EX Dragon will have 97 cards....

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Water Pokemon Master, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

I was browsing Google to find low prices for booster boxes and I came across this info:

"EX Dragon features 97 new cards emphasizing new strategies unique to the new Dragon type Pokémon. Look for new game play mechanics such as Dragon Flame, Dragon Spark, and Dragon Crush. New Trainer cards add all new strategies and now players can actually control the environment – that’s BIG! There are new multiple Energy type attacks, special strengths, special weaknesses, and much, much more… EX Dragon is presented in 9-card booster packs. Each booster pack contains 1 reverse foil, 1 rare, 2 uncommon, and 5 common cards."

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dragonballzcentral/poexdrtrcaga.html

2. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Thanks for the update. New mechanics? I can't wait. I love new mechanics. Lord of the Rings (my other TCG-of-choice) is always introducing new mechanics and meta-game counters. This should be fun!

3. Tego

Tego New Member

They make it all sound very exiciting, but lots of the info here is just weird.

EX Dragon features 97 new cards emphasizing new strategies unique to the new Dragon type Pokémon.
    There is no new Dragon type. There's no new Energy type, the Dragon Pokémon have other normal energy types like Colorless. And the Dragon Pokémon aren't new in any way, we've always had Dragonite, Kingdra etc.

Look for new game play mechanics such as Dragon Flame, Dragon Spark, and Dragon Crush.
    New mechanics? That just seems to be names of new attacks. All expansions have new attacks.

New Trainer cards add all new strategies and now players can actually control the environment – that’s BIG!
    What? This sounds interesting - control the environment?

There are new multiple Energy type attacks,
    *Cough* Multienergy-attacks aren not new. Shining Pokémon had them, the Expedition Dragonite line had them and the Crystal Pokémon had them. They were all utterly awful. Props to anyone who's ever deared putting a Crystal Pokémon into a deck.

special strengths, special weaknesses,
    Special strengths? Now what is that supposed to mean. Actually, it could mean about anything. Special weaknesses? I suppose what they mean with that is that there now are Pokémon with colorless weakness. Which is an interesting, though odd, new feature.

and much, much more…
    Let's hope so.

EX Dragon is presented in 9-card booster packs. Each booster pack contains 1 reverse foil, 1 rare, 2 uncommon, and 5 common cards."
    As usual.

4. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Well, I would not trust Marketing's summary on a expansion...

Now With 100% New reprinted *mechanics

*attacks/powers
    -Phil

5. Tego

Tego New Member

True, marketing summaries on expansions are always stupid. I remember when they said that Aquapolis had new Energy types (when they meant new Special Energy cards). And when they said Sandstorm had an all new mechanic called Link Attacks. o_O

I just wanted to finally point out how much strange stuff they said by quoting them on one.

6. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

And NEW STADIUM CONTROL

Laughs. This sould be fun: how to sell an old idea as something new.

goes off to look at canadian website for clues on dragons....

7. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Sounds like Stadium cards to me.

Probably means how Dragon have 2 Resistances.

Gotta love Marketing.

54 cards in ADV3 in Japan. Plus 2 30-card decks (can't find spoilers for these anywhere and i haven't opened ours) so don't know how many new cards are in each set deck. So does ADV3 contain new cards like Sandstorm?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  8. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

This is what it says on the distributors site:

97 cards. Including 26 all-new pokemon from the Ruby and Saphire video games.

Themed around Dragon Pokémon, this expansion has new strategies unique to these special Pokémon such as multiple energy type attacks, special strengths, and special weaknesses.

Then lots of UPC codes and pack dimensions and weights. The box has a picture of Latias and Latios flying in the sky.
    I have a copy of the information saved as a bitmap. It looks like they have taken the marketing flyer and used that without any modification.

9. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

ADV3 mini-decks

Each deck has 19 numbered cards - nearly all the trainers are the same as the main set (ADV3) - so the number of unique cards together is 84 according to PA! That leaves 13 cards to speculate over...

10. League Leader Terry

League Leader Terry New Member

I hope these "new mechanics" are just new attacks. New mechanics used in moderation is a good thing. But then, your mention of Lord of the Rings TCG reminded me of the old Middle Earth CCG. Admittingly, I've only seen the first set of LotR TCG but it looked nearly exactly like how Middle Earth was in the beginning. But then, they kept adding new mechanics and new rules to eventually it got to the point where the game was so bloated with the new mechanics that it died horribly. Too many new mechanics used at the same time makes the game far too complicated, which is what happened to Middle Earth.

11. White Gryphon

White Gryphon New Member

The regular rare Flygon that comes with the deck... kinda sucks. But I like the holo rare Flygon... Can't wait until this set is released, I'm gonna see what I can do with a Flygon.

12. BJJ763

Funny i get 54 (ADV3) + 13 (cards unique to the Salamance deck) + 13 (cards unique to the Flygon deck) = 80 so that leaves 17 to speculate over. RR how'd you get your numbers? Both decks contain 12 different Pokémon and a Stadium card (oooohhh there's your environment control ;)).

What could be added? Darkness and Metal type Pokémon are not in this set. Some could be added. Fire is woefully under represented. If "environment control" is supposed to be big, how about a few more Stadiums?

And bring back Professor Elm.

13. farbsman

farbsman New Member

Yes I would love to see that card in the set. Then maybe someone at my league will actually want all these Elm's I have left over.

14. RainbowRichards

RainbowRichards Active Member

I was going by nick's site - but now that I actually do a first-hand check:

12 Poke's in each deck = 24
    1 unique Stadium in each deck = 2
    3 trainers (same in both decks) that are not in the main set = 3 (Potion, Pokenav, Poke Ball)

Total unique cards in both mini-decks = 29 (not 30 as reported on PA!) ?? - makes for 83 cards total .... "whatever"

15. BJJ763

Oh yeah i crossed those cards off as being already released. Boy can't wait to get those cards again.

16. Porygon3

Porygon3 New Member

I still dont see why the new statum rull of one per turn was put in the rull book... these statums that look like starter only inserts ? (if so THAT will be a first, well wait, machamp was a starter only card for quite some tiem...feh...)

17. dkates

dkates New Member

Why one Stadium per turn? Probably to make it a little harder to abuse Stadiums by putting them in play, then replacing them before your opponent can get the benefits. Stadiums are supposed to affect all players, after all. And some of them are actually decent, if used correctly -- Ancient Ruins, for example.

18. Dek

Dek New Member

I believe this was explained back in May/June/July when WotC was still in the buisiness, but I'll re-explain it. Basically, Nintendo is trying to make the TCG more like the GB game. Therefore, imagine the one stadium per turn rule as going from city to city in the Gameboy game. you go to each city ONE at a time.

Controling the environment, eh? Ill have to agree with BJJ on this one. They're probably just new stadium cards (which we really need, since the Exp-Sky arent that high quality, IMO).

This is also interesting. Since Nintendo introduced two weaknesses, they might introduce two resistances. Maybe Grass types might even have a resistance to Lightning :eek: (it would make sense, especially just like in the GB game).

Another thing I just remembered. Remember when we talked about Dragonite ex in one of the posts, and some of us were puzzled about the Colorless weakness. Well, I found out the answer. Recently, I did some more research on how certain Pokemon's weaknesses and resistances actually work. After taking a few hours of studying the Gamboy game and the Trading Card Game, I finally found the answer. The reason why Dragonite ex has a weakness to colorless is because DRAGONS ARE WEAK TO THEMSELVES. When a dragon attack does damage to a dragon-type, it will add weakness damage. Therefore, it would make sense for Dragonite ex to have a colorless weakness because it is to represent a weakness to other dragon pokemon.

19. dkates

dkates New Member

Sorry -- in my post, that was meant to be a rhetorical question.

20. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Elm may come back at some point in the future. But I rather like the elmless world that we are now in. It may not stay fun for long but its fun right now, and thats good enough for me.

Oops nearly forgot that UK still has Elm for a little while longer. I MUST REMEMBER THAT ELM IS OK ..just built a deck without the proffessor. LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.