Fire Emblem: The review

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by Dek, Feb 7, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Dek

Dek New Member

Well, im sure you guys have been anticipating this one for a while. Basically, lets put it like this. If you're a Smash Bros fan, an Advanced Wars fan, a Warhammer fan, or one of those guys that likes to put on tin hats, grab wodden swords and shields, and like to scream out random warcrys in a deserted area, then this is the game for you.

Story: Help Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood in their quest to prevent the Scouring from coming back. The Scouring was a time where dragons lived and ruled.

Graphics: I really dont know what to say about teh graphics. overall, they are pretty good, especially adding in character models that are similar to anime. The models that are used in battles are very well done. The environments look very good as well. And most of all, I loved the animations for the characters when going into battle mode.

Sound: From music to sword slashing, the sounds in this game are very well done. I am very impressed with the quality of the sound, even though my TV is only on mono.

Controls: Controls are a little confusing at first, but when you go through the 30+ missions, you'll get the hang of it :lol:

Gameplay: The gameplay in this game is very interesting. Think about like this- The evolution process of Pokemon (you use items on characters when they are at a certain level) and the strategic choices of Advanced Wars. Its that strange, but it's very well done. I can see why this game is so popular in Japan for over a decade.

Overall: Even though its the first of its kind here in america, you'll love this game. Very addicting, and probably can compete with FFTA.

Downsides: The only problems i saw with this is game are the difficulty levels and the number of units. Sure there's a good number, but I did wanna see a smaller increase in units.

Positives:
    + Good graphics
    + Good gameplay
    + Good sound
    + Great story

Negatives:
    - Difficulty levels are insane
    - Not enough units in the beginning

2. johnznothere

johnznothere New Member

Is it worth sacrificing units?

How do u refill the "use this many times till this weapon breaks" number?

Lyn is too weak in my game...

How do you get the knight's crest?

3. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

I had a review on Fire Emblem too. My input is here:

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=3496

johnznothere-
    1. No, it really isn't, unless it is absolutley necessary. Units may get you better, stronger units later in the game, so don't give up on them.

2. You can't, you must but new weapons.

3. Lyn IS too weak...=/

4. Various spots, I can't name specifics though...don't remember.

Hope I helped!! :)

4. Dek

Dek New Member

Actually, the Lyn i have (lvl 11) is halfway decent since i gave her the Mani Kati sword. But if you're talking about defense wise, then yeah, she isnt strong.

My suggestion is try to get the "Killer" class weapons (Killer Edge, Killer Axe, etc. ), which have a high chance of a critical hit.

As for question number 4, if you want a spoiler, one of them is found on the last mission in Lyn's Campaign (i think), where you get Wallace. Another thing i would suggest is check all of your enemy units stats and inventory by pressing R. If you see any items glowing in green, you can defeat them and get that item.

5. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

which fire emblem are you reviewing...?

6. Dek

Dek New Member

Magnechu and I are reviewing the first one that came out for America.

7. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

oh, okay. You should try the japanesse ones if you get a chance, they are superb.

I also like, in your review, that you did not give a standard 'number' review, and instead, told us what you like about the game.

8. Dek

Dek New Member

well, i have been adding in what I liked and what I didnt like about the games i review for a while.

As for the Japanese versions, i have been considering finding the Japanese versions and playing those. Problem is I cant speak or read Japanese and I cant find a good translator anywhere :lol:

As a matter of fact, have there been any Japanese-exclusive for GBA?