Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Full-Arts EXs and numbers

Is there a sanction against a player who wrote "3 Shaymin ROS 106/108" when he's playing "2 Shaymin ROS 106/108" and "1 Shaymin ROS 77/108".

I know that the rules are clear about numbers, and else, but we're talking about the same card, except the rarity.

Thanks!

As you say, the rules are pretty clear. That would fall under Legal Decklist, Legal Deck for which the fix is replacing the card with the correct card to match the decklist or with a basic energy if that is not possible. The penalty is Prize Loss.

TN States Judge

I've never issued anything stronger than a Warning for this occurance.
Strictly speaking, yes, that is the guidelines, but this falls into an area of zero game state impact and I will not give a penalty for this situation.

yeah since it has zero game impact I'd go with a warning too, unless I see them doing it consistently (ie local player doing it regularly or same mistake at big tournament and side event) then I'd up it to a Caution.

I've never issued anything stronger than a Warning for this occurance.
Strictly speaking, yes, that is the guidelines, but this falls into an area of zero game state impact and I will not give a penalty for this situation.

Just to be clear, do you still have them replace the card with the one written in the list?

Please don't answer questions directed directly to me for me.

Actually, no. I don't.
The cards are functionally equivalent.

I don't see the point of treating this more harshly than a player using a reprinted card from an older set that is legal.

I agree with 'pop. The cards are functionally identical, there is no need to issue a high level penatly when there is no chance for an error. Having the player find the other version of the cards is a waste of their time and the judges, this adds more stress that is unnecessary. There are plenty of times the letter of the guidelines should be followed, this is not one of these cases, move on.

I will add on, misspellings or omission of "EX" or "M" for Mega Pokemon are other examples of very minor issues that could be dismissed right away. I have had judges serve under me who brought me decklists that was missing "EX" or "M", my response was to look at the set and collection number. If I can use the set and collection number for Pokemon to figure out what should be in the deck, I call it a non-issue and move on.

No chance at advantage, no reason to crucify the player.

Can we add this to the penalty guidelines to make it official? I had to argue with other judges this past weekend that having the same card (Hoopa EX, for example) but the wrong set or number deserved only a Warning and not a GL. This goes for misspelling basic energies also. For example, I had a player write "Forest" instead of "Grass". This happens frequently with Metal and Electric energies too, since in the video games they're referred to as Steel and Lightning Pokémon.

Can we add this to the penalty guidelines to make it official? I had to argue with other judges this past weekend that having the same card (Hoopa EX, for example) but the wrong set or number deserved only a Warning and not a GL. This goes for misspelling basic energies also. For example, I had a player write "Forest" instead of "Grass". This happens frequently with Metal and Electric energies too, since in the video games they're referred to as Steel and Lightning Pokémon.

Proving your own point? :p "Lightning" is the energy card and "Electric" is the video game type.

Any Judge that penalizes a player for writing "Forest Energy" needs to have a talking to.
Nowhere on the card is there any printed name. How is a new player supposed to know what we have all decided to settle on for the same of these types (or OP has decided).

I have some non-Pokémon employees at my store who were sorting Pokémon energy. They used titles such as "The Yellow Ones" and "Love".

I agree with 'pop all the way through here. I wish we could amend the penalty guidelines to make this official, as different areas are judging this in different ways.

Vince

Back