Gallade question

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by TRQLKZ, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TRQLKZ

TRQLKZ Member

Here is my question,

Gallade reads:

Sonic Blade: Put damage counters on the Defending Pokemon until it is 50 HP away from being Knocked Out. If you do, your opponent switches the defending Pokemon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokemon.

So this means that you look to see what the defending pokemon's HP is and if it is not 50 HP away from being knocked out, then you start putting damage counters on it until it is 50 HP away from being knocked out. So if it were to attack a pokemon with 40 HP, that pokemon is not 50 HP away from being knocked out. So wouldn't you be supposed to put damage counters on it until it was at 50 HP away from being knocked out? It would never reach the point when it is 50 HP away from being knocked out, but it never says that it must have more than 50 HP in order to put the damage counters on it. It says to start putting damage on it until it is 50 HP away, not if the defending pokemon has 60 HP or more remaining, put damage counters on the defending pokemon until it has 50 HP away from being knocked out. The card never states to check the remaining HP of the defending Pokemon except, at the point that it is 50 HP away from being knocked out.

Is Gallade able to knock out the defending pokemon with this attack if it has less than 50 HP, because no matter how many damage counters you put on it it will never reach 50 HP.

If you could please answer my question with a good explanation as to whether or not his attack works as I described. I would like to better understand why if this card doesn't work the way I thought it would.

THank you

Ok thank you, this should answer any future questions about the wording of a card. Thank you for explaining about the intent of the card over the working.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

You see how much space it took you to write that all out?
    That's why it's not all spelled out in detail on the card. There is only so much room.
    Pokemon TCG is not like MTG. It doesn't allow wordsmanship to trump intent of the card.
    The intent of the card is to only bring a Pokemon's damage up to within 50 of being KO'd, not to place infinite damage counters on a low HP Pokemon.