Day of Rememberance

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by onederlnd, Sep 11, 2003.

1. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

Well, today -- September 11, 2003 -- is a day to remember those who fell victim in the World Trade Center back on September 11, 2001. NO mater how big or small they were, everyone involved should be remembered.

When the 'event' happened, I was sitting at this computer, on PokeRuins, when a thread popped up about it. Myself and a few others gave continuous updates on what was happening. I remember the emotion of people around here, and watching those on TV... I can still remember some of the faces that I saw.

Just a note on this thread if you choose to reply. DO NOT turn it into an anti-war thread. Lets just remember those who were killed in the attack.

2. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

Then the RUINS too passed that day.

WHAT I am displeased with is, OK, LET's pray for the souls of those who past away, LET's pray for those grieving for their LOVED ones who passed away this day, and for US.

BUT We must ALSO pray for our 'enemies', for anyone who SHALL use violence and mass murder to send a message. PRAY to overcome ignorance, cultural misunderstanding, and to BETTER understand each other.

SO much gets in the way =/

Let's pray for PEACE. WORLD PEACE. Yes impossible but if we don't strive for the impossible, what SHALL we expect of us and the world?

*that is if you are the praying type, if not, to each their own*

3. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

Being on the West Coast, I woke up to this horror. My clock radio is set to my local NPR affiliate, and I woke, hearing that there was a fire in the World Trade Center, and possibly a small plane had gone into it.

I turned on the TV in our bedroom, just in time to see the second plane go in to the other tower. My lord...:(

I had to turn it off and get my kids up and ready for school. I had the radio on here next to my 'puter, but I did NOT put the TV on; that's one of our house rules, no TV on school mornings. Got the kids to school, came back and put the TV on as long as I could stand it, then put the radio (NPR, then one of the few non-Clear Channel stations, who made the decision to only give news updates when there was something NEW to report; otherwise they kept to THOUGHTFUL music programming) back on and surfed the news sites for updates.

I remember posting to the community at the Ruins until THAT went down that day, also. That was one of the most difficult things about that day: we had a good community there and my, and others first instinct was to talk with people I knew (I did not have AIM at the time). The admins of the Wizards of the Coast boards made the decision that discussion would ONLY go on in one thread, on the 'Community General' board; all other discussion on seperate community boards would be locked. Well dammit: I wanted to talk and mourn and rage with the people I KNEW...not complete strangers from the Magic, DnD, ISRP, etc. boards. There were people from the 'Gym who were in the DC and NYC areas who this affected directly...and I wanted to know if they were okay and not have to sift through pages and pages and pages of posts before finding one from someone I knew. For example, former 'Gym mod Joshman made several posts about his father, who worked at the Pentagon; for a frightening amount of time, they did not know where he was, though he finally made it home through all the traffic, etc. okay.

But I have to say that the TV news coverage of this is what finally, completely turned me off to network news. The re-running of the plane going in to the tower, the footage of people jumping from the towers, then later the towers falling...over and over and OVER...the wild speculation when there was nothing else new to report...cameras in the faces of people who had lost family members, friends, loved ones...it disgusted me. The catchy slogans and dramatic music 'bumpers' each network felt they had to come up with...it just made me sick.

I kept the tv off on the anniversary last year, except to try and watch one of the musical tribute shows. That was a mistake; I'm sorry, I don't need to see zoom-in closeups of people weeping in the audience, with an immediate cut-away once the performance ended to commercials pimping the network's new season of 'must-see' garbage. The tv will stay OFF this year; I can 'remember' quite well all on my own, thankyouverymuch...

namuamidabutsu,,

'mom

4. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

I work in Washington, DC, and remember all too well the hours-long gridlock as the city tried to empty, as most government agencies had evacuated and sent all non-essential personnel home (who could get home?).

I, too, soon tired of the never-ending repetition on TV of the day's attrocities. It was real, yet sureal.

God Bless the USA.

5. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

I was in my Goverenment class (how ironic) at East High School, when the school tv was showing the scene of the plane striking the second tower. It wasn't long after that when I saw both towers collapsed. Many lives were lost that horrible day. May they be alive in a better place today.

As for this world...I pray for peace and love...for all of us.

6. Baboon

Baboon New Member

I must have been in Algebra when it happened, because when we went to German, it was on TV... Was kinda scary because I sorta live between like all 3 locations. NYC is to the east, Washington is to the south, and the one in PA... was to the west... Nothing really happened here though.

Anyways, today, as with 2002, our smaller band at school (me being one of them) all came in early, before 7, got all in our uniforms, and marched out and did a flag-raising ceremony with God Bless America, Amazing Grace, and the national anthem.
    While I don't know anyone that was killed, I saw a number of people who did...
    Let's just hope they don't do something like this again.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  7. Dunjohn

Dunjohn New Member

Y'know, it's strange. This happened quite early in America, but on this side of the Atlantic, a perfectly ordinary day was already underway. It's that utter normality that feels wierd when I think back on it.

When the first plane hit, I would have been sitting in the lecture threatre, counting down the last few minutes of a Sociology lecture. The first plane exploded. Nothing happened over here. The lecture continued on for another few minutes, then ended.

It was my last class for the day - I liked that day of the week, it wound up at 3. We spilled out into the corridors. There were no hushed groups of people crowded around mobile phones. I exitted the building. If I hurried, I knew I'd catch the 3.15 bus at the hospital. It's a small private bus company, with drivers that people get to recognise. About half of them like to have the radio on. Today, we had a driver who preferred to leave it off. I took a seat at the back and spent the next 30 minutes gazing out at the scenery.

I got home easy enough. I plonked my bag down in the corner of the kitchen. The way our living room is arranged, the sun shines in on the t.v, so my younger sister usually closes the curtains, a habit which drives my mother crazy. I could see through the glass on that door that the room was dark, so I presumed she was home. I called out, "I'm home!" I was surprised when mum and my older sister called out from the living room, "John, get in here!"

That was about an hour after the first crash. The towers had probably fallen as I stepped off the bus. The rest of the day was something of a blur. That day's paper seemed to be from another planet, making no mention of the attacks. The death figures were still chaotic and estimatic. One one radio station, the dj recieved reports that there were actually still four more planes in the air, something later proven incorrect. He ended that report by saying, "It's hard to listen to music, with the day that's in it, but I'll try this," and then played "New York Minute". That got played a few times over the following weeks.

Anyhow, that was my experience of the day.