Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Does any one still play these?

enigma321

Hey guys, I have sorta been out of the whole pokemon scene for a few years and I have a few questions that I am hoping you can help me with.

Ok my this is my first question.

Do people still play with basic, jungle, basic 2, fossil and or team rocket sets?

This is my second question.

Have any rules changed since those sets came out?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer these questions. :smile:

1. no. because they've made this set illegal.
2. I'm not an expert at this but I think a few have changed.

Thats a bummer, I was sorta hoping to get back into playing it again.

Uh, why would they make those cards illegal anyway?

They're NOT illegal.
You can use them in Unlimited tournaments and at most Leagues.
What they are is not legal for the Modified Format, which is the format that Premeire Tournaments are run in, such as City Championships and on up to the World Championship.

"Have any rules changed since those sets came out?"

Hooo yes. At this point, I'd be ready to point you in the direction of a rule book from a starter deck. How you handle the first turn is a tad different I think (You can't play ANY trainers/Stadiums/Supporters, but you can draw a card). Fossils (IE: Claw Fossil) give prizes now. Pokemon LV.X are a completely new mechanic. Pokemon EX give two prizes when knocked out, and count as different names then the normal pokemon (not as important now, but maybe you'll run into it). You can retreat out of Confusion without having to flip a coin...

Yeah. The starter decks in Secret Wonders are fairly good, so that's a good place to get a more through update on what's new. I'm sure the official Pokemon TCG webpage has a rule book on it, but it's easier to have physical copies so you can lay an old rule book next to it and get a feel for what's changed (at least, I think so).

Oh, and Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums are now divided into different groups. Yeah, the Secret Wonders decks are good.

Back