Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fossil and concrete Proof

Daito22

Hiya I have a slight problem My friend does not believe that I may place Basics as my starting pokemon during the set-up stage because in the newest Diamond and Pearl rule book it states: "Trainers may not be played by the first player" Also that Fossil count as Trainers in the hand and pokemon/trainers while in play" My friend is very stubborn on this matter and I need some concrete proof that I am allowed to put fossils into play as my basic pokemon in the set-up stage.

Well, how about a couple rulings from the Compendium EX which is a legally recognized source of ruling information:
Q. If you have a basic and one or more fossil cards, can you treat any or all fossils in your opening hand as Basic Pokémon?

A. Yes, you can start the game with a Fossil Trainer card as your Active Pokémon, and put a normal Basic Pokémon on your Bench (or vice-versa). (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. If you have basic and fossil Pokémon in your hand at startup, can you choose to play only the fossils and not the basic?

A. Yes. You can play "just" the Fossil Trainer cards, if you have fossils and a basic. If your opening hand has Fossil Trainers only, but no Basic Pokémon cards, you must choose a Fossil Trainer to place active. (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 27, 2006 PUI Rules Team)
These rulings come from the Pokemon USA Rules Team. That is the official source of Pokemon game play rulings, so it doesn't get more concrete than that.

BDS

Back