Empoleon and what supporting cast?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by jrwaxman, May 19, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. jrwaxman

jrwaxman New Member

Empoleon MD benefits from a large bench so what should be used to fill it? I have tried most of the normal starters, Dusknoir, Omastar, Dactyl, LatiLock and several other Pokes. Even thinking of Sharpedo lately. I think 2-2 Claydol is a must but what else is best?

2. Riq

Riq New Member

im using my empoleon deck with 2-2claydol and 2-1-2 omastar i was thinking about a lati-lock but its not needed

3. Regis_Neo

Regis_Neo Moderator

Claydol should probably be ran, almost no reason not to. Omastar is probably the preferred partner now, giving you a great chance to score multiple KOs.

4. WinkWinkNudgeNudge

WinkWinkNudgeNudge New Member

I'm working with unown Q. The idea is to fold up my bench if a see a dusknoir coming. I'm also trying Chatot energyless Mimic(copycat) + free retreat make them useful when trying to activate scrambles. Chatot also works great with warp letting you either switch or warp depending on the situation

5. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

I find it... Pretty hilarious how everyone assumes Empoleon needs a full bench.

Think about it for a sec. How much damage does Empoleon do with three benched pokemon. 80, right? How much is spread via Dual Splash again...? 30? doesn't that add up to 110? How about that last 20...? Isn't that put into play by other Dual Splashes? What about Prinplup? Does that not exist anymore? What about Piplup too...?

Hm. Maybe I'm missing something here...

I GUESS a counter to grass based decks is a good idea. Omastar kinda works, but I don't like how it uses powers...
    Hm. Yamato might have been onto something last year...

6. master of puppets

master of puppets New Member

Anyone who plays Lati-lock is going to be killed by the still ever prevalent Dusknoir.
    Yea! now I have a bench of Latios, Latias, and Claydol, and if I try to play anything else it gets shuffled away and I get put back right where I started.
    Lati-lock will do well against decks that use Bodies, but its only obvious that any of those decks would play Dusknoir, to counter it, so in the long run you would hurt yourself more than your opponent.

7. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

Hope you don't mind Jim but I copied your deck for testing purposes and have fallen in love with empoleon. I run the Dusknoir with no lati-lock(It's not needed with dual splash and the lv. x attack). More recently I've found I don't even need the dusknoir and half the time I'm focusing on empoleon anyway. Anything with powers or bodies that threaten can be dusknoired away or snipped off fairly easily. I've had a lot of mulligans though. Only 7 baiscs, 4 piplup 2 baltoy and 1 duskull. I'm actually thinking of playing it in battle roads....I'm ashamed I took your deck.:nonono:

8. revdjweb

revdjweb New Member

palkia lvl x for bench manipulation and to chase away stadiums, mantine for free retreat, unown q to make palkia's retreat cost 2 so you only need one mantine in play. 1-1 swampert as a possible tech.

9. jrwaxman

jrwaxman New Member

Brent, too funny. Glad you are testing the Penguin. As you know I have three to four decks going at any given time with him. So many that I just don't know which is better anymore. I agree with all you say above though. I have pulled the LatiLock out myself. Two bench spaces are too much with Dusknoir running around to dedicate to non-Attackers and not sure any bodies really give me that much trouble except for maybe Sceptile and then as you say just deal with it with Noir. I have been looking hard at chatot and disable Sableye but again not sure if I want to fill the bench with them. A free retreater makes this deck so much better though as I abuse Warp Points. For that I have a couple of ideas I am working on. Look forward to talking to you about them and the MIRROR matches at league.

10. Rocky500

Rocky500 New Member

lol, are you referring to Infernape?

Empoleon+Claydol+Starter+Assistance(Omastar, etc.). Of course you could just go aggro empoleon.

11. mca3

mca3 New Member

You can play Empoleon with ALMOST anyone. I have stated this countless times, He is SO versatile. I like Bronzong MD or Aerodactyle, for their bodies. I mean, those are some Great choices!

Rai, Prinplup is still used and SHOULD be for T1-T2 Aqua shower, DP one should Still be used it is Better than the MD by a long shot, same to Piplup!

Yamato MAINLY used the Infernape tech for the Japanese players who ran Scizor EX UF last year, NOT a bad idea in his part, 3rd sounds Great to me!

12. Dante63s

Dante63s New Member

Lapras works good...

13. mca3

mca3 New Member

Yes, Lapras is a AWESOME starter/supporting cast in an Empoleon deck, I run 2 in some of MY Empo decks! It really is Awesome to get a T1 Castaway, if none in hand of course!

14. dormos

dormos New Member

If you're using Omastar, wouldn't Relicanth from Great Encounters (I think it's great encounters)
    work well too? It's water as well, and can help bring out your fossils faster. I also use Lapras
    myself, along with Claydol. As it was said, there's almost no reason not to.

As far as MD Empoleon, I don't like him. Surf Together can be amazing, but I usually suck on
    coin flips. I dislike the down side. As for Prinplup, I'd probably run 2 from D&P and then 2 from MD.
    I like them both a lot, so I'd have to play a bit before I saw which I liked more. And I've not
    come into Milotic very much, so I've not had a reason to NOT play with the Empoleon level X.