EX Epert rules and POP Floor rules : Mulligan

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Michel, Oct 6, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michel

Michel New Member

When I read the Pokemon-e TCG EX Expert rules, I find :

What Happens if Neither Player Gets a Basic Pokémon Card in His or Her First seven Cards?
    Sometimes neither you nor your opponent get any Basic Pokémon cards in your first hands of seven cards. If this happens, both players shuffle and draw seven new cards. In this case, neither player gets to draw an extra card. Repeat this process until at least one of the players has a Basic Pokémon card in his or her hand of seven cards. If the other player still doesn't have a Basic Pokémon card in his or her hand, that player can shuffle and draw seven new cards, but the player who already has a Basic Pokémon card can draw an extra card as usual. Continue this process until each player has a Basic Pokémon card in his or her hand of seven cards.

In the POP Floor rules, Tournament structure, Pre-game set-up, we see the following text :

3. The player going first checks to see if he or she has a Basic Pokémon card in their hand. If they don’t have any, that player reveals their hand to the opponent and then shuffles their hand back into their deck. That player draws a new opening hand of 7 cards, while their opponent may draw an extra card. This will be repeated until the starting player has at least one Basic Pokémon in their hand.
    4. The other player checks to see if his or her hand has at least one Basic Pokémon at this time. If they don’t have any Basic Pokémon, they shuffle their hand back into their deck and draw an equal number of cards. (For example, Jake drew an extra card because Sarah had to re-draw her hand once. If Jake doesn’t have any Basic Pokémon in his hand of 8 cards, he will shuffle his hand back into his deck, and re-draw a hand of 8 cards.) The starting player would be allowed to draw one extra card.

If I'm right, these two presentations of the mulligan are not the same.

I would use the 'POP Floor Rules' procedure instead of the other one, but if the POPFR is legal in tournaments, is the 'Expert rules' procedure legal too, and if it is, where ?

If the Expert rules procedure is legal in league play, I would suggest to have one, and only one, way of playing at any level of play in order to prevent mistakes and confusion. :)

2. Big Daddy Snorlax

Big Daddy Snorlax Administrator

This is one of several differences between the Rule Book and the Floor Rules. We asked Jimmer why there was a need for two versions, and he explained that in some cases the Floor Rules have been changed to address the more competitive aspects of Organized Play. He also said that the Rule Book still applies to Organized Play, except in cases where the Floor Rules say something different. That means if something is not addressed in the Floor Rules, you can apply the rule on it from the Rule Book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.