Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Difference between "Pokémon-ex" and "Pokémon EX"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick15

I'm sorry if this has already been covered before, but I never found the post that discussed it... But just what is the dfference between old skool "Pokémon-ex" and the new "Pokémon EX"? Everywhere I've looked, the only thing anyone ever said that separated the two was quote-unquote "gameplay mechanics", but frankly I don't think they knew what the words that were coming out of their mouth meant, because both Ex's use the same "KO = Two prizes" mechanic.

But perhaps I missed something here, so maybe someone here knows what the real diference is? Is it a technicality, as in cards that say "search your deck for a Pokémon-ex" can't be used to search for "Pokémon EX" cards?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss here, so any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

How "differetly" are they promoted in Japan? Like, does TPI say "this new Pokemon EX are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Pokémon-ex"? Or do they not even mention the old ex's and simply say "this is a new card type: Pokémon EX!". And even then, is "new" implied to be completetly new to the entire game, or simply new to the BW sets?

I mean, technically "Pokémon Tools" are a new mechanic.... new to the BW sets, sure, but tht's just a technicality.

EDIT: Oops, I thought you wrote "promoted", not "pronounced". In that case is it pronounced "Ee-Ecks" or "Eckss"? Is that the ONLY different thing about it?

I think many of the old ex's were not basics (e.g. Blaziken ex, Swampert ex, Blastoise ex). Of course, there were some good basic ex's (Lugia ex). The new EX's seem to be all basics, at least thus far.

EXs also seem to be only Legendaries.
I guess the "Gameplay" mechanics could refer to cards like Celio's Network(which couldn't grab Pokemon-ex) for the unlimited format. Could Celio's snag a Mewtwo EX now?

I don't think there is a difference. EX and ex are the same thing really. Celio should not be able to take the mewtwo because Celio says Pokemon ex and Mewtwo is still a Pokemon ex. it should not matter if it's ex, EX or Ex.

We'll have to wait for a ruling on whether there is a difference between -ex and EX when it comes to cards like Celio and DRE.

All depends on how the Japanese card designers want it to work.

I think many of the old ex's were not basics (e.g. Blaziken ex, Swampert ex, Blastoise ex). Of course, there were some good basic ex's (Lugia ex). The new EX's seem to be all basics, at least thus far.

Actually, that's just coincidence. All of the exs in ex Ruby and Sapphire (the first set with ex cards) were basics as well, then they became Stage 1s later.

EXs also seem to be only Legendaries.

I would bet that this is simply coincidence. Pokemon would be making a huge mistake if they didn't make EX varients of the Black and White Starters.

I think this has a lot of far-reaching implications or unlimited - especially for cards such as Desert Ruins and DRE (as said above).

Here's to hoping that PCL considers them "essentially" the same thing.

Here is the sum total difference between Pokemon ex and Pokemon EX.
Pokemon ex has the letters in lower case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon echs".
Pokemon EX has the letters in upper case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon eee echs".

That's it.
Different name, so you can have 4 Mewtwo ex and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck.
Things that affect ex Pokemon don't effect EX Pokemon.

Originality? Fail.
But there it is.

^ Sad to hear, but glad to know it in advance. D:

(...Guess it's time to give that Dark Vileplume/Mewtwo-EX/Ancient Tomb deck a whirl.)

Originality? Fail.
But there it is.

I see it as TPC not letting their crummy past mistakes hold them back from perfecting a good concept.

EXs are perfect for Legendary Pokemon. It gives them the HP and attack power they deserve without breaking the prize/power ratio.

The past exs were failures in my opinion because pokemon like Lapras was made an ex, stage 2s like Blaziken, and stage 1s like Espeon. It had no real focus, or theme, it was just, "hey, lets make a bunch of pokemon exs" when they really didn't need to be, to be well represented.

Legends were a good try. People couldn't start with the Legend, which seemed appropriate, but it did seem weird at times to get them out.

I really like the current state of EXs. Only Legendary Pokemon seems appropriate. More HP, more damage, is nice. Double weakness is the where the developers give the EXs a flaw. Even with 180HP, weakness allows for some realistic knock outs if you have the weakness.

It's unfortunate there may be some unusual wordings, some that may lead to confusion. But I like the new version of the EX (ex).

I'm sorry but basic EX Pokemon that are over powered and over centralize the meta and makes all other cards unplayable are bad for the game.

Let's just hope they follow up the Legendary pokemon EX by making at least a bunch of pseudo-legendary pokemon (like the stage 2 dragons, metagross, et al.) into pokemon EX too. That way we can see some monstrous stage 2 juggernauts with well over 200 HP, etc. :3

Here is the sum total difference between Pokemon ex and Pokemon EX.
Pokemon ex has the letters in lower case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon echs".
Pokemon EX has the letters in upper case and it is pronounced "Poke-aa-mon eee echs".
"Poke-ay-mon echs/eee echs"

ex and EX are the same to me. No one ever said Pokemon X, everyone said ex but if thats how they want it, then fine by me.

Guys, I'm pretty sure the different ways of pronouncing it is only applicable in Japan, not here, since we've always called it E.X. Japan has not, however.

Different name, so you can have 4 Mewtwo ex and 4 Mewtwo EX in the same deck.
Things that affect ex Pokemon don't effect EX Pokemon.
So, I can have 4 Ho-oh's and 4 Ho-Oh's?

If this is indeed true, it's the first time upper/lower case has made a difference in a card's name.

Moomoo Milk and MooMoo Milk is another example of the same cards with different upper/lower case.

And what about Prof. Oak's Research and Professor Oak's Research? Are they going to make different punctuations as different cards too?

So, I can have 4 Ho-oh's and 4 Ho-Oh's?

If this is indeed true, it's the first time upper/lower case has made a difference in a card's name.

Moomoo Milk and MooMoo Milk is another example of the same cards with different upper/lower case.

And what about Prof. Oak's Research and Professor Oak's Research? Are they going to make different punctuations as different cards too?
Again, it's entirely about the Japanese versions of the names and cards, not our translations. Japan doesn't have upper or lower case letters at all in their language, while we do. So while this seems odd to us, it makes sense to them, and that's what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back