Fossil Ditto and attachment effects

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by Carrington388, Aug 18, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Carrington388

Carrington388 New Member

Sorry to contribute even more to this walking rulings nightmare (as if it weren't already big enough), but what would happen if Fossil Ditto (with the Transform Pokémon Power) were copying a Pokémon that has an effect that allows it to attach itself to a Pokémon, and Ditto were to use that effect?

For example, against Base Set Electrode and its Buzzap Pokémon Power, does Ditto cease being Electrode when it's Knocked Out or during the action of being attached? If it's the latter, would Ditto stay attached to the Pokémon, or would it be discarded since Electrode's effect isn't present on the physical card? Could Ditto even use Buzzap? I'm kind of surprised I haven't already seen such a ruling in either Compendium...

Another more recent example, against Majestic Dawn Unown Q and its QUICK Poké-POWER, does Ditto cease being Unown Q during the action of being attached? If not, would Ditto stay attached to the Pokémon, or would it be discarded since Unown Q's effect isn't printed on the physical card? Could Ditto even use QUICK?

I'm certain there's a few other similar effects a ruling could cover...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Which Ditto are you asking about?
    The new Ditto does not copy Powers or Bodies, so it can't use the Unown Powers. If it leaves play, it copies the new Active.

3. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Revised for Fossil Ditto:
    The only restriction on Fossil Ditto is that it can't evolve.
    So, if it is copying a Pokemon with a Power that allows it to become some other kind of card such as a Tool or an Energy card, then Ditto can use that Power and become that kind of card.
    Use of that Power is a one time event and it doesn't matter that Ditto stops Transforming after that moment because it is now a Tool or Energy card for as long as it is in Play.