DBZ Budokai Review

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Dek, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Dek

Dek New Member

Well, I rented DBZ: Budokai for the GCN yesterday, and all I'm gonna say is wow. This is a pretty good game to get, IMO

Story: Well, there isnt much to say about the story. If you've watched the Saiyan saga through the Cell games, then you have a good idea.

Gameplay: The gameplay is somewhat different compared to other fighting games. Its seems very easy at first, then very hard, then back to very easy. Either way, when you get used to the engine, you will start winning in no time.

Graphics: Atari did a nice job on the graphics for the GCN version. They gave it a little bit of Cel shading, so now the game looks very similar to the anime series itself.

Sound: The sound is the best i've heard in a while. Using a unique music set as well as the actual voices from the anime series, you will start feeling like your watching the series (again)

Overall: If you've been looking for a good adaptation, then look no furthur because this is a good one to get.

Down Sides: On the negative side, I wish that this game had more stuff in it. I havent found everything yet, but still. I only have 2 more characters to unlock (Hercule and Saiyaman) and I've only been playing the game for 2 days now. I also wish that the story mode was a little longer. I was able to complete Goku's storyline withing 2-3 hours and able to beat the extra chapters in no time.

Score: 89%

Positives:
    + Good graphics
    + Great sound
    + good upgrades/unlockables

Negatives:
    - not enough unlockables
    - really short storyline
    - constant/rapid shift of difficulties between game modes

2. SuperSaiyanEevee

SuperSaiyanEevee New Member

I have this game as well and I have to agree with you. Easy to Hard to Easy etc. The graphics are great as well as the sound. There are a lot of attacks though, I just wish they had longer Story Mode like you said. I'd give it: 8/10 Pretty god game IMO ;)

~Eevee

3. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

meh -- my opinion was definately different - It's just not deep enough to stay captivating.

4. johnznothere

johnznothere New Member

In Budokai 2, i dont get that why they didn't put a story mode. It seems like a good game except the "Dragon World..." It's kind of a stupid board game... Other parts r great...

5. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

yeah, the fighting style in the second one was TERRIBLE, It's become a rapid rock-paper-scizzors match, all fights are a repenetive bore.

6. SuperSaiyanEevee

SuperSaiyanEevee New Member

I haven;t tried Budokai 2 yet, is it on GCN?

7. Elite Trainer Raven

Elite Trainer Raven New Member

Budokai 2 is only available on the PS2.

I feel Budokai was a cheap port to the GameCube with different graphics to it. Cel shading is a unique idea, but it's clearly not as great as Budokai 2's (where as you can actually see the outlining of characters' muscles instead of seeing what may be Goku's arm fused with his wrist). The voices are still bad. Say what you want, I still believe the people FUNimation hired are TERRIBLE. Especially Piccolo's. The fighting engine is abit weird. You have the ability to fly..but not like the anime. The only way to fly, is to knock someone in the air or be knocked into the air. You can't jump or duck. Even though this game was being released in both the US and Japan, a few small details were mixed around (yes, I'm nitpicky about this. :p) Such as Trunks' death happening much after Cell reappears from exploding on Kaio-sama's planet. Originally, he dies the moment everyone realizes Cell's returned.

The game is decent, at most. The fighting engine needs some tweaks. One thing I hated was how everyone has pretty much the exact same moves with different names. That needed tweaking as well. Voices. I don't care if they said to Gamepro that there was barely any room on the disc. It was a poor excuse. The game was to cater to the hardcore fans, not rambunxious fanboys who'll buy anything with the Dragon Ball logo slapped on it, unlike other games (Taiketsu's the top offender). There are people such as myself who prefer the original Japanese voice actors much over the English ones. Especially since the only people these guys have worked for when it comes to dubbing anime is FUNimation.

Meh, if you have a PS2 and a GameCube, rent it on the PS2 since it's better looking and abit easier to get used to the controls. If you have one or the other, rent it. Not buy. The game's easily a weekend rental, it's basically how long it'll take to complete.

Oh yes, Krillin is easily the most broken character...and I thank Atari for making him pay back all those times he got beaten down in one hit. >_> And the Legend of Mr. Satan (Hercule) mode is hilarious. o_O

Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  8. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

Just buy soul cali 2.