Delta Reduction Vs. Vigorous

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by clement30, Feb 24, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. clement30

clement30 New Member

Meganium d's Delta Reduction reads " During your opponent's next turn, any damage done by attacks of the Defending Pokemon is reduced by 30 ( before applying weakness and resistance)"

Torterra Lv.X's Vigorous Dash reads as " Does 30 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon.(Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon). Torterra does 30 damage to itself."

My question is, does the Meganium d's Delta Reduction prevent the damage that Torterra does to itself?

2. BloodDraek

BloodDraek New Member

it says any damage done by attacks of the defending pokemon so I believe the attack just does 70 damage no damage to itself or to the bench.

So I'm pretty sure the answer is yes

3. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Very interesting question. Whilst I'm 100% sure that the bench damage will be reduced to zero. It is not so clear that the self damage will be similarly reduced. It all depends upon Unown G being a translation error rather than a meta rule on 'attack'.

4. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

I'm no judge... But the 30 damage done to Torterra is a result of Torterra's attack (meeting the "Defending Pokemon's attacks" requirement). Thus, No damage is done to the bench (for sure), no damage is done to Torterra, and only 70 damage is done to Meganium.

IIRC, Metal Energy reduces self damage, meaning effects on the pokemon calling the attack can reduce damage done to itself (like Delta Reduction)

5. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

It's not a meta rule (at least, not that we've been told). Note the ruling refers to upcoming errata.

6. clement30

clement30 New Member

^^ So are you saying that Delta Reduction reduces damage done to myself?

7. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Per the wording, yes.

8. clement30

clement30 New Member

Ok, thanks, just needed to clarify this before states.

9. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

well, just bear in mind that you can't do it to yourself.
    Your opponent has to do it to you.