Ex-Dragons product pictures released!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Cyrus, Sep 28, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Now, I just recently received an e-mail from one of my South Texas pals, containing a link to new ex-dragons pics!

Here's the link for your viewing pleasure:
    http://www.sportslined.com/html/pokemon_dragon.html

WOW!! This must be the best deck/pack art since well...ever! :eek:

2. Dek

Dek New Member

Awsome job, dude. and welcome to the forums.

3. HypnosProjectHQ

HypnosProjectHQ New Member

Cool dude. Thanks for the images!

4. soslowpoke

soslowpoke New Member

Neat...looks like the theme deck boxes are changing shape...

5. Nick15

Nick15 Member

Holy smeg! HOW in the world did they get these images?! .... They're mine now! :p ... well, not really MINE, but.... uhm.... [runs away]

6. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

Thanks for the information, and the images. From first look this is looking like it might add a bit more "ferocity" to the game, by introducing these powerful "dragon-type" new Pokemon into the current card pool.

I am also starting to see a pattern here, which seems to be indicitive on the direction the brand is taking.

On this set, and the last one (sandstorm), there was much LESS emphasis on the "cutesy" aspect of Pokemon, and much more emphasis on the "ferocious" Pokemon, which COULD serve to maybe swing some people's preceptions that Pokemon is just merely small "cute" creatures.

Some of the recents stats I have seen on the bigger players such as the Pokemon listed on these boxes and/or theme decks, are really painting a much darker image of Pokemon, which I think, if done correctly, could really mean very GOOD things for the game (and the brand) in the near and distant future.

Take Care,

Skywolf1

7. Orange Soda

Orange Soda New Member

Both the Ruby & Sapphire and Sandstorm sets used the same types in their theme decks: Fire, Fighting, Water, and Grass. It's nice to see that Lightning will finally appear again (not since Skyridge, with Eeveelution) in the Wind Blast deck. Perhaps Fire Fang will have Psychic (also not since Skyridge, with Mind Machine).

The medievil font is cool, too.

And while not really a big difference, I guess the set's name is "Dragon" and not "Dragons".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  8. Nick15

Nick15 Member

I am also starting to see a pattern here, which seems to be indicitive on the direction the brand is taking.

This is something I've noticed when I first read the spoilers for EX: Ruby & Sapphire. Nintendo of Japan/America is working their behinds off trying to get this game to appeal to EVERYONE (young and old, East and West). I think it FINALLY clicked in Japan's head that WESTERNERS play this game and need a little more punch out of the game. That's why I think these EX sets have had more exciting attacks and game features (EX Pokémon, Duel Weakness/Resistances, etc) and that the cutie levels have decreased... all in an effort to appeal more to the demanding Western players.

Hey, I think it's working! :D

9. TheRealWobbuffet

TheRealWobbuffet New Member

It seems the Flygon deck is in type equivalence of the considered types of the japanese Flygon deck. Going by that, the Salamence one will most likely be Fire/Water.

10. XxShininG_CeLebIxX

XxShininG_CeLebIxX New Member

Those are cool-looking decks and boosters. That logo is also really nice. I hope that these are not fake images.
    Even though I love Ken Sugimori's art, I am glad that Nintendo did not choose to use his art on the art of the boosters and decks.

Can't wait to get my hands on these cards.

:D

11. Cyrus

"Arthas Zero: Awsome job, dude. and welcome to the forums."

Doy, but I've been here since August! I'm member #37 :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  12. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Wow! The art is amazing! Thanks for finding that for us, Patriarch!

It seems as if Nintendo is making the TCG more like the Gameboy (2 weaknesses, 2-on-2, etc.)

13. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

Thats the thing about EX sets, they look more professional and stylish as a trading card.

14. FlygonChampion

FlygonChampion New Member

THAT LOOKS AWFUL!!! HOW I HOPE ALL OF THAT IS FAKE!! please oh please oh please....

15. TheRealWobbuffet

TheRealWobbuffet New Member

o_O How do they look awful? They look great! They're very well done.

16. FlygonChampion

Are you kidding me?
    It makes them all look like some Medieval kiddie things...sheesh

17. Cyrus

RE therealwobbuffet: Flygon's just not used to this change. Those who loved the old Ken Sugimori stick-on packs are going to scream,
    whereas the people who wanted something more powerful and more exciting (ie most of us) get the first bit of that after 4+ years of waiting.

18. Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Master <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

Why is there always someone who doesn't like something? The art is the best ever and it is meant to look "medieval" because it has to do with dragons. The way they re-designed the boxes is cool, too. In the 17 sets ever released in the past five years, this looks like it is going to have the best art and creativity, yet.

19. FlygonChampion

Meh, but Flygon and salamence AREN'T medieval.
    They're ancient forces meant to be reckoned with using all the Pokemon you have, not with your trusty steed.

And there is still a good chance those are fake and Sugimori will still rule, so HA!

20. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Mmmm. Not everyone will like the new look.

To me the PKMN-Ex general look contains much more 'anime creaturific' monsters composed of layers of geometric shapes. Some of us enjoy the more 'cartoonish' looking PKMN looks of the previous sets. Variety is the spice of life, but there are plenty of things out there with creatures that look like funky Gundams...keep your uniqueness.

Lost in all the discussion of the art (which is a great discussion) is the raw marketing sheet text that that Co. dumped on another page with the collectors tin:

"To make things even more exciting this fourth quarter, we will be building on our extensive marketing efforts with a new television advertising campaign for the Pokemon-e TCG (starting in november). This is sure to draw alot of attention!"

Now THAT is significant news and this has been something the game has been missing for a long time. Hope the campaign mirrors the maturity and breadth of the new sets. The last wizards campaign I saw lacked both, being unexciting in presentation and aimed definitely at the younger set, like 10- (kids on bike arriving at a store and playing...just very simplistic ad; the kid who dolled his dog up as Pikachu was hilarious though, but I don't think it would appeal to all ages).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.