Forced RPS?

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by BigChuck01, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigChuck01

BigChuck01 New Member

At my battle road today, my opponents and I all agreed on just rolling for Wager, but the judge wouldnt let us, saying we had to play RPS nomatter what "Because Japan considers it a game of skill and not luck". Please tell me I'm on PUNKD.

2. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

PUI has written directly & often on this question.

In summary:

1. You have to play RPS.
    2. Using a randomizer (coin, dice, Electroflip™) is not equilavent or acceptable.
    3. If the judge decides there is some problem with the RPS game in a certain match, then an equivalent game involving face down energy cards (e.g. Fire beats Grass beats Water beats Fire) can be played by both players in that match.

Note on #1. I've heard it said its a game of skill and that argument is fair. From my perspective as a judge, though, RPS is mandatory because its 1) printed on the card and 2) it has been ruled that using a randomizer is not an acceptable equivalent.

Note on #3. It could be that one player's game tactics are questionable, and on calling the judge, the judge agrees and moves to card equivalent. However, it could also be that one player doesn't have the range of motion to be able to play the canonical RPS. In that case, I would allow the player and the opponent in that player's matches to use the 'card equivalent'; the rest of the players should still use regular RPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.