Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Elekid ruling

davechri

My daughter was playing in a tournament and she paralyzed her opponent's Sandstorm Elekid.

Elekid's Poke-POWER says "Once during your turn (before you attack), you may put Electabuzz from your hand onto Elekid (this counts as evolving Elekid) and remove all damage counters from Elekid."

Her opponent evolved Elekid into Electabuzz and removed all damage counters (there were 3 damage counters and the Elekid).

My daughter called a judge over and the judge ruled that what her opponent had done - (a) evolving to Electabuzz and (b) removing all damage counters - was legal, even though the Elekid was paralyzed.

I though Poke-POWERs were disabled due to status effects (and a Poke-BODY is NOT disabled due to status effects).

Was the ruling by the judge correct?

On a more general note, can an Elekid (Sandstorm) evolve into an Electabuzz when the Elekid is affected by a status condition?

Thanks.

dc

Poke-powers are shut off when paralyzed so the evolution would not been legal. The same thing if muk EX was active and the power was shut off.

The judge ruled correctly.As stated below in the quoted ruling,this poke power is "unique" and doesn`t get shut off by special conditions.

`Sensei

Q. Does the "Baby Evolution" Poke-POWER get turned off when affected by a Special Condition? It doesn't say so on the card.
A. Baby Evolution is unique as a Poke-Power. It is not turned off by Special Conditions. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

Thanks Sensei.

And to follow up on Prime's post...

Q. If EX-Sandstorm Pichu's "Baby Evolution" power is turned off by Muk's "Toxic Gas" power, does that mean that it cannot evolve into Pikachu?
A. Pichu's Baby Evolution is the only way it evolves to Pikachu. If that is turned off, Pichu can't evolve. (Sep 11, 2003 PUI Rules Team Meeting)

So Muk EX *WILL* turn off the Baby Evolution Poke-POWER, but Special Conditions will *NOT* turn off the Baby Evolution Poke-POWER.

I find that a bit odd, but that's the rule.

(Note to self: Use the Compendium, use the Compendium, use the Compendium)

Wow, thats screwed up. But I guess you can fight the ruling.

They probably should have made them PokeBodies. I guess the only reason that made them Powers was because they are activated. Always look out for exceptions.

I had that same thought (should have been a Poke-Body) today PokePop.

As for the exceptions, these are the kinds of things that drive players nuts (and really produce confused rulings if people aren't entirely up to date). (I thought it was pretty cut-and-dry - A power is turned off when affected by a special condition - so I would have been 100% wrong)

You are in good company Davechri ;)

If you read the glossary in the R&S rule book you would see that Jimmer had that same thought too.. But the glossary definition in the Dragons rule book has changed to allow some poke-powers to be unaffected by special conditions.

[edit: added some] :eek:

Last edited:
NoPoke, can you point me to an onine version of the Dragons rule book that has this. That's quite a change regarding Powers and Special Conditions.

oops just relaised that my post can be read that all poke-powers are now unaffected by special conditions *embarrased*

can't help with the online copy of the dragons rule book...

dragons theme deck rule book said:
Poké-Power
Poké-Powers are usually once per turn powers on Active and Benched Pokémon, that you must choose to use. Most Poké-Powers are turned off if the Pokémon is affected by a Special Condition

note that it now says most in the glossary. So like Pop says you have to go by what is printed on the card.

Currently, the only Poke-POWER that isn't turned off by Special Conditions is Baby Evolution, right?

SteveP I doubt anyone will answer that !..

If any of you have kids that watch Bob-the-Builder then my answer is, to quote lofty, 'err er I think so'

Ok, so if the Pokemon power says nothing about special conditions, is it affected or not affected?

(I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to figure out where the starting point is.)

other way around I believe....

It now MUST say on the card that it is affected by special conditions. No text no effect.

Elekid doesn't have the text and has been rulled that it therefore isn't affected by sleep poison etc.

So unless it says that it is affected by special conditions, it is NOT affected by special conditions.

(Just getting it straight in my head)

davechri said:
NoPoke, can you point me to an onine version of the Dragons rule book that has this. That's quite a change regarding Powers and Special Conditions.
www.pojo.com/pokemon just posted the Dragon rulebook online. You can link to it from their main Pokemon page.

Back