Delusions of Gallantry -- G&G with Gyarados

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by bullados, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Back in the old days (Eon), I had a deck called Strange Delusions based around Psy Shadow Gardy, Gardy ex, Wobbuffet, and Fast Ball. Now that Gardy is good again, I wanted to revisit Psy Shadow, but in a new way...

Pokemon (22):
    4 Ralts SW
    3 Kirlia SW
    2 Gardevoir SW
    1 Gardevoir PK
    1 Gardevoir lvX
    3 Gallade
    4 Pachirisu
    2 Stantler
    1 Magikarp MT
    1 Gyarados MT

Trainers (21);
    2 Wager
    4 Celio
    4 POV
    2 Night Maintenance
    4 Candy
    4 Rosy
    1 TSD

Energy (17):
    4 DRE
    2 Scramble
    8 Psychic
    3 Fighting

Yes, I know. Another GG. Many people have done the Gyarados TecH, but I haven't seen a build use it with Psy Shadow to guarantee a 1 for 80 against Magmortar, or 1 for 100 against MagX, both of which Gyarados is meant to counter. And then, they can't really hit it, because they know that I'll just smack em back, either with Gyara or with PK Gardy for the KO. Other than that, it's pretty much the standard GG setup. I included 6 starters cuz I simply don't ever want to start with a Ralts or a Magikarp, though Ralts can at least hold her own for a couple of turns.

I realize that there's a little more setup in this deck than in many other GG decks. That's simply the way that I build decks. Especially in early builds, I tend towards consistency over TecH. I'll admit to 3 TecH cards in this deck, and that's about it. Even Psy Shadow isn't TOO much of a TecH, as it allows for me to go from nothing to full Gallade instantly, with a Candy and a DRE.

Thoughts? Questions? Plz don't post if you're only going to rip me for simply using GG, thx.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. falcom4ever

falcom4ever New Member

I like the idea, cause you can ohko any magmar or magmortar who's active ^^.

And you can also ohko the most of maggy's friends like magneton pk, delcatty, absol and typhlosion.

But there is THE problem. If you start with magykarp, you will have a very high probability of losing :/, the probability is very low, but not impossible.

The good point of gyarados is that instead of dusknoir, gyarados can play agains any maggy deck and don't need rare candy.

Should be tryed before play it one a real competition.

3. bullados

Out of 4 games, I've had 2 Stantler starts and 2 Pachi starts. Lone Karp starts should be limited to <5% of my games, given that there are 10 other Basics, and 6 of them are "ideal" starters.

It's not quite a OHKO on them, but it's pretty close. It's enough to make them want to think HARD about their next move, and that's enough to get me back from a not-so-good situation of having to flip 3 prizes to pop a Magmortar.

I'm resistant to using a Stage 2 TecH line on principle mostly. I just think that it's too difficult to get it moving when I need it moving.

4. Dennis Hawk

Dennis Hawk New Member

If you take off 1 Gallade and 1 Stantler, you can fit in 1-1 Cresselia. It's godly with Gardevoir PK, and can help with Gyarados also.

5. bullados

I was thinking about it, but the deck doesn't run consistently enough as-is, especially against Mag and a couple of decks in my area. My basic strategy is to Pachi into a Stantler and a full bench, then Stantler into a complete setup. Hasn't worked out exactly like that yet. If I were going to fit in Cress, I'd take out Gyara, as regular Cress is an average starter at best, and I have the worst topdecking luck in the universe.

6. bullados

I've been thinking about this deck (I know, bad idea).

Weavile seems like it would be a capable backup in here. It helps against a 50/50 matchup (DRE/60 against Magmortar), and against an autoloss (Banette). It's a little flimsy for a S1 in this format, but it's got a VERY nice weakness, and a SPECTACULAR retreat. Thoughts?

I was also thinking about dropping 1 Gallade for another Night Maintenance. I found that, after the first 3-4 hits, Gallade becomes largely useless, spending most of his time just Blading everything back to the bench and setting up for Gelx. I'm not terribly worried about getting prize screwed. I'm more worried about getting Energy screwed, especially late game after a couple of Gallade and a Gardy have been taken care of.

Thoughts? Opinions? Thx for the help!

7. Ricardo

Ricardo New Member

Weavile (SW) will be awesome by Shadow charge. And that's a pretty good deck there.

8. TSDMage

TSDMage New Member

Nice looking deck, and looks like a nice use of tech, Bullados. I find the Stantlers a little odd, though. Why not cut them for a 1-1 Dugtrio or another 1-1 Gyrados?

9. Flygon999

Flygon999 New Member

Try + 1-1 line of Gyrados by taking out:

-1 Fighting
    -1 Stantler
    +1 Magikarp
    +1 Gyrados

10. bullados

The problem with a +1-1 Gyarados line? Magikarp. I REALLY don't want to start with a Karp, and I've had too many close calls with this particular build. 1-1 seems to be working out well enough. Also, I'm particularly bad at prizing key cards at bad times. Having my lone Stantler prized in the first 3 turns is REALLY bad for my deck's strategy (Pachi into Stantler for setup). Taking out a Fighting is really not an option. Late game, Sonic Blade is my BEST attack, makes my opponent really have to think, and gives me time to get a LvX or a Gyarados going.

Also, any thoughts about taking out the Gyarados, a Gallade, and the RS Gardy for a 1-1 Weavile, a Gardy ex, and another SW Gardy? That's the main TecH change that I'm thinking about right now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.