Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fall '07 Anime Discussion

Professor_Chris

Fall ’07 Anime Discussion

Well, unfortunately, this season won’t live up to the Spring Season of awesome. I never got around to updating the last thread, but some of the things I mentioned but didn’t talk about turned out to be really good, including: Darker than BLACK, Kotetsushin Jeeg, Seto no Hanayome, sola, Lucky Star, Gigantic Formula, and Oh! Edo Rocket. And, of course, at the time, I also underestimated the amount of absolute epic win contained within Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (i.e. best anime of this year).

As usual, this thread is for discussion of the Fall Season of anime airing in Japan. Make a new thread if you want to talk about the new stuff showing on Adult Swim or what have you. Not much happened in September aside from some movies, so I’ll start in October.

Genshiken 2
OP
It’s more Genshiken. That’s all that really needs to be said. It picks up where the OVA left off. They’ve received the acceptance letter to have a booth at Comifes, so they go to work on their doujin. If you liked the first season, then you’ll probably enjoy this as well.

Shakugan no Shana II
OP
Another season two! Again, there’s not much to say. It’s more Shana.

Kidou Senshi Gundam 00
OP
Well, not going to waste my time writing too much about this one. Like Genshiken, it already has a dedicated thread. Check it out. It looks promising.

CLANNAD
OP
Well, if you liked Kanon ’06, sola, and/or Air, you’ll probably like CLANNAD. I’m really not sure where this series is going, but so far it’s been pretty good. In particular, the scenes involving Sakagami Tomoyo and Sunohara Youhei are hilarious.

Juushin Enbu: Hero Tales
OP (By Beat Crusaders, so it’s all in Engrish)
This one looks like it has potential. Hopefully it’ll turn out good, because I really want another good martial arts series to watch.
One day, a single man infiltrates the temple to steal the sword kept there: Kenkaranpu, the conqueror’s sword who chooses its wielder and can only be drawn by the next emperor. Taitou, a young boy, attempts to stop him and avenge his comrades. Even after drawing the conqueror’s sword he is no match for the intruder. The intruder escapes with the sword and Taitou manages to survive. Of course, he must take revenge on his comrades and retrieve the sword.

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
OP
So, a demon who had devoured all the mysteries/puzzles of the demon world has come to the human world in search of more to devour. To accomplish this, he makes a teenage girl a renowned teenage detective by solving cases through her, so more delicious mysteries will come his way. The first episode was really good. I enjoy a good detective series. I just wish people would sub this. =(

Suteki Tantei Labyrinth
OP
Speaking of detective series . . . I actually felt lied to with this one. There’s not much deduction going on. Merely, he has this psychic-like ability to solve crimes. :\ Also, there are way too many shotacons for any one series. I may give it a few more episodes before I drop it.

Bamboo Blade
OP
Well, there’s this kendo club, and no one ever attends except this one, incredibly enthusiastic girl. The instructor is too worried about making ends meet to really care about the club. That is, however, until he makes a bet with a friend that his kendo club’s girls can beat his friend’s kendo club’s girls in a match. The prize? A year of eating for free at his friend’s family restaurant. So, all of a sudden he’s desperate to get this club back on its feet.

Shugo Chara!
OP
If you absolutely love plaid, this is the series for you. Well, it’s a magical girl series filled with MPD (multiple personality disorder) and plaid. It’s pretty cute and not that bad actually.

Sketchbook ~full color’S~
OP
Well, Hidamari Sketch was pretty good, so I thought I’d check this out. It’s pretty decent. There’s really not much to say about it though. The misspelling in the title is pretty funny though.

Minami-ke
OP
A slice-of-life comedy about three sisters and their ordinary lives told in an extraordinary way. I enjoyed the first episode. The whole confession letter->challenge letter scene was great.

Prism Ark
OP
I can tell you I really have no idea what this is really about. However, I’m a sucker for anything that looks like an animated RPG. So, I’ll give it another episode or two before I cast final judgment on it.

Plan on trying this month:
Macross F
Maple Story (yes, it’s based on the Korean MMO)
Ghost Hound

Things I’m not touching with a ten foot pole:
Kodomo no Jikan
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun

Interesting looking series from next month:
Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Tokyo Revelations)
That’s it. Not much happening next month aside from Tsubasa OVA and some other OVA. And by “not much” I mean those are the only two on anidb’s calendar for November.

Downloaded but didn’t watched/don’t remember/didn’t feel like writing about:
Night Wizard (was really bland, I remember that much)
ef – a tale of memories
Myself; Yourself
Dragonaut Resonance
Rental Magica

I never watched the first Da Capo. Is it any good? If so, feel free to contribute. These threads aren't just supposed to be me alone talking about what I've watched. XD

Da Capo is just a stereotypical harem anime. I'd say the conflict starts with the protagonist choosing the girl he loves, then going into deeper conflict after making his decision.

Da Capo Second Season revolves more around Aisia, and her dream to make everybody happy using magic.

I enjoyed second season more, probably because there weren't any mini-series within DCSS

I looked and saw there was a Da Capo 2 AND a Da Capo II. How confusing. @_@ I might check out this new one since it's apparently not a direct sequel to the others.

You didn't mention the new You're Under Arrest? Then again, that series is kinda old.

I dunno about Genshiken, is it better than Comic Party? CPR was awful, but the first one was pretty good.

Agree with the ones not to touch though. Kodomo no Jikan is just disturbing, in a really, really bad way. Anyone who probably likes that series is also probably registered in a way that everyone knows where you live, and will never approach your house for the reason. Goshoshuu-sama has an interesting premise, but knowing how most harem animes go, forget it.

I never saw more than an episode or so of Comic Party when my friend brought over a DVD many moons ago, so I can't really say. Genshiken is pretty good though as long as a slice-of-life comedy about otaku (and one of them's normal girlfriend) doesn't bother you. It's better than Doujin Work, which was hilarious in its own right.

Never saw You're Under Arrest. Is this a re-make or a sequel or what?

I admit I know nothing about Kodomo no Jikan, but I have heard to stay away from it, so I've chosen to heed that advice. Now, I don't mind harem anime, I just tend to stay away from those that recieve the lable "ecchi" as fanservice usually ends up taking precedence over any sort of story.

Well, let's just say that shows kodomo no jikan make me wonder how far the Japanese are willing to go to make a buck. It's almost sickening what they portray on there.

Yah, but they didn't need to make an anime out of it. Seriously, shows like this wreck the entire anime/manga community and make us look like a bunch of perverts. They should have left kodomo no jikan alone so it can languish on the hentai shelf for the next century. Legitimizing the show on national TV only hurts anime as a genre.

I read the brief plot summary on AniDB. I have a better idea about why to stay away from it now. ._.

Now, the real question is, why do you two know so much about it? >_>;

I read articles on Anime News Network surrounding the controversy. It's pretty sad how many people use censorship as a reason to support the show, regardless of the content.

By the way, I'm watching Myself ; Yourself
Pretty interesting

Basically about how Hidaka Sana moved out of his hometown when he was 11 and moved back in at the age of 16. Without spoiling, the first episode had a nice ending.

By the way, I'm watching Myself ; Yourself
Pretty interesting

Basically about how Hidaka Sana moved out of his hometown when he was 11 and moved back in at the age of 16. Without spoiling, the first episode had a nice ending.
I've been watching it too. I just couldn't remember it when I was writing the original post. The only thing I actually haven't actually watched on that downloaded list is ef. I should probably download another episode or two of Night Wizard as well to see if it gets more interesting.

Back