in the seniors.

Props.

9. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Thanks to you too, and hope to see you at worlds again this year.

10. Jason

Jason New Member

just remember not to sign up in Masters again this year...like you did last year... :p

11. Tego

Tego New Member

Ah, you're the Senior guy who signed up for Masters, davidy321? I remember you! I'm the Norwegian judge who got kind of confused and tried to help you resolve the issue. :p Congrats on winning Nats again!

I'm surprised you find Senior's level that much lower than Masters. In Norway, Senior's level of competition is usually very high, and I see matches there that can easily rival the intensity of Masters matches. But it might just be that we have many casual Masters players and Seniors are greater in numbers and ambitions.

12. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Hey Eskil!
    I remember you too... thanks a lot for your help, the beginning of the event was quite stressful for me as you can imagine!

I completely agree with what you said, I just mean that in New Zealand that is how it currently is. Masters is WAY more competitive than seniors/juniors here.
    I just thought it would be better to state that, as it is the truth (didn't want to sound too stupid haha) and therefore was my explanation of why certain cards were played over others, for example 3 Gallade over 3Gardevoir.

I absolutely believe that the level of competition for seniors, and even juniors is very high for the world events, as well as many other high level events, such as international nationals or US regionals etc. Although I must also admit only very very few seniors (and even less) juniors are at the very top level of play (if you know what I mean). Admittingly I'm definitely not one of them.

Thanks again for last year! Hope to see you again

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  13. Fireborn

Fireborn New Member

Congrats, it surprises me that you had nearly no competition from the sound of it!

I'd change your report to get rid of the r-word, though. I find it inappropriate for this forum, and I'm sure the mods would agree.

14. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Thanks - and I've changed it.

15. Fireborn

Fireborn New Member

Cool, best of luck at Worlds! =D

16. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

I'd just like to point out that although seniors/juniors were relatively competition free, masters was quite competitive, and we had 90% archtypes, 75% of those being played by skilled players.

In masters we had

2 banette
    1 arithmetic
    3 gardevoir/gallade/plox
    3 magmortar/blaziken
    1 magmortar/typhlosion
    1 skittles / garchomp tech line (about 2-1-2)

(and probably a little more that i forgot)

So yeah. And obviously I'm not trying to compare with US

Just saying we aren't themedeck land

17. Ring-of-Magma

Ring-of-Magma New Member

Hey nice work winning it. It was cool meeting you. I was the guy who came 3rd in masters.

It was fun, but there was a few cards i didn't get in time like wagers and warp points etc. Next year I'll be more prepared and definitly try to make it to the finals. Only thing lacking this year was the top 2 cut. Should have been top 4 IMO.

18. davidy321

davidy321 New Member

Yeah I agree with the top cut thing. But there is an 'official' way of calculating top cut that the tournament organizer used, which basically means the less people, the lower the top cut number is.

In a big event there's usually at least a top 8 cut.
    Next year will definitely be bigger imo.

It sucks in some cases, such as you going 3-0 to 3-1 not making it.

Good meeting you too, and I'll probably see you again in near future anyway.