Determining where to host worlds?

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by sdrawkcab, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdrawkcab

sdrawkcab Forum Moderator

Since worlds has become a smaller event (some say in order to make the event more "portable") If pokemon ever takes the World Championships international, I think it would be cool if they'd host it in the Defending Champion's country. I understand there are many downsides to this, I just wanted to know what the community thought about this idea.

2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

considering that POP/PUI has stated that planning an event the size of worlds takes a minimum of two years, i doubt that could ever happen...

'mom

3. smacktack15

smacktack15 New Member

They could do Worlds ever 2 years and make it a bigger event.

4. ShawofMordor

ShawofMordor New Member

Mmm I am vetoing this one right now because I love going to Worlds.

5. sdrawkcab

Such a pesismistic :rolleyes:
    That would have been one of the downfalls I was talking about :tongue:

6. smacktack15

smacktack15 New Member

Worlds may be fun to have every year but, (if we had FRLG-on), we could easily do this and it would be better (competition-wise). Also, I think POP/PUI should bring back Gym Challenge so Worlds would be bigger.

7. TheDarkTwins

TheDarkTwins Active Member

What happens if like this year you have different champions in all 3 age groups? How do you can you choose one over the other? You cant. It is a good idea but I dont think it is a possibility.

Drew

8. Mew

Mew New Member

I'm thinking flip a coin.
    I'd feel sorry for the poor guy that needs the coin to land on it's side though... :p

9. Pablo

Pablo New Member

ROFL Mew.

It's a cool idea, but yeah not doable atm.

10. sdrawkcab

Offer to the majority, or if there isn't any, to the 10- and pass it on upwards if they decline.

11. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

wow, so taking into consideration the *realities* of putting on an event like this...which doesn't 'only' involve getting a ballroom or convention center for main event use, but also booking an enormous number of hotel rooms etc...is considered being 'pessimistic'? =/

and i'm not even getting into the passport/visa/minor child travelling outside the country with/without custodial parent-type issues sure to happen...nor the fact that as long as the *majority* of players at worlds are from the US/NA that it's a lot cheaper/easier for PUI to bring in the 'smaller' amount of int'l players to the US than send the 'larger' amount of US players to somewhere outside the US.

but i guess i'm just being pessimistic, rather than realistic. sorry...*shrugs*

'mom

12. sdrawkcab

Oh be nice, I was only being sarcastic....I even had the ":rolleyes:" :thumb:

13. Scipio

Scipio New Member

It should be rotated around the continents though. I'd like to go to Worlds too but soit...

14. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

The location of worlds is determined by where the top brass at PUI want to go on vacation.
    Why else would it have been held in such a cost-ineffective place as Hawaii?

15. sdrawkcab

To comprimise with Japan?

16. Burninating_Torchic

Burninating_Torchic New Member

So, I guess that means we're going to hold it in Europe next year to compromise with every other country in the world, amirite?
    =/

If that was the true goal, why not just hold it in Japan and limit US invites further? There are other locations (Australia, for example) that would make a better compromise, and probably a cheaper one, too.

17. The Gorn

The Gorn Active Member

It should be in the continental US every year, bouncing from coast-to-coast (with putting it in the middle every 5th year).

See, that was easy.

18. hectagonman

hectagonman New Member

^Works for me

19. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

5th year?

Third year.

Once on the East Coast, once in the Midwest/Southwest, once on the West Coast.

I can probably rattle off about a half dozen strong Pokemon cities in the Midwest/Southwest that are pretty far from anything. Chicago, St Louis, Memphis, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft Worth, Oklahoma City. WHERE'S THE LOVE?!? :rolleyes:

20. Mew

Mew New Member

I'm tellin' you.
    The MidWest and the Mississippi Valley region all have massive player bases. However, when you look at Florida and Cali, I can see why worlds is there. (They have player attendance upwards of 100+ at just states)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.