follow up : forgetting to put sand damage

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by speeder, Oct 9, 2007.

8 league13 468 60
  1. speeder

speeder New Member

as a follow-up to this question :

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61004

Is sand damage "MANDATORY" like drawing prize cards or rolling for sleep?

If I was judging an event, and it is noticed that a competitor has forgotten to take a prize card, they would HAVE TO draw it after the fact. Likewise, if they forget to roll for sleep, they MUST roll.

If it can be agreed that X number of turns have passed, and after the players are given a caution for not paying proper attention to the game state, what would be the correct ruling?

1) sand damage is mandatory, and damage must be placed to the amount of X counters.
    2) too bad, the player with the power didn't put down the damage, and sand damage is optional, no damage
    3) rewind only for the turn that the mistake was noticed, one damage counter

I realize the answer earlier was that the judge was to determine what the ruling is, but all three answers can't be correct. The facts are fairly simple . . . there should be one simple answer. Please help with a ruling.

Thanks.

p.s. I would have ruled #2, as I don't think pokebodies are mandatory. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

There is no simple answer when three turns have passed and on each of those three turns something that should have been done, wasn't done.

Yes, it is mandatory, but how would you go back and do sleep checks for three different turns?
    How would you resolve it if a card was not drawn at the beginning of the turn for three turns?
    What other cards were played during those turns that affected either what was in the deck or the order of the deck?

Yes, it is mandatory to do, but the damage to the game state is also great and can be taken into account.

Especially in the case you outlined in your question, where suddenly three damage counters popped into existance from nowhere and ended the game; unarguably a major impact on the game state.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't place the three counters, but I'd think long and hard about it and might decide on a different solution since the three errors had such an impact. Any judge should take such things into account when game state has been compromised like this.
    Either way, tournament penalties would apply!