EX Discussion #1: Hitmonchan

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by League Leader Terry, Oct 14, 2003.

1. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

Let's first have a look at his stats:

90HP
    F Steady Punch 10+: Flip a coin. If heads, does 10 damage plus 10 more
    FFC Sky Uppercut 50: Not effected by Resistance

P Weakness, No Resistance, CC Retreat

Obviously, he was meant to take the place of the old Hitmonchan in the EON format. He powers up at the same rate as the old one and can potentially do slightly more damage while powering up. His first attack isn't as reliable as the original's first attack but the second attack is much better IMO.

So, what do you guys think? Is he worth building a deck around like the old one? Or is he better off as a back-up Pokemon? Or is he just not worth using?

2. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

I use Chan EX in my Swamiyama deck as a fast fighter I can't really see it being the focus of a deck, though-it doesn't really combo with anything.

3. Captain Obviousx1

Captain Obviousx1 New Member

Well, since Psychic is gonna be a huge E-on type(what with Gardy and such), I can't see Hitmo EX doing particulary well. However, he can take out 'Catty in one shot, so maybe he might go with that Victreebell who has the gusty power...

4. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

I'm banking on people to play darkness pokemon to counter psychic.

5. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

For most decks Solrock will fit better. Chan ex is better minus the ex of course but he isn't an extreme (ex) amount better than Solrock which can also OHKO Delcatty, Linoone etc.

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

like yoshi said, expect to see some darkness types to counter the number of Gardevoir decks that are starting to show at in the E-on format. Hopefully, something good will come from the Dragon set to either 1) counter Gardevoir (i.e., darkness Pokemon), or 2) be as good as Gardevoir or better.

So, IMO, Hitmonchan EX won't see much use in E-on. Besides Gardevoir EX, I expect to see some Raichu EX beat down, Kabutops EX/Steelix tank, and Wailord EX stall decks.

7. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Currently not a lot of Darkness worth playing, and even if there is, you just add in an E1 Machop or a Mahukita (either the 20 for CC for the Lowkick or 30 for FC version) and hit them hard and fast. I know Steve actually said this already, but Yoshi seemed to think some Dark would see more play (Mightyena?). Gardevoir decks hate Sandstorm Wobbuffet and Mewtwo ex. Both can be easily added to most decks. Mewtwo ex is stronger than Wobbuffet and the Gardevoir (Garevoir ex can take it if it can power up fast enough), but both Mewtwo ex and Gardevoir ex are trumped by Wobbuffet (100 damage after weakness, and they can't touch it). Ffet is slower than the normal Gardevoir of R/S, but can OHKO it (50 x 2 = 100, afterall). Kabutops ex and Raichu ex will see some play: they shouldn't, but they will. We have better water and Eletric Pokemon available: For example, Vaporeon tag teams with my Steelix since it is nice, reliable damage. E3 Starmie is a east, but I want my deck to remain "stable" since Ruby/Sapphire should make it through another set rotation, but the WotC sets are most definitely on the choping block. As for Wailord ex, I have two or thre large scale bench dmaging decks in the works, and it has to be able to run and heal to be of use, though it can be useful if you are smart and use it only as a quick opener, then de-volve it and re-evolve it to a normal Wailord (or so I am told).

As for Hitmonchan ex, what is wrong with it? Let me tell you. Most basic thing about an ex Pokemon is that it has to be a bit better than two of its non-ex counter parts. It can be awkward comparing them though. First, it's nice that you need about half as much energy by comparison (two Base Chan need FFFFCC, while ex needs just FFC), and the tendencey towards higher HP means that it is harder to KO, but it must match up to two. Since the higher HP means that healing is more feasible, it does not need an exact doubling, but generally between 60% to 2/3 of an increase, minimum 100 (use the higher of the two). Chan ex only get's a 50% increase over the "bleh" versions of late, and not even that for the "classic" Base Set chan. Another 10 would have been been about right (60 seems to be the most common chan HP, so 60 + 2/3 * 60 = 100). Retreat is acceptable. FIrst attack is "fair". Second is discounted by about (F). So, even if Psychic comes under control, it's still jsut a bit shy of what it needs. The only Basic ex that is undisputedly useful is Mewtwo ex-others may be useful, but are hotly contested. Had they followed mewtwos formula, it would have retained Jab, had an extra retreat and 10 more HP, and done SPecial Punch for 60. It's the HP and first attack that really hurt it. Even Jab might not have helped: Energy Absorption is incredibly potent, afterall.

Does this mean it will never see play? No. it has some use in Fighting decks and will be much more useful when we switch over to pure Nintendo.