Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

EternaSaur (SAVIOR_SELF?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After weeks and weeks of inactivity, I thought I would share an idea that I will test at League in the next coming weeks. For anyone that cares, my research is going well, one of my papers will be published next Spring.

EternaSaur
Modified Format

Pokemon: 19
4 Luvdisc (CG)
4 Bulbasaur (SW)
3 Ivysaur (SW)
4 Venusaur (SW)
2 Wooper (SW)
2 Quagsire d

Energy: 16
12 Grass
4 Double Rainbow

Trainers: 25
4 Buffer Piece
4 Celio's Network
4 Rare Candy
3 Windstorm/Warp Point
3 Steven's Advice
3 Professor Oak's Visit
2 Copycat
2 Night Maintenance

Strategy: Alright, I really like Venusaur. It's no secret that I like big, bulky Pokemon that have unique characteristics about them. I really enjoy Venusaur's PokePower. You can deal some serious damage with getting a couple flips your way in some games. You can effectively 2KO anything with hitting them with Poison. And nailing a Poison, then Burn flip can just be money. This is completely overlooking Venusaur's attack. Giant Bloom can leave your Venusaur healed up, especially by using Buffer Pieces. I like Luvdisc because it's a good searcher, that's not 2x weak to Fighting (Tauros, Zangoose, etc). And finally, I include Quagsire d because you can recover your Buffer Piece to continue to exploit Venusaur's longevity potential. The Trainers are set up to set up the Pokemon lines, obviously. I'm trying to decide whether or not to use Windstorm or Warp Point. Warp Point helps Venusaur's retreat cost while sending the Pokemon with Cessation Crystal to the Bench. I'll still try to decide what to use. We'll see.

Comments, thoughts, etc are appreciated in advance.

...2nd_coming...19 15 15 14

~Jim

Last edited:
Next set you could go as far as playing it with left overs and sunflora, I still think that would be a pretty fun deck to play.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

But seriously, does any one else have any other ideas? I mean, I've got a non-Blissey deck _ZOMG_ that I think might work. Can anyone help?

~Jim

No SSU? All the talk about flips and surviving forever and SSU popped right into my head.

Fire is a good weakness. No need to protect it.

What are you looking for Jim? Pokemon ideas? Trainer ideas? Energy ideas? I'll just throw out ideas that pop to mind, if that's okay.

Being grass and being able to put status conditions on the defending from the bench, it seems that it might be a good card with CG Swalot. Almost like a Grass Flariados.

Flareon* might work to auto burn both actives. You run grass energy, run GL too, and then you don't get burned by Flareon*.

Venusaur CG does look like a decent idea in the deck.

Would Vespiqueen work to heal all the damage on Venusaur?

How about Muk. Instant poison if they have any special energy like rainbow on them and then burn/etc them with Venusaur?

MT Ariados to either paralyze or poison plus whatever status condition venusaur gives it?

Trainers look good. I like the deck Jim. Good luck with it!

swalot's good prime. but why not go with wormadam and DRE? You get the +40 HP and auto confuse the defending plus whatever Venasaur puts on them. Buffer might be more useful on wormadam.

I'm not sure that I like the Luvdisc stater. It helps get the swarm started & might help with healing if you ran any stadiums ... but it seems like Stantler, Mawile, or something else could be a better.

As for Wap Point and Windstorm, I would remove 1 Rare Candy and play 2 Windstorm and 2 Warp Point to cover your bases. Araidos(MT) sounds like the best choice out there to help lock someone in with a bunch of conditions. You could also use a Skarmory Ex to make them take damage for retreating out of conditions. One thing to be afraid of though is the new Xatu, which could turn your whole strategy against you.

Hey Jim, I really like the deck. I LOVE venusar, I was telling all the people online how I thought it was one of the best cards in the new set. But most people didnt believe me. Him and bannette are my favorites but I was thinking of playing this with furret so you can use his first attack to grab extra candies, etc so you can setup as many venusaurs as possible so we can hopefully be doing 3 flips a turn. And plus furrets 2nd attack lets you save the energy you are playing on the first few turns so your venusaurs are powered up early.

I like him better then luvdisc as a starter anyway. You can play mentor/roseannae for getting basics out.

Hi Jim,

Not entire sure on Luvdisc. Would run some Great Balls or Rosanne's Research instead and switch out some cards for Quick Balls to obtain the needed Venusaur faster. At the moment the deck seems a little slow for me. Stick with Windstorm since the odds to have two Venusaur fueled are a little slim and the deck needs the status conditions to knock out the defender in two turns.

- 4 Luvdisc
- 1 Grass Energy
- 1 Celio's Network

+ 3 Quick Ball
+ 3 Rosanne's Research

Congratulation on the acceptance of your research paper for publication. What field are you working in?

i like using sunflora in this.
I also do not agree with luvdisc, it makes your blissey matchup even worse since they usually dont get since in the beginning of the game its usually a lone blissy by itself.

Now that's the sort of response I was hoping for! Thank you everyone. :biggrin:

In regards to my research and career aspirations, I'm actually a mixed bag right now. The research that is getting published is with respect to my work within Ecology regarding Predator-Prey Intereactions. I am also finishing up another project with Biodiversity of Fungi within areas of Duke Forest here in Durham, NC. I've given presentations on Colony Collapse Disorder and statistics, research done in that area as well. Now, Ecology is not my career path. I am a Biology major with specific interest and concentration in Genetics. This upcoming Spring I will be working intensively on hardcore research with my current Genetics professor. I will be looking at fruit flies after induction of mutation with respect to oogenesis (egg-development). I am looking to get into Ohio State or one of its affiliate colleges (Kent State, Univ. of Akron) for my Masters next Fall. I will then get my PhD at either Ohio State or the University of Cincinnati. I want to go into Molecular Genetics, but specifically what area is still up in the area. I am fascinated by disease and looking at the genetics of viruses or pathogens could be a very real career aspect. I've also given thought to becoming a college professor with the ability to research and teach.

Alright, in regards to Swalot, I actually tested Swalot with Meganium in the past, and was just WAITING for Venusaur to come out to exploit Reactive Poison. It's a definite possibility choice no doubt and one I will test. I know there are many choices to put in for Quagsire's spot, Wormadam was mentioned, as was Sunflora. They are both great cards. Heck, Venomoth could fit in here too. A lot of interesting Grass cards came out last set. I am just a bit iffy though on the low HP on both Basics (Sunkern, Burmy) because of the T2 monopoly that seems to exist right now.

But, the idea behind this deck is to re-use Buffer Piece, I can get up to 8 pieces, that's up to -160 damage over the game. And then healing the damage away with heads on Venusaur, that's just outrageous. Sunflora is interesting, but it's stopped by Cessation, whereas Buffer protects me before the damage is placed. With a little luck, I can remove 40 damage a shot.

The Luvdisc issue was where I needed the most help. I do enjoy the concept of Furret, it's a great card. But I really only have 4 spaces dedicated to an opener. I'd have to go 3/3 to maximize Furret. Or if I did go 2/2 that would leave me with 8 Basics, which doesn't seem like a high enough number when you've got PICKUP_TRUK_"Do a Barrel_"ROLLZ_LOL hitting stuff quickly. I hate being Benched Out. Which is also why I don't think I would drop the spaces for extra Trainers. Stantler is interesting though too I could get away with running smaller numbers of different Supporters to give me more variability during setup.

Crystal Guardians Venusaur is actually a really cool concept, I forgot about it. It would let me get away with playing Warp Energy and still get them counted as Grass. If I slapped down a Boost, that would provide 3 Grass, with Venusaur CG in play, right? I'll think about it, and definitely test it.

Actually, thinking more about the design of the deck, I might give this a try:

EternaSaur
Modified Format

Pokemon: 19
4 Celebi (MT)
4 Bulbasaur (SW)
3 Ivysaur (SW)
4 Venusaur (SW)
2 Wooper (SW)
2 Quagsire d

Energy: 16
12 Grass
4 Double Rainbow

Trainers: 25
4 Buffer Piece
4 Celio's Network
3 Roseanne's Research
3 Rare Candy
3 Warp Point
3 Steven's Advice
2 Copycat
2 Professor Oak's Visit
1 Night Maintenance

In this version, I am not so confident about my Trainer picks. This is where I actually need to do the testing. I think I probably should go 4 Roseanne, since it's actually a more universal card than say Mentor because I can use it to grab energy if my Bench is full, or have no need for Bench, or during recovery, but think I could get away with 3. I am not so sure about losing Copycat also, but I like having plenty of actual draw as well. Also, 2 Night Maintenance might not be needed since I have so much recovery. I can also reduce a Celio. I have options and will play with my Trainers to see what I like. I do like Celebi here in terms of speed. I can build myself up, and then Leaf Tornado the energy all around me. Sort of a pseudo-energy accelerator. I like how I have enough different options in this deck in terms of building up, which is what I need. Because once I finish setting up, it's gonna be really hard to stop me. I think the deck looks more streamline and efficient now. I'm trying to maximize each space. The only other thing I could do would be to maybe drop a Grass energy for another Roseanne, but rarely dip below 16 unless I have a special strategy.

Additional thoughts, concerns, critiques, etc are appreciated!

Mox Ego Volo Reverto ...2nd_coming...19 15 15 14..._XII

~Jim

I thought of Celebi, but it didn't really go with the whole status idea.

I don't really see the reason behind the 3 Roseanne. Castaway can grab the Buffer Pieces and grab energy too, and it has more use mid-late game than Roseanne does.

Hope the deck does you well Jim.

I was just going to suggest Mawile. She can survive most early rush decks and is simply a great starter. Celebi is nice for grabbing energy ... but Mawile will get you anything you need be it Roseanne's Research, Buffer Piece, or Rare Candy.

With no effective energy acceleration in the deck, and the choice to play a setup pokemon requiring an energy drop (whether luvdisc, mawile, or what have you), I'm thinking a couple scramble energies would play out well here. You're going to lose that starter by t2-3 on average, and you'll either be faced with attacking with Ivysaur (and risk getting it knocked out) or with a reduced-power Venusaur reliant upon a DRE. After luvdisc drops the two bulbasaur, I would think the play would be to slow-power one while holding the scramble-candy-venusaur for the other. It'll be that scrambled venusaur that comes up as your first attacker then, and it can either even the prizes or slow the opponent significantly. Add to that the fact that you're playing an attrition deck anyway, and scramble becomes that much more important; a stage 2 with no energy acceleration is going to get behind on prizes frequently. The idea here, of course, is to stall that prize leak around 2-3 prizes and turn it around. Scramble will help immensely with that.

I was thinking Scramble, too. Furret would be awesome with those, setting up Venusaurs, getting Scrambles, and still hurting them from the bench.

Celebi is really fun. I'd definitely fit the 1 Venusaur CG in that list, because it just benefits too much from Celebi.

As far as trainers, Castaway would be awesome. Aside from obviously getting Buffer it would ensure getting Roseanne/Bulbasaur.

I'd say don't use a starter. Bulbasaur has growth which is an amazing attack to accel you to a t2 ivysaur/venusaur.

Hi Jim,

The research sounds interesting. Like the idea of some reviewers to use the older Bulbasaur with a built in energies acceleration and still love the balls engine to obtain a little more speed with this deck to ensure it is able to spread status conditions on turn three.

POKEMON (15):

4 Bulbasaur (CG)
3 Ivysaur (SW)
4 Venusaur (SW)
2 Wooper (SW)
2 Quagsire d

TRAINER (30):

3 Team Galactic’s Wager
3 Professor Oak's Visit
2 Night Maintenance
3 Steven's Advice
3 Celio's Network
4 Buffer Piece
3 Rare Candy
3 Warp Point
3 Quick Ball
3 Great Ball

ENERGY (15):

3 Scramble Energy
12 Grass Energy

POSSIBLE MODIFICATION:

- 3 Warp Point
+ 3 Windstorm

Like Windstorm a little more in this deck due to Venusaur's retreat costs and the slim odds to have a second fueld Venusaur out turn four. Guess you might dislike the lower basic count but it still works fine and ensures one starts with Bulbasaur most of the time to obtain a turn two or turn three Venusaur. Let me know what you think about this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back