Electivire Giga Impact attack: DRE question.

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by afstandopleren, Mar 18, 2008.

1. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

Do you have to throw away any DRE attached to Vire if you want to increase the base damage of his attack?

Double Rainbow Energy
    "Double Rainbow Energy can be attached only to an Evolved Pokemon (Excluding Pokemon-Ex).
    While in play, Double Rainbow Energy provides EVERY type of energy but provides 2 at a time. (Has no other effect then providing energy) Damage done to your opponents Pokemon by the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to is reduced by 10. (Before applying Weakness and Resistance.) When the Pokemon Double Rainbow Energy is attached to is no longer an Evolved Pokemon, discard Double Rainbow Energy.

Giga Impact
    You may discard all :lightning Energy attached to Electivire. If you do, this attack's base damage is 120 instead of 60.

The way I see it is that since DRE also provides :lightning , it should be thrown away in order to icrease the damage.
    Am I right?

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Right. It provides L, so it would have to be discarded.

3. afstandopleren

afstandopleren New Member

Wow, thank you for the info!

4. poke_master2008

poke_master2008 New Member

Would the DRE still minus the 10 to make it 110 or no because it was discarded?

5. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

yep still minus 10

Q. If I have to discard a Double Rainbow Energy as part of an attack that says to discard all cards of a chosen energy type, do I still have to take the -10 penalty for DRE or not?
    A. Yes you would still apply the -10 penalty. In the attack step, when you make choices, you state which cards you'll be discarding. In the damage calculation step, you figure out the damage first, and then discard the Energy required after damage has been dealt. (Apr 15, 2004 PUI Rules Team)