Future of TCG

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by TheRealWobbuffet, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealWobbuffet

TheRealWobbuffet New Member

Nick15 has put up some new info on his site. It talks about the future, since ADV4 (which is the fifth ADV set) is the last one. I'll quote directly from the site (all credit goes to Nick and Pokemon Aaah).

• The first signs of it will appear on March 19th, 2004 in the form of three "random construction starters", featuring Charizard, Venusaur, and Blastoise on the covers. However unlike previous preconstructed decks, the content of these decks will be randomized (as in not fixed). Dunno how that would work out, but we'll see.
    • The main set will be out on April 9th and will have Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres on the packs.
    • This set will focus solely on Pokémon in FR/LG, though what is in FR/LG is to be determined (maybe some Johto and Honen Pokémon might be in it?)

He says these are just predictions but I don't think he's pulling it all out of nowhere. :p We know how tricky you can be with your sources Nick.

So, what do you all think? The question that rises in my mind is will or will not the format change? Will it be no change, a major change, or minor changes (like Base Set to Neo). I'm personally hoping they just keep the format for this next series of cards, as there are many pokemon we don't even have in this ADV format. (That includes Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard for Japan, but obviously not for us).

2. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

This could be like the VS packs that came out. There was three types of them and the cards were random constructed to be used for booster draft type of tournaments. Were a play could by a couple of packs and make a deck out of it.

3. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

The future of the Pokémon TCG should be good for the time being. EX: Team Aqua & Team Magma will be coming out in March. Another set should come out in May/June, probably a Dark/Light set.

Towards the end of the year, we should know something about the next major expansion series. I am thinking about 115 new Pokémon will be introduced, leaving us with over 500 known Pokémon.

4. marril2k

marril2k Member

Actually, I personally thought VS. worked better for sealed play that booster draft. The VS. decks where not 100% random, but rather had fixed numbers like X energy, Y trainers, Z (Z=a (main type)+b(second type)+c(colourless)) pokemon, and then those slots where somewhat randomly filled (with the exception of energy...). Ah well, I can't wait to see it ^^

-marril

5. WaRrIoR04

WaRrIoR04 New Member

yeah the future is a bright one for pokemon if they can come out with some good non supporter drawing cards then the masses of old school players will filter back in but as of right now its rising in the ranks yet again

6. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

I find the future pretty dim as of lately. I personally don't care for the game as much anymore and realize the game is nothing like it was in the beginning. A few things that TPC has done to screw up the game was the deduction of ER in the current modified. You remember the good ol' days when you would play ER and ER2 in your decks and it could buy some time or even beat your opponent in itself? It was such a good tech and was in almost every deck. It was almost as important as drawing. THey took that away and gave us few really crappy ER cards. One makes you flip to remove and the other makes you have to flip two heads in a row to see any action. Then TPC creates gardevior and blaziken which abuse energy up the ying yang and they dominate the metagame. Nothing can stand up to them, and if your lucky, you might beat it once in a while. ER would have solved both problems(not really blaziken, but atleast slowed it down alittle, and would have really hurt gardevior and actually given it a weakness in which it truely deserves). TPC has been making cards stronger and stronger and has been at the same time limiting the major decks. In the ol' days, people would play raindance, haymaker, wigglymaker, gengar decks, mewtwo decks, kabutops decks, etc. Then when the neo series came out, there was two dominate decks, Magcargo and Feraligatr. Those two decks dominated until they were cycled out. No, there was some other decks being played, but you almost never won a tournament with them. Now came the EX block. There are still two decks that dominate everything, in which it totally ruins the game. You cannot have fun when you lose constantly when facing the power houses. There are no tricks to beating them either. You either play the power house decks or lose.

ANother thing that is totally vile is the lack of new elements to the game. I remember when the game came out and there was a huge time of new cards and types of cards and new mechanics. There was fossil pokemon introduced back to back with dark pokemon, then gym pokemon, and then gyms, then baby pokemon and dark and steel pokemon. Really it was the golden age of pokemon. WHat have TPC added since then? Nothing. Sure we have supporters and duel type pokemon, but thats mostly all. What happened to all the new types of pokemon and new types of trainers and new types of energy? We are three sets into the EX block and we haven't witnessed a new type of trainer since 6 sets ago. We haven't witnessed a new type of pokemon since 10 sets ago. We haven't witnessed a new a new type of energy since 4 sets ago. Seriously, it looks like all TPC is making is bigger power houses to dominiate the game over the smaller past power houses. I mean look at past sets. There was Shiny pokemon, then Crystal pokemon, and now EX pokemon. They beef up the pokemon so much, but do we see new kinds of trainers? Do we see anything else new? No my friend, it's all pokemon. So I guess I might be pushing it, but I don't think I am the only one bored with the game so far.

You don't find these flaws in better games such as MTG, which IMO is the best game ever created and will always be. They introduce new types of cards in almost every other set, and bring back old cards by beefing up the new versions of them. There is not one dominate deck in MTG, and heck alot of the commons are better than the rares. It truely is a great game. No I am not biased. I just started playing MTG after not playing it for a year. But I have been playing pokemon since BS. I remember buying my first theme deck that came with the hitmonchan. That was the good days.

What do I see in the future of pokemon? If TPC keeps going in the same direction, I see the small population of pokemon decreasing even more over time, even with Nintendo's great job at supporting the game. Everyone at my league has already started playing a new game along side of pokemon. Some of us have gone to heroclix, some to mech warrior, some to yu-gi-oh, and I myself am waiting for DuelMasters. I believe that pokemon was the best when WotC was in production of it, and IMO WotC doesn't carry crappy games. So I am pretty sure DuelMasters will be the next big game. It has many features and gameplay techs that have never been attempted by a card game before.

That's all I got to say about that.

7. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

Zard, Saur & Blasty are the final state of the original starting Pokemon.

Articuno Zapdos & Moltres are the Base legendaries.

FR/LG is Fire Red/Leaf Green the redux of the cartridges known as Pokemon Red & Blue in USA.

So, this is showing signs of being a 'base set' clone. Perhaps even a Base Set 3.

From the arrangement of the decks this could be a variant of a 'sealed deck' focused set, i.e. decks arranged so that you're able to play sealed from the set with an element of surprise.

That could be very cool, and hopefully, like LC there will be reprints so we can use our old cards, and new players can get hip to the classics.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  8. bulbasnore

bulbasnore Administrator Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

I think EX1 aka Aqua/Magma might be taking the place of the traditional 'dark' set (e.g. Rocket at the end of Base-Jung-Foss, Destiny at the end of Neo] that was absent from Expedition Base. Any word from Adv 4 (aka Adv 5) spoilers as to whether they have light/dark Pokemon?

Edit, looks like no light/dark in the set after Aqua/Magma.

9. davechri

davechri New Member

A local card store (one that does not host a Pokemon league, BTW) said that Pokemon is outselling Yu-Gi-Oh at this point. That's a very good sign.

10. TrueGamerX

TrueGamerX New Member

I agree with you Prime 100%. Back in those days was more competitive, and more elaborate decks to play with. I mean these days I make a good deck and go to the nearest tournament which is 137 miles away from me, and at that tournament there's only 8 or 9 people. I try my best of what I have, but of course there is either Gardevior or Blaziken being played to make me lose miserably. I have been playing Pokemon for a long time and the competition have diminished. Gameplay has become more restrictive in almost every way.

11. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

There are two components to any game: The game itself and the people who play it. If the two are in sync with each other, the game prospers. Over time, the latter has changed, and the former has been forced to adapt. Most people no longer want to see those types of battles that plagued the early days of the tcg. Every change is an experiment, not gaurunteed to work (remember the Unown?). The real point though is the reverse-the game continues to evolve (despite what some of you may think), forcing the players to adapt and change. It's a two-way street.

12. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

I hate to break it to ya but Yu-gi-oh is on the number two on Scrye's top ten while Pokemon barely hangs on at number nine. Its our future I guess. I am not afraid of a end at any time but at least I know it will not be now.

"...one day the courage of mankind will fail, and we will break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day!"

~Arragon (Lord of the Rings: Return of the King)

Anyways, I see the EX: Team Magma & Team Aqua set as the the "Rocket" Style set for this generation, followed by the ADV 4 set they have in Japan then it might be logical to see a rerelase of some older (but in newer designs) of some Pokemon and hopefully good trainers. However I forsee a new generation not only based on the classic taste of the Red and Blue(green) versions of the Game Boy games but as new cards, not remakes of the older more powerful cards, that would again throw the game into imbalance. I hate to say it but ER and SER can stay in their graves for Modified (along with so many cards that makes Unlimited, the "Unlimited" format!)

"...you of all people should know of the precaution of opening old wounds." Adrimal Kirk (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

13. yoshi1001

yoshi1001 New Member

"I hate to break it to ya but Yu-gi-oh is on the number two on Scrye's top ten while Pokemon barely hangs on at number nine."

As I recall, that list has been widely discredied as slanted and inaccurate.

14. BoDragon

BoDragon Member

EX: Team Aqua vs. Team Magma does not eliminate the possibility of a Dark/Light deck. Team Aqua and Team Magma's Pokémon are like gym leaders and Team Rocket's Pokémon in my opinion. Would you like to see a Dark or a Light Salamence and a Dark Gardevoir? Perhaps Nintendo has/is given it thought and keeping it under wraps. Let us see what happens.

15. Planteon

Planteon New Member

I've decided to become a "Wizards-only" card player for the time being...

Why?

Well, there are a number of reasons, but none of them has anything to do with the switch from Wizards to Nintendo...

1) I feel that 151 Pokémon were enough, 251 was acceptable as we got the Babies, Metal and Darkness Pokémon, but the recent addition of something like 100 new Pokémon (with a new numbering system) is pushing the concept too far (more new Pokémon - yawn).

2) I can't see much really new in the EX-series. Sure, there are the EX-Pokémon, but my next point explains why I think they’re a bad idea. Seen any really novel Trainers lately??

3) INFLATION! This could be something that stems from the competition by Yugioh. Numbers are getting bigger, both for attacks and for HPs. This has been happening gradually, but started to be apparent for the e-cards (Expedition/Aquapolis/Skyridge).
    Back in the "Good old days", 1 Energy Card attached gave 10 HP damage or Special effect, although this could be modified (Cards with lowered HP or elevated retreat cost could give you 20 HP damage or 10 HP damage + Special effects etc). Today this no longer holds true and on average the cards will give well above 10 HP damage per Energy Card.
    Also, The number of Cards with HP over 100 used to be sparse, but lately we've seen lots of cards with extra high HP. Before Neo there were only 3: Base Charizard & Chansey + Giovanni's Nidoking. In the Neo Block 3 more were added: Steelix, Blissey & Feraligatr. E-cards started the "slip" towards more High HP cards: 14 new appeared (not counting Holo/Non-Holo/Reverse-Holo Variants). This has continued and although I have to admit that I haven't kept track of all new cards I believe that there are now cards with 200 HP?
    Why is this bad? Simple, all older cards will become useless to play and there will be an expectation that newer cards will be even stronger (why else bother to get new weaker cards if you've got a deck full of "blockbusters"?)

4) I have enough cards already and have spent more than a reasonable sum of money.

Having said all this I could start buing cards again, but then there would have to be novel mechanics, that link in to the older sets (Pre-inflation).

16. Michel

Michel New Member

I think that the future of the game is closely linked to the evolution of POP.

Unfortunately, I don't see a bright future outside the USA, unless things change very quickly !

Other games have taken, or will take, the place of Pokemon, and the lack of visible results and actions in POP will certainly not be in favor of Pokemon in European countries.

17. NoPoke

NoPoke New Member

Is PUI/POP leaving the rest of the world wide open to the anticipated invasion of DuelMasters? I'm expecting that Wotc will have the following in place...advertising, leagues, OP, prize support, cartoon. Sad to say we are still waiting for PUI/POP to pick themselves up from the starting blocks in Europe.

18. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

The last thing I want back is unlimited, true I miss playing with the brokeness of gust, er, ser, and about a million searching cards. But games always degraded into er, ser, gust kill your basic. The decks back then really weren't that diverseified at all, you essentially had haymaker and wiggly, and decks like gengar, damage swap, raindance, didn't have much of a chance. If these evolution decks were actually played in the numbers that you imply, then there wouldn't have been a case at all for prop 15-3 (I hope you guys have been here long enough to remember that) or even rocket-on.After that we got trapper, if you want to talk about annoying decks, the gym series contributed nothing to the game because it was just easier to play haymaker.

19. ukpokemonpro

ukpokemonpro New Member

A dark shadow moves in the dark and scratches around in the mud and slime on the floor looking for scraps dropped by passing juggernaut's... hands clasp at a soft 3 inch long sausage shape .. what's that smell? mm can't quite place it?

Maybe it's the smell of the future?

Hunger cramps the organisers stomache and they groan I gotta eat something otherwise it's curtains... they raise the soft smelly sausage like object to their lips and take a bite ..

Agh that's awful .. taste vile and I feel sick but .. but I just gotta eat it ... the organiser crawls forward retching on the meagre fare and the darkness swallows the shape and all that can be heard is the distant ringing of cash registers.... and the flush of the future for the rest of the world as it joins the other wasted material in the sewer...

The future smells pretty bad here .............................................................................................................

20. ScythKing

ScythKing Member

I guess this is directed at Prime and others that seem to long for "the good old days".
    They weren't that good and there was no diversity as you state. Unless you considered Haymakers a diversified lot.
    Every series has had cards that creative people come up with new ways to abuse. Be one of those people. A lot of folks kinda forget about the older cards (like 2 sets ago) and there are some ripe plums waiting to be picked with the proper slant of mind and eye. Look how Ninetails came back to play with deadly effect with Blaziken. Virtually every set has had dominators that everyone moans about:
    Base Set = Haymakers, Raindance, Damage Swap
    Jungle: Wigglytuff, Haymakers with Scyther
    Fossil = Muk decks, Aerodactyl decks, and the infamous and not to be forgotten Ditto
    Rocket = Trapper decks
    Gym = Blaines Arcanine, Trash Exchange and Misty's Wrath came back to fire up Feraligator
    Neo series = Freraligator, Sneasel, Espeon, Steelix, Kabutops, Elm and the inimitable Cleffa & Tyrogue
    E-cards = Feraligator, Ninetails, Oracle, Scizor, Furret
    You get the picture I hope.
    I'm at a loss what other energy types you can envision that could be basic energy types - and why? Magic, which you seem to admire has only a few basic land types and their specialty lands like Shivan Reef are just trainers in disguise like Warp Energy.
    As far as searching and card draw - Pokemon has Magic beat all to heck - those mechanics are almost shunned by the Magic designers - and very pricey to pay when they do pop up.
    Magic does in fact re-release older cards - a lot of them are dogs - Bottle Gnomes anyone? Very few are changed and none for teh better as they were probably too powerful and restricted in an older block.
    As far as no deck archetypes in Magic - you haven't played Magic much to make that statement - all I need say is Call of The Herd, Squirrels, Psychatog in recent memory. there were only about 3 decks with Urza that dominated.
    I do however have immense respect for the Magic game designers coming up with block mechanics - I wish Pokemon would pay attention there.
    As far as an inflation effect - the bigger cards also balance out with higher cost both if you lose them and to use them. Magic has their fatties also - same deal. Most Pokemon cards have gotten better costing such as Electabuzz EX now has to have 3. The original Electabuz was a BBP because he was fast & deadly as he was undercosted and overpowered.
    So really - put on your thinking hats - create & playtest. But you are defeated when you give up before you start. I will gurantee that you can build a deck that will kick Godevoirs butt. Ditto Blaziken.
    Might even be a better/different version of those decks - but it can be done.
    I'm not saying that there's not room for improvement in the game, or that dominating decks are a good thing - just that's life and get used to it. DO something about it by making the dominating decks work for their keep. If you can make it iffy enough for them then less people will play it.
    PS: Oh - and you'll note that Magic tries to balance out mistakes also by restricting or banning cards. Notice that in the new Core set Counterspell is gone. Magics equivalent of ER and SER - are restricted to one type (red) and it is kind of that genre's specialty - but the creatures suck. So in Magic they balance out by assigning attributes and mechanics to types. Pokemon does that sort of thing using weaknesses and resistance - but I must admit it might be an intersting slant for Pokemon.
    By the way - I love the new artifacts & equipment - wish Pokemon tools could work that way - now THAT is a neat mechanic :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.