Empoleon - A Card with Potential

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Kitsune_the_Demon, Jun 11, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitsune_the_Demon

Kitsune_the_Demon New Member

Let me start by saying, I've found the Empoleon to be playable because he seemed to have good potential in basically being a reverse delta Exeggutor. However, he's a little more stable being a stage 2 with more HP and his split bomb is cheaper (now known as Dual Splash). Only thing I didn't like about him is his "delta circle" (Surf Together) could possibly damage your bench, but has the potential to do 100 damage for 3 energy. Maybe not as good as a Gallade and possibly not as likely to OHKO, but a decent back-up attack nonetheless.

I've compiled several ideas with him, but of course, this is where you guys come in. I need your opinions and thoughts on what could be better (please don't just say something like "second one's better" because I KNOW that one of them is not nearly as good. Just think of this as two deck lists in one thread rather than a "Which deck is better" post). Without further ado... the decklists/ideas:

Empoleon Variation 1: With a side of extra fossils

4-2-4 Empoleon (DP)(DP)(MD)(Main Attacker)
    3-3 Aerodactyl (MD) (This guy is still in testing, and is probably not as good of a choice as Bronzong, but I liked him a little better)
    2-2 Claydol (GE) (Support: Like a bra... for that ever so fragile part of the deck)
    1-0(1?)-1 Omastar (MD) (This variation only uses him as a tech, but works good in mid to late game with a decent amount of damage being spread)
    3 Phione (MD-The only good/playable one) (Starter of the deck)
    Pokemon: 25 (YIKES!)

4 Celio's Network
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Crystal Beach
    2 TG Wager
    4 Prof. Oak's Visit
    2 Warp Point
    Trainer Cards: 19

4 Call Energy
    2 Holon WP
    10 Water
    Energy: 16

Summary: Alright, so definitely not the best build you're going to find, but my mind is refusing to function better at the moment. Basic strategy is to t2 Dual Splash their guys and relentlessly use that attack until you build a decent bench. Aerodactyl will spread damage on the guys that use their powers (i.e. Claydol and Gardevoir) and has a somewhat decent attack if you have to use it. Call energy and Phione seem good together because start with Phione and nothing else? Call it out and then second turn evolve it (Baltoy to Claydol/Old Amber to Aerodactyl even?). It's a slower start than t2 rare candy, Empoleon, dual splash but I guess it works well if it goes into latter game. If you see potential with Aerodactyl I'd like your opinions on this deck.

Empoleon Variation 2: Replace the order of normal fossils with crinkly ones.

4-2-4 Empoleon (DP)(DP)(MD)
    3-2-3 Omastar (MD)
    2-2 Claydol (GE)
    4 Phione (MD) (Deja-vu on all the above?)
    Pokemon: 26 (SUPER YIKES!)

4 Bebe's Search
    4 Rare Candy
    4 TG Wager (Increased due to the play with Omastar)
    3 Crystal Beach
    2 Warp Point
    2 TG Mars
    Trainer Cards: 19

4 Call Energy
    2 Holon WP
    9 Water
    Energy: 15

Summary: Not terribly different, but more to the point. Holon WP seems to be good in a few situations. The only real difference is the lack of Aerodactyls, which is probably a good thing. I played Mars in this one simply because it's an alternative (a crappy one) to the after effect of Omastar's power, but can be useful early game as well. Again, you'll see call energy combo'd with Phione. I know I could definitely use help on the trainer line and much more.

So suggestions and advice are much appreciated. I also apologize a head of time for this post being two separate decks.

2. charchar

charchar New Member

play a lvl.x. trust me a 2-2-2 omastar line will be enough. i tried aerodactyl but then i tried omastar and omastar works better. dont need phione. its not that good. i know it searches for an evolution but just no. 3 team galactics wager is enough also. play stevens and no mars. also 2 night maintnence. rather than crystal beach scrambles and dres work better. u know why? because scramble incredible coemback. crystal beach can be windstormed or discarded with anotehr trainer so it allows your opponent to use dres and scramble.s 8 water and 3 scrmables. good choice on dp piplup and prinplup.

3. Kitsune_the_Demon

Kitsune_the_Demon New Member

Thank you, your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm still feeling questionable about the Level X, but it really doesn't handicap it sense I'm not playing Cessassion Crystal (Yes, spelling wasn't my greatest subject).

With a meta ruled by a lot of G and G decks (for me at least), I still want to play Crystal Beach. Do you think this deck could out run G and G in a match-up when playing DRE or Scramble?

I agree on the Phione though. What's a better starter you might recommend?

4. rerisenphoenix

rerisenphoenix New Member

You DO NOT want to run DRE with Empoleon. It turns the greatness of Duel splash into an attack with, at best mediocre use. The difference between 30 to 2 and 20 to 2 is huge, so you absolutely CAN NOT run DRE's. Crystal Beach, however, is good, as it makes it so that your low energy requirements are unaffected, while slowing an opponent (especially G&G).

5. Rashad

Rashad New Member

what about srambles thse would fit well with this deck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.