Empoleon/Omastar

Discussion in 'Feature Articles' started by Magic_Umbreon, Jul 1, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

Since the release of Majestic Dawn, Empoleon has quickly established itself as an archetype. Its success has destroyed Magmortar and allowed rogue counters such as Torterra to be competitive.

[editor's note: this particular article discusses the Omastar variant of the deck]

[​IMG]

Empoleon is much like Exeggutor δ in its ability to spread damage and deal high direct damage with a large bench. Dual Splash is similar to Exeggutor's split bomb and can inflict heavy damage for low energy without taking prize cards. This means that Scramble energy can be used to power its more expensive attack with one energy drop. Omastar devolves opponent's benched pokémon.

[​IMG]

If an opponent's benched pokémon have been rare candied from a 60HP basic, then they can be reduced to this and KOed easily with dual splash. Double rainbow energy and scramble energy will be discarded if they were attached to an evolved pokémon devolved to a basic. Team Galactic's Wager can be played to shuffle those evolution cards back into your opponent's deck, so it may be harder for them to evolve again. With warp point, your opponent's active pokémon will then be vulnerable to Primal Swirl also.

Decklist

Pokémon: 23
    4 Piplup
    3 Prinplup
    3 Empoleon
    1 Empoleon LvX
    2 Baltoy
    2 Claydol
    1 Omanyte
    2 Omastar
    1 Mew* δ
    1 Unown Q
    1 Phione
    1 Chatot
    1 Holon's Castform

Trainers: 21

4 Roseanne's Research
    4 Bebe's Search
    3 Team Galactic's Wager
    1 Steven's Advice
    2 Warp Point
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Helix Fossil
    1 Night Maintenance

Energy: 16
    4 Call Energy
    8 Water Energy
    4 Scramble Energy

Strategy

Call Energy and Roseanne's research are to help setup and increase your bench for Empoleon's surf together attack. Pull a setup pokémon such as phione or chatot as bait to activate scramble energy, or choose Baltoy and Piplup for a sustainable engine. Unown Q and Holon's Castform help preserve energy attachments. Mew* can copy opponent's setup attacks such as call for family or evolutionary wish. It can also copy attacks like Restore or Pain Amplifier. With rainbow wave, you can spread very efficently in the mirror match or perhaps in a tight situation against Phione or Glaceon. Holon's Castform allows for other attacks such as Bring Down or Shield Beam to be used.

This version is turbo and tech based. Other additions to consider include Absol ex, Omastar PK, Bronzong, more Night Maintenance and Warp Point, Celio's Network or quick balls without the techs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  2. garchompx12

garchompx12 New Member

nice article needs a tech section(suicune SW, absol ex, dugtrio, etc)

3. Dr. Mason

Dr. Mason New Member

After Nats...a little late?

I see this still being good next year, but to a lesser extentg. Too many basic poke decks :p Nice article all the same.

4. Rai

Rai <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

hmm...

I know you went over your techs in the bottom of the article, but perhaps could you explain a bit more your choices with the list? For example: Why that Prinplup, when there's also the option of Prinplup MD? Why Piplup MD, when Piplup DP can attaack for no energy? Why tbe Helix Fossil route with the options of Holon Fossil as well? Perhaps someone reading this wouldn't understand why Galactic's Wager is used, or why not run 4 copies. Etc.

Empoleon's a deck with a lot of options available in just about everything. So, it kind of makes sense for an article about that card to go over the various options, right?

5. Dragon100

Dragon100 New Member

Could i ask why there is no Holon WP Energy?

6. you can try some Cyclone energies, or mantine techs,
    i think its best to list all available techs, so net deckers know what they could use

7. Time for Pain

Time for Pain <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

I like the list, that piplup can help early game spread by attacking anyone, that prinplup does 10 to everyone (on your opponents side) making omastar more useful, helix fossil evolves itself.

8. charchar

charchar New Member

yes yes the piplup is okay but 50 hp and it requires an energy to attack and the maximum damage it can do is 10. the dp piplup really messed me up. when ur battling magmorter or infernape or flareon or something firey the one that requirs no energy can attack while also settuping. the dp on can also 10 but u say u usually will splatter then brine right? but u usually want to get a quick empoleon out rather than prinplup getting prinplup yes its good but other decks also can out speed this one.

9. RareHunta

RareHunta New Member

This is a good deck I have the MD Empoleon the other one from DP is also good for this deck at least one is anyways and why not have the Piplup from DP, it has a free attack and 60 HP

10. Napoleon

Napoleon New Member

My first post for a while.......studies are so annoying........

Well, in my opinion, Rai decided to use the Piplup and Prinplup previously stated for a good reason:
    On the first turn Piplup allows you to choose the pokemon you want to attack, and then next turn hit with Brine for 40 damage. It will KO a few basics and also sets up nicely for Empoleon to come in and Dual Splash or Surf Together the active or previously Brined pokemon. The other reason which I just thought of is that it starts the damage spread early.

Also, just a quick question, can you Dual Splash a pokemon twice? So instead of 30-30, 30-30, you do 60-0 and save an attack?

11. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Napoleon, you cannot dual splash a pokemon twice with the same attack.

I think the new Starmie in LA could combo pretty well with Empoleon and the new De-evolution TM.

12. TheLegendKiller

TheLegendKiller New Member

Nice reading and interesting list, looks very much like FK`s list..........think it struggles without the tech.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  13. Muscovy Level X

Muscovy Level X New Member

Good article. I faced one at nats, and the Dual Splash+Primal Swirl was devastating.

14. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

This is a pretty weak article compared to others. It doesnt even include matchups.

15. Lucario-Master

Lucario-Master New Member

just wondering can anyone make a thing on decks like this or can only people that pokegym lets do it?

16. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

Anyone can submit articles, but its up to the pokegym pplz to decide if they post it or not.

17. Lucario-Master

Lucario-Master New Member

I hope this isn't spam but how do you submit an artical?

18. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

This link will allow you to submit an article

I don't mind criticism, the whole article I wrote more as a template or blank slate. To answer anyone's questions about Empoleon/Omastar. The list is my personal approach to the deck, the techs thought of myself tbh just cards I stick in every deck really. Some people, including TheLegendKiller have IM'd with additional techs, but I'm not posting those as it is not my work.

Saying that, if anyone has a better article, deck structure e.g. a Bronzong build, I'm sure everyone would appreciate it and feel free to add to/replace this article. I think this article is better than none at all, and gives people ideas to flavour their own builds. Netdeck if you like even!

19. Banette EX

Banette EX New Member

You gotta include matchups,tech sections cuz Suicune SW is like a staple to me in this deck. Nice deck tho,one of the best list Ive seen.

20. Brosius

Brosius New Member

3-4 steven's advice works very good against PLOX