elekid can evolve into electrabuzz ex

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by TrEkIeV, Sep 4, 2003.

1. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

can elekid evolve into electrabuzz ex? are there any rules in the compendium that could parrallel itself to a rule like this?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  2. There have already been a few threads on this, and the most agreed upon answer is no.

The fact that it has EX in its name has led most people to rationalize that it's a completely different Pokemon than Electabuzz, much in the same that Lt. Surge's Electabuzz is different from the Base Set Electabuzz.

3. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

oh i was just thinking, since cards like Typhlosion Ex evolve from regular Quilava, would it mean that Electrabuzz Ex can evolve from regular Elekid?

4. dkates

dkates New Member

As was said in the other thread(s), it's different because it's Elekid that has text allowing it to evolve into Electabuzz, not the other way around. Typhlosion ex has text on it saying it evolves from Quilava, so it does. Electabuzz ex has no text saying it can evolve from Elekid, so it can't.

5. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

the reason why the Electabuzz ex lacks the specific text is because there are no babies in the EX R/S set. there was no need to include this text.

6. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

has there been any offical rulings? posted by mtjimmer or professor dave perhaps? i value all the opinons on this matter, but honestly, i think you guys are wrong. you guys can continue to give me reason on why it wont work, but the bottom line is, you guys dont even know for sure. so, can someone please give me somethig offical rather than just guesses.

7. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

No. We can't give you anything official. Until Nintendo starts a chat session or appoints someone to distribute rulings the only real body that can issue rulings is the players themselves, specifically the former/current Pokemon Professors. It's not exactly official, but it's the best we've got right now.
    I agree with the response you've gotten. Thus far all rulings on evolution have implied that in order for a pokemon to evolve either the new card must referrence the old card precisely by name (IE Charizard evolves from Charmeleon) or the old card must referrence the new card by name (Pichu evolves into Pikachu). In keeping with that ruling, Blaine's Charmeleon cannot evolve into Dark Charizard and Pichu cannot evolve into Lt. Surge's Pikachu. Since Elekid says it evolves into "Electabuzz" it cannot evolve into "Electabuzz EX" because those are 2 different names.
    The only exception I've noticed with this ruling is Pokemon Breeder, which lets you skip ahead from basic to stage 2.

8. dkates

dkates New Member

And even then, the case has to be that the Stage 1 the Stage 2 would evolve from evolves from the Basic, i.e. you can't Breeder Charmander to Blaine's Charizard.

9. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

another thing you guys have left out is that Lt. Surge's Pikachu, Surfing Pikachu, Flying Pikachu, Cool Porygon, Dark Raichu, ect... all have the difference of name in FRONT. Pokemon ex have the letters ex in BACK of the name. This difference is in the Prefix and Suffix. I dont believe Pokemon-ex should be compared to Special Trainer Pokémon (such as Erika's Oddish) the way same Special Trainer Pokemon are compared with Dark Pokemon.

what i'm trying to say is Pokemon-ex and Prefix pokemon should be in different categories and their rulings would not be parallel to base a ruling.

10. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

The ruling has always been "different name". Why should "prefix" and "suffix" be considered different?

11. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

For examples, the Unown pokemon have "different names", but are considered to be the "same pokemon" and that is why you are only allowed to have up to 4 in a deck. you can see how the "prefix" and "suffix" are considered different.

12. dkates

dkates New Member

The Unowns have a special text for that. If even one letter is different (other than a misprint), it's a differenet Pokemon unless the card says otherwise.

13. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I think they did the unown restriction because I believe they said, "it would make decks too powerful" or something. Well it would. You try making a FIND deck or something else now, its alot harder, but if you could have 4 of each letter, you would have like easy picking to get it out. I'm not 100% on it though.

Right now, play as you want. Don't care what the people here are saying. It's all rather useless unless you want to be prepared for the game in which nobody can, because there isn't enough information. But if it were me, I would see Electabuzz EX and Electabuzz as two different cards. Just like surge and not surge. So you would read on the elekid card what it can evolve into and do that. But again, nobody has to follow any rules until Nintendo posts them lol.

14. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

Actually, the Unown contain a special card rule printed on them, otherwise they would count as cards with different names, and you could use 4 of each in a deck. As for suffixes and prefixes, keep in mind that Nidoran male and female (which are not all that dissimilar in relation to the Unown) are considered to have different names, and thus you can have 4 of each in a deck, so the prefix/suffix issue is moot.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2003
  15. DOMCGI

DOMCGI New Member

With the "EX" at the end of the name making this be a completely different Pokemon. It is why you can have 4 Electabuzz and 4 Electabuzz EX in the same deck.

If following TrEkIeV's reason that the suffix do not make the EX be a different Pokemon, you would only have a total of 4 "Electabuzz + Electabuzz EX".

Since the current mostly acceptance rule (I don't any ADV official rule yet) is allowed having 4 Electabuzz and 4 Electabuzz EX in the deck, the EX is a different Pokemon and cannot evolved from any existing Baby.

In the future, we may have an official rule on this; or a Baby including "EX" in the text.

16. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

I dont follow that logic. I have to agree with trekieV on this one. Simply put is that you can now have 4 Typhlosion and 4 Typhlosion Ex in one deck but there can only be 4 Quilava that can use the 8 different evos. Since Electabuzz Ex is considered a basic there should be no reason that Elekid cannot evolve into it.

This can be debated over and over the bottom line is that a definitive ruling needs to be made at some point.

17. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

Simple, easy. The text on Elekid reads, "Can evolve into Electabuzz". Because Electabuzz ex has a different name, it is a different card, and cannot evolve from Elekid. Elekid can ONLY evolve into a card named, "Electabuzz". No prefixes, no suffixes, just "Electabuzz". It does not say "Electabuzz ex", so therefore, according to the TPC ruling on names, Elekid CANNOT evolve into Electabuzz ex.

Now, why you would WANT to do such a thing is completely beyond me...

18. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

I just now looked in the EX: Ruby & Sapphire rulebook.

Since it specifically states that Pokemon ex can't evolve into a normal Pokemon unless specifically stated, it therefore makes the prefix versus suffix point moot.

19. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

my reasoning is that not that Electabuzz and Electabuzz EX are the same cards. my reasoning is that Pokemon-ex and Prefix pokemon are not in same categories for rulings, they are not the same. They are similar, but not the same.

this special text reasoning is also moot :rolleyes: , when aquapolis elekid was released, Electrabuzz EX did not even exist, there was no need for this fancy special text.

so, let me restate some of my points.

regular Quilava can evolve into Typhlosion ex (even without special text, it is just there as a reminder)

regular Elekid can evolve into Electrabuzz ex (no special text is needed)

if you want to bring up special text again, let me repeat myself:
    when aquapolis elekid was released, Electrabuzz EX did not even exist, there was no need for this fancy special text.

if you want to bring up the fact that they have different names, then let me repeat myself again:

Pokemon-ex and Prefix pokemon are not in same categories for rulings, they are not the same. They are similar, but not the same.

20. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

While anyone familiar with Pokemon Gold and Silver can tell you that Quilava evolves into Typhlosian, Evolution text is still an essential part of the card. For instance, Tyranitar evolves from Pupitar, and Dark Tyranitar evolves from Dark Pupitar, but Shining Tyranitar is a Basic Pokemon, and does not evolve from any sort of Pupitar. That little bit of text does make all the difference.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2003