Drop Box Toruney (Fun for those card shops/Leagues that buys collections)

Discussion in 'Random Topic Center' started by Jran Sakarra, Jul 20, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

Ok, last Sat at my Local League (Memphis, which has 4 players going to worlds!) we had a new kind of side tourney that was a blast and helps get cards for Unlimited format and recent.

First you have to have ALOT of card bought up from collectors that have quite and want to sell there box of common and uncommon with rares.
    Here is how it works you have 3-6 flat boxes full of cards.(Random old POP packs laying around too)
    Charge about $10 per person for this kinda tourney since they get to keep the cards they keep.
    Have them about 3-4 at each table and one box at each table, and tell them to keep there hands up in the air till you say go and they grab two hands full of card and give them 10 sec and say hands in the air..(Yes, cards go flying, but just let them pick them up and use them that helps a lot.
    They then built 40 cards decks and face off in a swiss style tourney of 3-6 rounds depending on how many there are. Prizes are up to you.

We played it and it was a blast, there was rare old cards and tons of new cards too.
    Plus we added in two Mudkips to tha boxes and they hard "I heard U likez Mudkipz!" on them and prizes were given out for the two that found them.

2. pokeball S

pokeball S New Member

nice game i will try it at my local card store and i love mudkips!!!!!!!

3. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 Active Member

I was there that day and opted out of it. (so did the other 3 worlds players,ha) I think it would have been better if there were no prizes and no entry fee personally.You essentially have no idea on what you're getting and to award prizes based off of how lucky you get is absurd. Its worse than a prerelease with established evolution chains and better sense of equality overall .

When $10 entry fees and prizes enter this kind of tournament, it starts to lose its fun factor.

4. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

Well it cost to get the card so the store would loss alot of money buying cards then just giving them away and giving prizes to the winner.

Hey I got $30 wort of cards in my two hand full.

There is no such thing as luck, its all chance.
    A Pokemon battle starts witht he flip of the coin, which is chance, the chance of the draw, and the chance of you prizing your good cards. The first few parts of a Pokemon TCG Match is chance.

5. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 Active Member

Alot of those cards were rotated out already, I saw quite a few old ones in there, and none of them were mint.In organized play you can choose which cards t use in order to build a deck, in this format you can't and have to rely on wahtever you're given. This variable makes a ton of matches one sided even if both players are equal in skill.

6. Jran Sakarra

Jran Sakarra New Member

Main raeson for this was because the last Unlimited Format tourney was not because no one even had old cards anymore, so this was played and got tons of cards out there....
    (I pulled a mint Espeon* out of a grab box tonight! My set is not complete.)