Game Review: Soulcaliber II

Discussion in 'Electronic Games' started by mysterioustrainer, Sep 24, 2003.

8 league13 468 60
  1. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

Well I finally rented Soulcaliber II for Gamecube and this has to be one of the best fighting games to have ever existed. It did have reason to be one of the most anticipated games of all time.

The game has tons of different ways to play and supports up to four players alternatly. Of course it has the Arcade mode which simply challenges other blade weilding warriors. Plus Timed battle, Surivial, Practice and more, but what I like the most is the Weapons Master Mode. Here you play through a story and win by completing different scenarios. I haven't finished through it yet but it is truly cool to play. If you are not use to the 3-D and can't jump enviroment of these Fighting Games I extremly recommend you play Training mode and the start of Weapons Master mode to get in shape.

As for characters you get all sorts of variety. What is special about each console is that they have included at least one different character in each. For Gamecube you get the infamous Link from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Despite the fact that I can play the Hyrulian hero, I choose Cassandra as my main fighter. Mainly because of her simplicity of the
    Ω sword and her shield. Her combos I found easy to execute as well.

Graphics are incredible for this game and there is very little to be disapointed about. With a variety of stages, and colorful selection of costumes for each character you are not going to be disappointed. Music is very crisp and clean, along with the introduction video at the start of the game. Sounds are completely accurate. Voices are okay but it does get a little tiring at the start of most battles when you hear...

"A hero seeks a sword, and a sword seeks truth."

What is the narrator trying to tell us. Plus the words avalable for each character will soon get to be a broken record. But this problem is very insignificant in comparison to the rest of the game. With clash of swords and destiny to fulfill, this game should be in everyone's collection. I give Soulcaliber II for the Gamecube and very satisfactory 5 out of 5.

2. ShadowOfTyranitar

ShadowOfTyranitar New Member

re

Well, I'm going to have to argue about your rate. I too have recently rented SCII for GC, and I was somewhat dissapointed. The graphics, sound, and overall feel of the game were great, but it was, as I expected, a tad too easy. I rarely buy games for any system now unless I know I cannot master/beat them in 5 days or less. A list of games that are not worth buying,

Metroid Prime(quite hard, but I still beat it within the rental time)
    Super Mario Sunshine(all shines, bowser beaten)
    SCII(I unlocked EVERYTHING and was able to virtually master my characters fighting style)
    The 1st 2 pokemon stadiums(Every challenge vanquished)
    And many others.

Some games worth buying,

Pokemon(Red/Blue/Silver/Gold/Ruby/Sapphire)
    Animal Crossing
    SA2:B
    Legend of Zelda:WW(and OOT)
    Super Smash Bros.(both)

I'm not trying to be arrogant by making this post, but I'm simply good at most games. SCII was a good game, but it was too easy to unlock everything and to get to lv 99 in weapon master mode(platinum edgemster I believe).

3. DARKGeNGaR094

DARKGeNGaR094 New Member

I played it in Japanese at Game On (Tilburg, NL), brilliant game. Can't wait for my birthday in 2 months.

4. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

Isn't the point of a fighting game to beat other people other than a mircochip?

The game still gets incredibly hard at higher difficulty levels.

5. GuardianTIM

GuardianTIM New Member

I got the game, and it's probably the best fighting game I've ever played, even despite my Gamecube's control layout not being designed for fighting games.

The only gripe I have with it is in the WeaponMaster mode where it has an enemy that cannot take damage when they've got their feet on the ground and you have to hit them in the air, and unless you know which attacks knock them off their feet, you've got to wait until they jump to hit them.
    I didn't get around to completing that mission until I'd cleared pretty much every other available area, including the Subchapters.
    Would it have been so hard to let us know which attacks would do that? Even just the simple (down+forward+Vertical) would have been enough.
    Also the one where you can do extra damage through "Wall Combos", etc. I've never done a wall combo in my life, mainly coz I have no idea how.

6. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

I stared palying at arcade, and when I found out it
    was coming out with Link that sealed the deal.

I'm going have to disagree with what shadowoftyranitar had to say. And I don,t belive you got to a Lv.99 in 5 days. But I guess you fail to see beond what the game has more to offer.

P.S. you can change the langeuge to Japanese.

7. Articjedi

Articjedi Active Member

You have to have some type of attack that knocks your opponent far away. Usually a hard front kick like kilik's or seung mina's, yoshimitsu's zag zag would work as well as link's bat swing. The trick is to do as much damage as possible after they hit the wall.

8. Dunjohn

Dunjohn New Member

That's what the Practice mode is for. In Practice, you can see each move on your command list being performed by the computer. Or, just keep whacking them until you find the right move. Articjedi is right; a wall combo is simply a matter of slamming them off a wall, then laying in to them with anything.

I got the X-Box version of the game. I'm a Dreamcast veteran, and the only times that disc left the machine was when Marvel vs Capcom 2 wanted a turn. I've spent many hours of my life hammering that game into submission, so SCII had a lot to live up to. I knew it wouldn't disappoint. A huge Star Wars fan, I got Knights of the Old Republic a week before SCII but haven't looked at it since.

My main character is Spawn. That wasn't intentional - I've always been best with Cervantes - but his combination of uncomplicated manoeuverability and close-range ruthlessness makes him feel extremely comfortable. That pushes Cervy into second place, replacing Lizardman who, alas, I've yet to unlock. I know he's in there, and I've unlocked Beserker and Assassin, so I'm getting impatient. I'm lv.78. My old third-placer, Siegfried, is only there as a secret costume for Nightmare, which is too bad. The two guys played quite differently on Dreamcast. Necrid and Raphael are jostling for that spot now.

My only gripes are extremely small ones. I fail to see the point of a random-select option that then lets you say, "Nah, not him". On Dreamcast, you didn't find out who you were until the fight began. 8-a-side random Team Battle was the ultimate test of skill but now, you're able to plan ahead during the loading screens. Also, the endings are a bit weak and some characters have been tweaked a little too much - Kilik, for example - but that won't affect newcomers. One last thing I would have liked to see were realistic voices, such as Nightmare speaking German and Raph insulting you in French. Cassandra sounds like a bratty American thirteen-year-old rather than a troubled Greek warrior.

I would seriously, honestly, recommend this to anyone who's wondering what to buy next. If you don't have a second joypad, I'd invest in one of those, too. It's a great game to play and very easy on the new guys.

9. Kyfogre22

Kyfogre22 New Member

Though i enjoyed my SC2 Very much, I would deem it too easy, and certian parts of it are boring. Instead of rating it as one, i rated each section:

Arcade - Good for practice and probably the best mode.

Versus - SC2? What SC2? PARTY TIME! This mode is good fun.

Team battle and Vs. Team battle - Versus X8, but lasts a little too long and you lose the interest.

Weapon master - ZZZZZZzzz...

The other modes arent really modes as they are subfeatures of the game (eg. survival, training). The weapons are interesting, but the overall fun factor drains out fast.

7/10