Donations or Ads? UNOFFICIAL

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by onederlnd, Feb 18, 2004.

1. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

This is an unoffical poll, yes, a poll. Nothing is being insinuated by this, and nothing is meant by it. But I'm curious as to how the users feel.

How many of you would be willing to pay, $10 ~ $20 per year (example prices) to help keep the site and board up and running?

Now, how many of you would be willing to do it if there was nothing in it for you besides a longer lasting PokeGym? (meaning no custom avatars, no custom titles, etc)

Now, how many of you would rather have a banner ad on the top or bottom of the page instead of making a donation?

2. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

I did donate - just to support the 'Gym (yeah, I know, "he can talk"), with no "perks" (it was right after the re-birth, when I stumbled accross something at .PLAN)... :D

And, yeah, I'd do it again. Just "for the cause".

3. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

I may not have much cash to work with, but I can certainly afford $10-$20 a year. If that were to be a sort of membership/subscription-type fee, it might not hurt to try some sort of free trial period, whether it just be letting people lurk for free, but pay for a username to post, or be able to post for a limited amount of time before the free trial is up, or something else.

However, I suppose I could throw onto the table something that seems to work for another board I go to. Basically, it offers a few different opportunities for those who donate some cash: Avatar hosted on board, custom title of choice, banner ad for your site in banner roation for a month, and a link to your site in a list of links that randomly generates from a bigger list. I think that's the gist of it.

The avatar/custom title options may not hold much value for this place, but members advertising their sites in banner ads is a pretty good idea, because it's more likely to be in the interest range of the board members than some ad engine you'd get from some internet company. (EDIT: Just occured to me that banners could also possibly be used to advertise big tournaments.)

Just throwing out ideas.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  4. nikePK

nikePK New Member

10 bucks seems pretty reasonable even if its just to keep the place up and running. Its a great site, I'd like it to stay.

If custom avatars/titles come with it, that's just a nice bonus =)

5. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

I've offered to donate to the Gym several times in the past, both while the current incarnation was in beta testing, and soon after the new board opened.

I was told each time that donations were not needed, but that that might change in the future.

Apparently, donations were only accepted from some people, who seem to have gotten custom titiles and avatars for it.

I'm still quite willing to donate, but I'm more than just a bit unhappy at the appearance of blatant favoritism.

Perhaps I'm missing something here. I SURE HOPE SO.

=/

6. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

Duh, U R B lizard after all... can you take a joke? noPoke was not for a while =/

Blatant favoritism my foot.
    RR donated and for the longest WHILE nothing was done. WE HAVE HAD NOT TIME to hammer our what we felt was appropriate recognition.

So it happened.
    Happened suddenly..
    Oh well. AND then he's been gracious enough to have it all removed. =/
    His choice. 0ur Choice.
    Yet we are still trying to make up our minds...

BTW, lurili is in NO WAY associated with the site (other than a registered member)

ROTFLMBO

7. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Are we talking $10-20 a year to view the site, or 10-20 to post?

8. Broken Lizard

Broken Lizard New Member

OK.

I'm going to keep this as civil as I can. No sarcasm. No flames. Just truth.

When it became clear that the Gym was getting ready to move to an alternate host from WotC, I contacted Onedrland via AIM, and offered to donate to offset the cost of maintaining the board. At the time, Onedrland indicated that I should talk to Pokepop about it. I did so, again over AIM. Pop said that he saw no need for donations, that TC would handle it.

I even brought it up again a second time, after the new board opened.

Yes, I did donate to the Isle and to the Ruins, but that is not what I'm talking about here.

I honestly don't care about the perks. I care a lot more about feeling snubbed.

Your reply to my post was flame bait.

It's againt the COC of the board, and hypocritical as hell.

DUH is right...

9. I think it's just donating out of the goodness of our heart, not making us pay. Making people pay to post here would be a dramatic mistake.

I'd be willing to pay 10 - 20 a year.

10. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

So you cannot take a joke?
    You did not even laugh at the lurili reference. o_O
    My bro and I were ALSO OUT SOME MONEY that time, but oh well, that is life.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU???

Dude, we are so busy and wish that ALL kinks could be worked out but they are not. Bear with us. AT LEAST this site is up (thanks to One); & BTW we are taking care of it... but we are looking at alternatives...

One did what was correct -> refer you to TC. If we did not get back to you, that is our fault.
    Join the club, we have not coordinated our efforts to reply nor offer responses in a timely manner.

No snub meant and if it was don't take it personally that was not done on purpose.

*smirks* The CoC at me? A mod? There are a few liberties.

Then again, I asked if you could take a joke?
    Man, what happened. x2

Duh back at ya...
    (tho do you really understand no harm meant?)

PS Man, that is some serious schtuff... *sigh* too serious for me... too many points and in bold. I use simple CAPS.

11. UncleBob

UncleBob New Member

Personally, I might be interested in a $10 donation a year or so - if - and only if - it wasn't mandatory for everyone.

If it were, it'd stagnate the amount of new people coming in and mean that the $10 I'd be investing wouldn't really be worth it.

That's just my opinion. :)

12. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

I once PMed 'Pop offering monetary support. Was turned down. Oh well.

13. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Leave it to IPGeek to post obscure references from former days. I think we all lost money in one way or another with lurili. ;)

Ads? Sure. As long as it isnt those annoying click the monkey ads or some other junk. Banner ads, Google ads, and some pop-ups would be fine for me.

Donations? Not mandatory, but recommended, yes. I'd gladly chip in some dough to keep things running. Perhaps assigning donators to a special user group that has access to extended signatures/custom titles/custom avatars.

One of the admins over at Pojo has suggested $100 bucks a month for mod position :p
    -Phil

14. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

No matter what, it would never be mandatory to give money to the site.
    That way leads to death. No argument there.

15. )v(ajin_ipg21

)v(ajin_ipg21 New Member

$100 a month per mod?
    >_<
    Aw man, and this was just a side hobby?

lol

YOU to???

What did I say... join the club...

If we were to consider ads... yep not tacky pop up ads. Instead those infinitely opening windows to.... sites. j/k
    But how would I know :eek:

I was only trying to reach whitehouse.gov

16. farbsman

farbsman New Member

I wouldn't mind donating money, love using the pokegym. I wouldn't recommend charging everyone though. A lot of younger players would not be able to use it. Since the Game is kinda aimed at kids, that would be a bad thing.

Maybe if your over a certain age you are required to donate? You could also charge to post tournament announcements too, kinda like a newspaper. I AM NOT paying $300 though like I do in a newspaper per ad. ;)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  17. onederlnd

onederlnd Administrator Emeritus

Let me clarify something. Donations would NEVER be manditory. This site is and always will be free to use, post, view, reply, etc. If we 'allowed' donations, that would merely be because you, the user, were willing to help support the site.

18. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

I would love to donate $10 a year (Especially if donors could use custom avators!!! :D ). But due to no credit card, I probablly couldn't donate because Paypal and other donating services require a credit card usually... Too bad, because that would leave out a lot of underage kids or people who don't have credit cards. Unless their parents or someone else lets them use their credit card or something like that in order to donate, people like me would be left out!

19. BLiZzArD

BLiZzArD New Member

I would have no problem donating(avatar or no)if you guys need help just ask i can buy a few less packs and send it your way
    BLiZ

20. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

Just an idea - I know that some of the Admins/Mods have been talking about donations - whether your opinion be for or against it.
    Personally, I'm very much glad that the whole Donation thing is NOT going to be mandatory - I've dropped out of so many systems ("free" E-mail accts, online groups, etc) because they decided that they wanted money, even if it was only $1 per year. [Translation:- What Monkey said. (see above)]

I'm very happy with how this forum doesn't rely on donations/ads, and as I'm sure many others will agree, we'd like to see it staying that way.

My suggestion is - if the Admins decide that they want to allow donations - might I suggest that they put a little "Donation" bit in that blue bar on the bottom of the screen, right next to [Contact Us - The PokeGym - Archive - Top]. Of course, I'm currently staying neutral on the topic of voluntary donations, but that's my suggestion anyways, if they do decide to allow it.