Ditto - Level Up

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Tomcat, Jan 6, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Tomcat

Tomcat New Member

In an nnlimited format game, my opponent has a Lucario with Lucario Level X active. I bring up a Fossil Ditto as my Active Pokemon. Transform says treat Ditto "as if it were the same card as the Defending Pokemon".

- Is Ditto both Lucario and Lucario Level X, or Lucario only?

- Transform also says "Ditto can't evovle" - If Ditto is Lucario but not Lucario Level X, if I have a Lucario Level X in my hand can I level up Ditto/Lucaro, since leveling up is not evolving?

- If I can and do level up Ditto/Lucario with a Lucaro Level X in my hand, what would happen to that Level X I placed on Ditto if my opponent retreats his Lucario/Lucario Level X for a different Pokemon.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You wouldn't be able to Level Up.
    The intent of the card is that Ditto remains what the opposing Pokemon is. Leveling Up would mean that Ditto was different than the opposing Pokemon. Ditto can't do that.

Regarding Ditto vs a Level X Pokemon...
    That's a bit tricky. I'll see if PUI or PCL wants to make a ruling on it. They usually stay away from older cards from the WotC era.

If they decline, we discuss on the Rules Team and come up with a ruling for Unlimited use.