Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Donking, and why it is suddenly a big concern for the community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice'Cold

Hi everyone, I haven't made a big post on the gym in quite a while, but after reading extensively on Ness's thread on the most serious issues facing our game, and how it ended up turning into an in depth discussion of turn 1 losses or "donks" (copyright Alex 'The Hogger' Brosseau, i'm pretty sure he was the first person I ever heard use that term in pokemon many years ago).

I think the first good point Jason made was, why the big hoo hah all of a sudden? Donks date all the way back to early pokemon TCG Haymakers, where Hitmonchan v. Elecktabuzz openers could Oak/Comp search for Plus powers, attach and energy and win. When Neo Genesis was released, every deck used cleffa (baby, 30 HP basic), and as a result players began to put Tyrogue into their decks. Why was tyrogue considered worthy of a deck spot? He had an attack that for 1 energy did 30 damage, flip a coin, if tails the attack does nothing. Against a lone cleffa opener, you could easily search out tyrogue, attach an energy, and stand a 25% chance at winning the game right there. Your opponent couldn't do anything, you simply won, and best of all, it was a completely legal way to win.

Today's modified is a lot different than the Neo era modified, and whether you agree or disagree that we have a healthy metagame, donks are still very prevalent. Whether it be a lone unown Q facing an Uxie, or something similar, being on the wrong end of a donk just never feels good as a player. You didn't get to test your skill in an intense match, overcome a tough matchup with a little luck, or even lose the game at the last turn to a coinflip, you just sat there helpless and lost.

People frequently compare pokemon at its highest levels to chess in successful players ability to think strategically and plan out complex strategies. I once saw Ness during a fun game lose in 2 turns to a local junior from our area, while Jason *may* have been humoring him, world class players getting bad beats from a lucky player do happen in pokemon. That'd be like Bobby Fischer getting 3 move check mated by a 7 year old, I imagine he wouldn't take it very well. But donks aren't possible in chess, the game by design gives expert players a chance to defend against such early and simple tactics.

A terribly annoying deck that gets a lot of attention in my area is Rob D's frankenstein-like Uxie donk deck. It was around last year, but became way more threatening with the addition of seeker and Junk arm. The whole concept of the deck is to try and turn 1 someone, and I would say slightly more than 50% of the time, it actually works. Ask anyone from my area, playing against that deck is frustrating, annoying, and not fun, you sit there while the other person takes a 15 minute first turn and nearly half the time, lose the game at the end of those 15 minutes. Is it a legitimate strategy? Sure, after losing to it a week prior in swiss, I tried it out at a cities a few weeks ago and ended up 3-2. Seeing the same sad frustrated faces of the people I beat, I felt their pain and probably won't use the deck again. That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend it for a novice player, its definitely a legitimate strategy for a beginner who wants to stand a chance at beating a seasoned veteran but knows they don't stand a chance in a long drawn out game. (Disclaimer: this deck will probably make you hated by your entire local pokemon community for a long as you use it). Why risk a long game when you can stand a decent chance at beating them right from the start?

I used the same early-win concept when I played magic briefly a few years ago while in college. There was a deck called "Dragonstorm" where if you could generate a reasonable amount of mana in a single turn via spells, you could play the card "dragonstorm," summon 4 dragons that do 5 damage each, and win the game. Usually, this occurred on the 2nd-4th turn. Being new to the game, I knew that this strategy served me well. I would be facing veterans who have been playing the game for years, if I let the game last more than a few turns, not only would I risk misplaying, but they would probably flat out beat me anyways. This deck won me half a dozen friday night magic tournaments, and drew sharp criticism from many of the souless pizza devouring magic veterans at our card shop, who believed that a magic amateur like myself didn't *deserve* to win a tournament, but I did anyways.

In pokemon, there is little you can do to prevent getting donked at least once in a while. As chuck would say, there isn't a person in the world who doesn't run bad at least occasionally. (except he runs bad perpetually) Sure, you *could* stack your deck with 4 smeargle, 4 calls and whatever other openers your choose, but in my mind you really shouldn't have to gimp yourself like that just to rely on having a fair chance to play the game pass the second turn. Players complain all the time about how terrible it feels to get "donked," how somehow cheated they feel, despite it being a perfectly legitimate way to win the game.

To sum up my thoughts, I think what players are really crying out for when they say things like "I wish donks didn't exist," is that they just want every game of pokemon they play to feel "fair." Players want at least a decent chance every single game to test their skills against their opponent, and ideally have the better player win, that is part of what makes playing pokemon fun.

POP has been great recently about really listening to what their players ask for, and coming up with reasonable compromises. The 3 turn extension was a long time coming, and probably the greatest rules change to the game ever. I hope they are listening to some of the great suggestions coming from players about how we could at the very least, reduce donks by giving players a fair chance to play the game past the first or second turn.

P.S. to keep this from turning into a giant trolling thread, please state at the beginning of your reply whether you think donks are/are not healthy for the game, or if you don't care one way or the other. Try and stick to the discussion of early game losses as a whole and not nitpick specific matchups.

Last edited:
Donking is healthy. DOnking is easy to avoid, add in more basic pokemon or put in the four call energies. A friend got donked twice this weekened,and he said he was going to put back in his four call energies. If he didn;t like to get donked, he never should have removed them. He removed them to give himself a competative advantage over everyone else. I hate call energy, so instead I put 4 Crobats in every deck. And 4 Uxies. They work great in Gengar. I donlt get donked, but I probably would use to a mirror match if i drew a crobat when they drew a psychic energy so i can;t attack and they can. So yes, adding in extra basics makes me take out 4 other cards that others get to use, but i figure they will get knocked out by donks and I will be the last Gengar deck standing.

Donking forces everyone to balance their decks. It adds to the science of deckbuilding. I normally play Machamp becasue it donks, and that is the best way for me to beat the bette players. If this was chess, i would lose everytime to the many players that are better than me, but becasue of donking and deckbuilding I have a chance. I also get to play the whole game becasue I never get donked, and it allows me to see how the expert players use there decks to outsmart people like me, and so rather than getting donked, I get to watch a great match and lose.

I do like how in Japan they are going to be able to play trainers again on the first turn. At least then winning the coin flip will actually feel like winning again. No more loses because you started with one Pokemon and can't play that supporter in your hand anymore at least.

I can see how it can also go sour, but I think the good outweighs the bad in all that.

I think donks are hilarious, when dishing them and receiving them. It helps bring me back down to earth that pokemon, although "serious business" in the eyes of some/many, is just a game. A hobby I largely play for fun cause I like pokemon and I like being competitive.

I have a question though, there must certainly be counters to this infamous Uxie-donk deck (never played against it but I understand how it works). I assume the following are autoloss scenarios;

-Uxie player goes first and opposing player plays a high-hp pokemon deck like Steelix or SP
-Opposing player goes 2nd and gets out 4+ pokemon on his turn
-Opposing player has tomb start+call energy or pokemon collector
-T1 Deafen

Did i miss any?

PS. I traveled to 2 Cali cities this past weekend for an net total of about 10 hours of driving and $200 out of my pocket. On Sunday I went 4-2 with my only two losses being T1 donks due to starting Uxie and Garchomp repectively. These donks weren't your typical donks either, they were pretty "cool," (lol as cool as it can get when one loses).

1st donk I went first and started lone Uxie and didn't draw into a call or another pokemon (had collector in my had though, lol). I got Shadow Room'd + Flash Bite T1 cause i played against a TurboGar deck.

2nd donk I started with lone Garchomp C, Call energy, poketurn, DCE, and Collector. I lost the coin flip but was pretty excited cause my opponent only started with one pokemon and I knew I had a good chance of donking anything with 70 hp or less. Well my opponent started T1 Smeargle, top deck'd a Crobat, searched for Bat, Q, and his own Garchomp C, attached DCE and that was history.

Still had a great time :thumb:

The basic rules of Pokemon allow for donks to happen. Specifically, the rule that states that you lose if you no longer have any Pokemon in play. One potential rule variation that helps mitigate this incredibly is to change the focus of the check from *immediate* to *end of turn*. Yes, this would allow for some very strange interactions with the various Scooping cards in the format (SSU, Turn, etc). But it would also allow a player to drop that Collector, Bebe, or Cyrus for an SP Radar to help fill their bench. Basically, you get to play out your turn as normal, just with the knowledge that you will lose at the end of the turn if you can't play something by that time. It would severely limit NPE decks like Rob's that focus not on gaining KOs, but rather on forcing the zero Pokemon rule to occur. Not to mention the ROFLGARCHOMPLOLOL donks that are becoming more and more prevalent.

Donking is healthy. DOnking is easy to avoid, add in more basic pokemon or put in the four call energies. A friend got donked twice this weekened,and he said he was going to put back in his four call energies. If he didn;t like to get donked, he never should have removed them. He removed them to give himself a competative advantage over everyone else. I hate call energy, so instead I put 4 Crobats in every deck. And 4 Uxies. They work great in Gengar. I donlt get donked, but I probably would use to a mirror match if i drew a crobat when they drew a psychic energy so i can;t attack and they can. So yes, adding in extra basics makes me take out 4 other cards that others get to use, but i figure they will get knocked out by donks and I will be the last Gengar deck standing.

Donking forces everyone to balance their decks. It adds to the science of deckbuilding. I normally play Machamp becasue it donks, and that is the best way for me to beat the bette players. If this was chess, i would lose everytime to the many players that are better than me, but becasue of donking and deckbuilding I have a chance. I also get to play the whole game becasue I never get donked, and it allows me to see how the expert players use there decks to outsmart people like me, and so rather than getting donked, I get to watch a great match and lose.

Pretty much every reason you give in favour of donks are the same reasons a lot of people despise them.

Anyway, I don't know if TPCI has any control over how much donking we get in the game. As long as Japan prints cards that can donk, and sets rules that allow donks, we are probably stuck with them.

They are a part of the game and likely always will be. I don't see them as 'healthy' exactly, but unless things get really out of hand the game can live with them.

One potential rule variation that helps mitigate this incredibly is to change the focus of the [game loss] check from *immediate* to *end of turn*.

For the record, this seems to be one of the more popular suggestions I've heard circulating.

POP has been great recently about really listening to what their players ask for, and coming up with reasonable compromises. The 3 turn extension was a long time coming, and probably the greatest rules change to the game ever. I hope they are listening to some of the great suggestions coming from players about how we could at the very least, reduce donks by giving players a fair chance to play the game past the first or second turn.
except...all these suggestions as to "what POP can do" are actually the types of changes that can only come down from japan...

jmho
'mom

I suppose donks are just part of the game. If Pokemon makes a rule that prevents them, somehow someone will find a card combo to capitalize upon that. (But I reserve the right to change my mind once the T1 going first Trainer rule comes into play.)

I was paranoid of donks for a little while last week. Actually tested Pichu HS "Playground" in a deck. Not just thought about it, physically put the cards in! I'm so ashamed. :tongue:

Well, I think donks are very easily avoidable, and, while maybe not the best way to win nor the most fun for the opponent, they are legit and I believe that they are good for the game in a way.

except...all these suggestions as to "what POP can do" are actually the types of changes that can only come down from japan...

jmho
'mom

I'm sure we're all aware of with whom ultimate authority of this game resides, but the great people at POP are tasked with keeping the game healthy, competitive, and profitable, in every other area of the world. That is part of what they get paid to do, and over the years I've seen them get better and better at their jobs. (Well, maybe not Dave's skill at yelling into a microphone, that one is about the same) When they feel that certain changes are necessary in the pursuit of those goals, I'm sure their words carry some clout.

One potential rule variation that helps mitigate this incredibly is to change the focus of the check from *immediate* to *end of turn*.

Can anyone think of a way that this rule would see abuse? This sounds like a great idea in my mind!:fighting:

Tbh though, I think donking will see a DRASTIC drop in frequency once the following cards get rotated out:

Uxie
Crobat G
Expert Belt
Sableye

So it might not be that bad after worlds this year.

THe problem I have is not that people are moaning over donks so much but more that people are trying to make methods to stop them via changing game mechanics.

PORII SAMES' CARDS ON HOW TO STOP DONKS
Gastly SF
Dialga G
Call Energy
Spiritomb AR
More Basic Pokemon
Mr. Mime SV
Pichu HGSS

It's not that hard. Seriously.

For the record I would never play 4 Uxie and four bat lol

Pretty much every reason you give in favour of donks are the same reasons a lot of people despise them.

Yea - but without donks the game is more like chess. And if it gets more like chess than I would know going into a match that I was going to lose. And that is not as fun.

In effect, pokemon is chess but with some luck mixed in. And donking is just one aspect of the luck factor. Chess has no luck. Pokemon has luck of what deck the person is playing, luck of who goes first, luck of what carsds you draw, luck of the donk. Besides the luck of the donk, is there any other 'luck; you would like to remove from pokemon, becasue you could remove all the luck from it - give people the same decks, let them pick 7 cards to start with and every card they draw they can do it lookking at theri entire deck and choosing what they want. The all the luck would be removed.

THe problem I have is not that people are moaning over donks so much but more that people are trying to make methods to stop them via changing game mechanics.

PORII SAMES' CARDS ON HOW TO STOP DONKS
Gastly SF
Dialga G
Call Energy
Spiritomb AR
More Basic Pokemon
Mr. Mime SV
Pichu HGSS

It's not that hard. Seriously.

Because I'm obviously going to tech Pichu, mr. Mime, and Spiritomb into my LuxChomp just to stop donks.

THose are options.

If you don't want to get donked, tech those in. If you don't think you will get donked, then don't.

Besides, doesn't Luxchomp already normally run Calls? And sometimes Dialga G? THat is a LOT of protection from donks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back