Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

forget rare candy, you see wallys trainer.....

Mob2099

wallys trainer reads:
search your deck that evolves from your active pokemon(1 if there are 2) and put it on your active pokemon(this counts as evolving). shuffle you deck afterwards.

now i see this as reading 2 ways:
1. search for pokemon that evolves from that pokemon, stage 1 or 2.
or
2. search for pokemon the evolves directly from the one chosen. as said on the chosen card ,evolves from so and so pokemon.

#1 is a trader and breeder in one with out the extra pokemon. which seems a little broken but the pokemon does have to be active and the card is a supporter.

#2 is just a boss way for any pokemon but can break the first turn evolve rule.

what do you think is the wording of the card?

To me the wording is, take the next stage evolution card from your deck and put it on the active Pokemon. That means Basic -> Stage 1 and Stage 1-> Stage 2. Not Basic -> Stage 2. Also like Rare Candy, it doesn't break the first turn no EVO Rule, ect, because it doesn't say it does.

as in ruling from wizards: evolving from deck is allowed first turn the pokemon is set( ie the evolution eevees), but not from hand.

so rare candy cant, that i agree.
but wallys trainer can if they keep that same ruling.

and both rare candy and wallys trainer states: "evolves from " state ment. but the rare candy defines what cards are evolved from better(ie stage 1 or 2)

It's interesting since Pokemon Breeder was pretty much the only Trainer that could evolve a Pokemon until now, and it actually said you couldn't break the one-turn/first-turn evolution rule. The only other one I know of is Giovanni, and it says you can break the normal evolution rules. No Trainer printed before Nintendo took over that allowed evolution failed to say whether you could break the rules or not. Rare Candy and Wally's Training say nothing either way. So, there is really no precedented assumption on whether the rules are broken or not.
I agree with Kyogre's first point. Since the card refers to a Pokemon that "evolves from" your Active, it has to be the next Stage. Charizard does not "evolve from" Charmander -- it "evolves from" Charmeleon. Also, technically, this wording does not allow Baby->Basic evoution, because the Basic does not technically "evolve from" the Baby -- rather, the Baby "evolves into" the Basic, which is a different mechanic.

I agree that Wally only let's you go up one step. As far as breaking the evolution restriction rules, we're still out on that one.

Well, IMO, unless Nintendo makes a specific ruling that lets you break the rules on this (like Giovanni and Eevee), then you must still follow the game's basic guidelines of no evolution 'til turn two. Although I must agree, keep it safe, and play by the rules.

Also, the trainer Breader and Giovanni wouldn't do anything if Fossle Aerodactal was in play because it sates that neather player may "play" trainers, that is - play them from your hand. So you can still use powers to get them, and the Wally (broken) trainer could be used to get around it as well. However the turn 1 (or turn you put a Pokemon down) rull of not being able to evolve has been around forever, I recall a rulling on Magacarp from Rocket set that stated you could not play it, raindance it and use its attack to evolve it, since you JUST played it (the rulling may have been changed?) anyrate- Eevee and promo Eevee and Kogas Kunkuna were (I belive ) the only Pokemon with powers that alowed evolve on turn 1. Although there is a trainer card that alows evolves on turn 1, Fossle Egg, granted its just a way around playing Mysterous Fossle or Ungerground Fossle, but- still - its an evolve turn 1. Also the new Baby Pokemon in this set alow turn 1 evo- I guess it could be good if you only had a rainbow engery in hand and did not want the 10 dammage on it... anyrate, having any trainer that does not just include a sub faction of pokemon, but rather allows every Pokemon to grow in turn 1, is just plain broken.
I hope Nintendo rulls on this.

Actually Magikarp can use that attack the first turn it is in play. So far every effect that has you play an evolution card different from normal gets around evolution restrictions (except for Breeder which specifically states that it doesn't).

That's great that it breaks the evolution restriction. But I don't know, it might be nothing more than another 'ProfessorElm's training method'. I honestly don't see the difference between this new trainer and Elm's training method.

You said it yourself, Turbo. It's Professor Elm's Training Method plus instant evolution, even if it's the Pokemon's first turn in play, unless it's the first turn of the game.

Last edited:
Mob2099 said:
wallys trainer reads:
search your deck that evolves from your active pokemon(1 if there are 2) and put it on your active pokemon(this counts as evolving). shuffle you deck afterwards.

This simply refers to a situation where you have may TWO active Pokémon, as in PUI's new 2 vs. 2 format.

So, you choose ONE of your actives, and search for a Pokémon that evolves from it. Simple.

Back