deckly decisions (Switch/Warp Point, Copycat/Oak's Research, etc...)

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by HYPER EEVEE, Nov 2, 2003.

1. HYPER EEVEE

HYPER EEVEE Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

[CHRISBO EDIT - Fixed title to be more descriptive.]

I often face these decisions while making a deck so please help
    switch OR warp point
    Switch is always a safety net but warp point can always screw your opponent,b ut some times it will screw you
    copycat OR oak's research
    research is the saftey net in the decision here but copcat can always provide the boost you need
    moo moo, OR oran berry
    Oran berry is the safety net here but moo moo has a 75% chance of having a equal or greater value

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2003
  2. dkates

dkates New Member

Switch or Warp Point? Switch, but if I had Warp Points, I'd use them too.

Copycat or Oak's Research? I lean toward Copycat, but I will sometimes use Oak's Research and Copycat.

Moo-Moo Milk or Oran Berry? For me, it's more "Moo-Moo Milk or Potion". For me, Moo-Moo, but Potion's not a bad choice either.

3. The Shepherd

The Shepherd New Member

Switch or Warp Point: I guess this depends on what type of deck you have. I like to have 2 swtich and 2 warp point in my sceptile deck.

Copycat or Research: Copycat isnt as reliable as Research. In Eon everyone has hands with like 4 cards, so i would suggest Research.

Oran Berry or Moo Moo Milk: Oran berry is better because its reliable. Also, its a %50 chance not a %75 chance. Whenver you flip a coin its always a %50 chance, even if you flip multiple coins. Research probability properties on some website. :p

4. The Shepherd

The Shepherd New Member

Warp point is good in certain situations. Say for example they are using their active pokemon to stall while they only have 1 pokemon on the bench that is being evolved/built up. Warp point forces them to switch it out so you can get first attack on them.

5. Baboon

Baboon New Member

Switch or Warp Point? I'll go Warp Point here. Just look at it this way- Either way, you get to change your Pokemon. But in the worst situation, your opponent will send up something just as bad as the Defending Pokemon. No different than if you had only used Switch. (True, it may be worse by using Warp Point, but in most games, players will only have one real threat at any given time, usually the Active.)

Oak's Research or Copycat? Both. :p In almost every Modified deck I've made in a while, I've used both. 3 of each is enough for the beginning of a powerful Trainer engine.

Finally, there's the eternal Healing question. Like dkates, it's always Moo Moo Milk or Potion. I tend to use Moo Moo here. There's a 75% chance of at least 20 removed. That risk of failing is compensated by the equal chance of removing 40. Either is fine though.

6. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Those cards are really case sensitive. It depends on what kind of deck you're running.

7. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Switch is safer but I'm liking Warp Point more and more. I have had times where I needed each specifically.
    Copycat and Oak's Research should both be used. I'm finding Oak's to do better more often though it depends on the situation.
    Potion is better than Moo-Moo and usually better than Oran. Oran is better in certain decks and against certain decks. I don't know of a deck where I'd use Moo-Moo over Potion. EVIL flips. :D

8. ShadowCard

ShadowCard Active Member

I like Warp Point, i've seen it mess up more opponents than it not affect them or positively affect them. Then again, that's the people i play. If you know your league(s) likes free retreat and babies, use switch. If you know your pokemon can overpower most basic or stage 1 (or even 2), Warp Point can be a better choice. It's a know your deck know your opponent decision to me.

Both Copycat and Oak's research. If you can only have 1, than Copycat. Capycat is more flexible since can help you draw or help you stall.

Oran berry, definitely. Some like Moo Moo Milk though, i don't.

9. Mob2099

Mob2099 New Member

combos.
    switch with cyclone.
    birch with desert shaman.
    potion/oran berry with healing berry.

10. SuperSaiyanEevee

SuperSaiyanEevee New Member

I actually play 3 Research nd 3 CopyCat
    I always play 4 OranBerry never Moo-Moo
    Switch because WarpPoint is pointless

11. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Last edited: Nov 3, 2003
  12. SuperSaiyanEevee

the thing is a lot of people play delcatty now and birch so you can get a lot of cards with copycat. Especially since all the drawpower in Eon comes from Supporters, there hand will be backed and and they'll be stuck with a large hand. :)

~Eevee

13. Pablo

Pablo New Member

for my metagame, its always copycat, people here use both solrock/lunatone in the same deck, therefore, their hands exceed 10 cards, so copycat is the best card to choose here. I usually like to play 2 switch and 2 warp point in the same deck, but if i cant fit both, ill go with warp point just because it disrupts your opponent a bit.

14. HYPER EEVEE

Usually this is what I do switch, copycat, and oran berry
    switch just because its safe
    copycat for its abillity to give you the big hand SuperSaiyanEevee brings up the fact that the only draw power is supporters so if they used fisherman or something like that where they are not able to get to minimize their hand quickly by using copycat or something else
    oran berry just because its safer than moomoo and even though it can not build up like potion it can save you from poisioning
    Though I tend to stick to these I do sometimes use the other options

15. SuperSaiyanEevee

But sometimes, Warp Point may be part of a Strategy like with Octillery or some thing, u never know, but most of the time it really depends on the deck u are using. ;/

~Eevee

16. HYPER EEVEE

Thats true so thats why I said usually, but if the deck really isnt based on certain trainers is basically what Im asking :lol:
    congrats on winning saturday. :p

17. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

You know what I find funny? The main reason people don't play copycat is because you could get a very small hand. But in return, they play research just because, let me quote you, "Most of the time you want more cards in your hand" and because of that, more people will play copycat to counter their opponent's big hands. Copycat wins both ways!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  18. SuperSaiyanEevee

Thanx H.Eevee, so yeah, my final list is;

CopyCat V.S. Research/TIE!
    Warp Point V.S. Switch/Switch!
    Oran Berry V.S. MooMoo/Oran!

And for Best Overall; CopyCat!

CopyCat is just a great card! Now Birch is common and so is Delcatty as I said before but my overall pick is CopyCat.

~Eevee

P.S. H.Eevee, are u coming Fri.?

19. The Shepherd

The Shepherd New Member

Wes... Is there a league or something on Friday? Or is he just coming to your house?

:p

20. SuperSaiyanEevee

JJ, I got to Chess Tournies on Fridays, not PKMN league :p

~Eevee