Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fossils. I officially don't like it.

mrdraz07

I played a Kabutops-based deck for my BR and I got thrashed. Not only was it inconsistent, but even if it was consistent, it would still have a hard time with so many situations.

You lose to Skittles, which should also be known as ResistsFossils.dec. Chop Up w/ DRE only does 40, and that's if you're lucky enough to not have them play a Beach before you attack. You 3 hit their deck while they 2 or 1hit you, and they don't care if they can't play Candy to get Serene Grace...they can just evolve through Togetic or, you know, manually attach energy.

Eeveelutions aren't a good matchup either. Your attacker is Kabutops. You are doing 60 or 70 all game. They don't care that they can't use trainers because they don't run Candy and they can wait to NM. Umbreon hands the deck free retreat, so they don't need Warp. Glaceon X shuts off Primal Swirl, so you need a Warp to Wager/Star them, making the combo that much harder to work for. Leafeon variants have you whipped from weakness.

Empoleon. Yet another hard matchup. They'll just sit there and spread you all day. 60 or 70 only KOs basics, while a Dual Splash and a Surf Together with 4 benched (easy) KOs the whole deck.

See a recurring theme here? 60 or 70 damage isn't getting you anywhere. Your damage output is slow enough that they don't care if they can't use trainers. The only trainer that's important early game is Candy, and most decks can live without an early Candy.

There is a big reason why this deck isn't played in Japan, and this is precisely it. It's just inconsistent and slow as molasses when it comes to damage. If you can't find your turn 2 Kabutops, good luck winning.

I could have told you all that beforehand. A card that has no built-in energy acceleration and one that loses a ton of effectiveness with DRE and does a vanilla three for 60 with it is not going to be very good. Not to mention the whole "Leafeon does 60 damage to me for G" thing.

If you can't find your turn 2 Kabutops, good luck winning.

Actually, I got so fed up with Kabutops/Ampharos that I dropped Amphy for Aerodactyls. Surprisingly, I found Kabutopses turn 2. Not surprisingly, I couldn't ever get my energy to come out, and DRE wouldn't have helped at all. Heck, Aerodactyl wouldn't come out fast enough because my Holon Fossils kept on flipping tails. :[

It WAS cool to shut off trainers for a while though. The Gardevoir decks I played against were quite frustrated... But still managed to manually get Kirlia through Celio's, and then Gallade sweep. :/

Back