Flygon!

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by psycodad, Nov 23, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Well if Ampharos is really all that, I figured I'd work on it's counter so here it is

Flygon
    18 pokes
    1 Zangoose
    1 Wobbuffett SS
    1 Sudowoodo Aqua
    2 Kecleon - match up against the opponents weakness
    2 Clafairy Ex
    2 Clefable - Ex -basic nrg furret with only 1 card trade per nrg search!
    4 trapinch Rock Smash
    2 Vibrava - leaning toward dragon spark but I like razor wind as well
    3 Flygon Rainbow burn

24 trainers
    4 oaks reasearch
    4 oracle
    2 professor birch
    2 pokemon fan club
    1 mr brineys compasion - may up to 2
    2 rare candy
    4 pokenav
    3 energy switch
    1 energy restore
    1 town volunteers

18 nrg
    4 electric
    4 grass
    2 psychic
    2 fighting
    2 water
    2 fire
    2 multi - gives me 4 or more of every nrg type for sudowoodo
    Basically, all type of nrg works great with Flygon and Kecleon. Clafairy allows me to search for basic nrg like furret but only cost one card! The 3 single pokes are tech that I will change up depending on the metagame.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  2. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Hmmm... Check the deck in my signature for more tips...
    -Swampert

3. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

-1 Energy Restorer
    +1 Fisherman

A chance for 3, or definite 4....hmmmmm........

I liked the team up with Magneton better than Fable as mentioned in SwampertEX's deck (which looks simular to the one I have in the works.). The rare Vibriva has an awsome energy search attack, and so does Lady Outting trainer, you shouldnt need Fable for energy searching. Plus Magneton has a great back up attack......

4. I think your Flygon set is realy risky.Having more Stage 2's then your Stage 1's is not a good choice at all.Try this
    -2 Clefairy
    -2 Clefable
    -1 Professor Birch
    -1 Trapinch(or 2)
    -1 Flygon
    -1 Oak's Research
    -2 Pokenav
    +1 Vibrava(your choice)
    +3 Copycat
    +1 Flygon(non holo)
    +2 Energy Search
    +1 Energy Recycle System
    +1 Zangoose
    +1 Trapinch Sandstorm(or 2)

5. Tyranitar666

Tyranitar666 New Member

He has 2 Rare Candys as well though, so hes effectively running a 4-4-3 line.

6. psycodad

psycodad New Member

After testing, I found that the clafairy was not needed as suggested by Spectreon. Without it, I have tons of room to play with the list. The deck is colorful and fun to play. Here's where I am now. I have not tested this enough to say it is a final list. I will update it as I test.

Flygon
    16 pokes
    2 Zangoose - anti evo/colorless
    2 Wobbuffett SS - staple
    2 Kecleon - match up against the opponents weakness
    4 trapinch Rock Smash
    2 Vibrava - dragon spark
    4 Flygon - rainbow burn

26 trainers
    4 oaks reasearch
    4 oracle
    2 shaman - anti oracle - may switch for juggler
    2 pokemon fan club
    3 mr brineys compassion
    2 lady outing
    3 rare candy
    3 pokenav-use w/oracle
    2 masterball-use w/oracle
    1 town volunteers

18 nrg
    4 electric
    4 grass
    2 psychic
    2 fighting
    2 water
    2 fire
    2 multi
    I am playing multi for 2 reasons, wobbuffet and the Flygon line. It gives me 6 grass and electric slots and 4 psy slots. I am relying on Brineys for healing. Just pick the injured poke up.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  7. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

Try using Girafarig. I've been testing it in my Flygon deck and it seems to be working! If you get him out first turn, you and your opponent will most likely have the same number of energy attached, do you get a free card from your deck. It's a nice addition!
    -Swampert

8. I agree with Swampert.A Girafarig is a good choice.I would ad 2 or 3.

9. SwampertEX

SwampertEX New Member

I currently run 2.

10. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Ok
    Here's my real list

Flygon
    20 pokes
    4 trapinch Rock Smash
    2 Vibrava - dragon spark
    4 Flygon - rainbow burn
    3 Magneton - rare
    3 magnemite - Random spark
    2 skitty
    2 delcatty

22 trainers
    4 oaks reasearch
    4 oracle
    3 juggler
    2 pokemon fan club
    3 mr brineys compassion
    2 lady outing
    3 rare candy
    1 town volunteers

18 nrg
    5 electric
    5 grass
    2 psychic
    2 fighting
    2 water
    2 fire

11. BLiZzArD

BLiZzArD New Member

drop the delcatty/Magneton add some Sky Ditto/Zangoose and Kecleon and you can go 3 with all you energy

12. I agree with Blizzard on Zangoose and , 3 of each energy could work.Also do what Swampert said.Girafarig is truly could.

13. psycodad

psycodad New Member

Lets see....
    I have posted two list. One with kecleon and no Ton and one with Ton. This is my youngest boy's deck. He actually prefers the no ton list. I like the ton/catty list. It's a style thing. You could play ton with zangoose/keckleon/ditto if you wanted.

Swampert and APT
    I like girafig but it requires a psy to attack and with only 2 it will be hard to power up. I could use it in the kecleon list but I would have to play 2 multi's. I really prefer wobby as psy due to the anti ex power and stronger attack.

BLiZzArD
    Zangoose and ditto are good pokes but delcatty can protect against colorless weak colorless pokes from the new set plus offer draw! Sure goose and dutto are basics but they do not offer draw. In the non catty list, zangoose and ditto are good back-up and combo well with keckleon. The ton list is basically trying to take advantage of energy shower but with that list, it is not all that easy to pull off. The list needs more lady outing if you hope to pull off consistant energy showers. In testing, I do not really see a need to energy shower much.

APT
    I think you need to play more grass/electric in this deck especially if you play ton. The flygon line has good attacks that require grass/lighting.

14. Spectreon

Spectreon New Member

exnay on the oweruppay for irafarg***. In simple english, dotn worry about Girafarigs second attack.
    #1)It is the first, setup, attack you will be using most.
    #2)So there are only 2, bug whoop. Lady Outing + rare Vibriva + Magneton. How hard could it be to find 1 lousy Psy energy? If it is attached to another Pokemon, just make it active, reteat and Tons power puts it in hand where you can play it on Girafarig.

Is there a good BBP that is Fighting type? Especially with mostly colorless attacks?

Also, side note. Be aware of what others are playing. If you start seeing a lot of Crystal Shards, like I have mentioned on other Flygon deck post, Aerodactyl EX may be a requirement for all Dragon decks

15. psycodad

psycodad New Member

If I were to play frig, I would play at least 3 or combo it with dunsparce. With only 2 in your deck, what are the chances of starting with it? My experience in this format tells me if I am not fully powered by turn 3 my chances of winning decline substantially. As far as BBP fighting types there is solrock, sudowoodo, onix from aqua, hitmonchan from aqua and onix from SS. I am not sold on aero due to space requirements.Besides, who has room to play 4 shards? If they do, my plan is to out speed them. And I would bet a deck with 4 shards will have a hard time beating anything but colorless weak decks. And so what if I give up a flygon to shard? It's fast to recover and build.

16. Well if you have Warp Point , Switch , and Balloon Berry in your deck you can power it up with energy's on your bench , then you can Switch.

17. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

I don't like girafarig, you can get a better effect with dunsparce, since you are usually searching for pokemon while you're setting up.

18. psycodad

psycodad New Member

If you want to pull off an early energy shower, this list works better than the others.
    18 pokes
    4 trapinch Rock Smash
    2 Vibrava - dragon spark
    4 Flygon - rainbow burn
    3 Magneton - rare
    3 magnemite - Random spark
    2 zangoose

24 trainers
    4 oaks reasearch
    2 copycat or shaman
    4 juggler
    3 pokemon fan club
    3 mr brineys compassion
    4 lady outing
    3 rare candy
    1 town volunteers

18 nrg
    5 electric
    5 grass
    2 psychic
    2 fighting
    2 water
    2 fire

19. nikePK

nikePK New Member

Hey psycodad,

I think the real fast energy shower is really what you want with this deck. Instead of Rare Candies, I'd go Vibrava because he's essential to the combo. Desert Shaman really fugs this up, but its not seeing THAT much play. With a Lady outing + Vibrava, next turn evo with mageneton powers going off, you can drop like 7 energy in one turn, which is INSANE. This powers up both Flygon and Magneton. I know you love flygon and all, but maybe focusing with Magneton as more a main attacker would work better?

Maybe isntead of Zangoose tech, you should make it fighting tech. God knows what that fighting tech would be lol, but I think the only thing that will start running Crystal shard is Ampharos... and that's solely to get around the resistance. Magneton doesn't get 0wned by Shard, but its only got 70hp, so he's kinda screwed by ampy too.

Switch is a good idea, especially if you're wanting Magneton as your main attacker. Shower, switch... gg. Run through everything with like 100 dmg. Its not that hard to pull off.

I'd run TV reporter either in place of a FEW Juggler and then replace the Copycats with even more. TV Reporter is just so awesome, as you draw BEFORE you discard. Simply awesome.

Anyway, its kinda a playstyle thing with Flygon, there's a lot of ways to run it, finding the right one is the key. You should be fine if you have something you like. Good luck with it.

20. psycodad

psycodad New Member

NikePK
    Thanks. I'll consider all your points. I am really fond of juggler with tons power but I'll try TV reporter. It works good with the power as well. Discard and nrg, get it back with the power. Same concept. Cool. As for figthing tech, onix from aqua works good with nrg shower. It's flippy but if you are flipping 5 or 6, it can be really strong. But then again, I hate flips! Sudowoodo is ok as is Dragon Onix. Hitmontop could work as well. You could use chan ex but I like this as a no ex deck. I have been using switch mainly for amphy paralysis and other status. It really helps. I did not consider it here due to the resistance. I'll update the last list later.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.