Garchomp Lv.X and Friends for Nationals

Discussion in 'Deck Help and Strategy' started by Politoed666, Jun 14, 2008.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

Here goes my first deck idea post here. I got some help from some guys at league, including the number one Senior in Illinois, so it's pretty good. Here's the list:

1x Garchomp Lv.X
    2x Garchomp
    2x Gabite
    3x Gible
    2x Flygon ex
    1x Gallade
    1x Dusknoir
    1x Ampharos
    2x Phione (the good one)
    2x Chatot
    2x Lunatone
    1x Solrock

4x Felicity's Drawing
    2x TV Reporter
    3x Roseanne's Research
    2x Team Galactic's Wager
    4x Celio's Network
    1x Holon Mentor
    2x Premier Ball
    2x Rare Candy
    2x Night Maintenance
    1x PlusPower
    1x Strength Charm

5x Psychic Energy
    3x Lightning Energy
    2x Fighting Energy
    2x Grass Energy
    1x Fire Energy
    1x Water Energy
    1x Darkness Energy
    1x Metal Energy

Naturally, you'll probably have some questions. Obviously, the strategy is to get a Garch X out as fast as possible while discarding energies and powerful Stage 2s to get them back with Restore. Then, I simply retreat the Garch and let the Flygons, Gallade, etc. do their dirty work. The reason I don't run any of the basics for the Stage 2s is that I'm pretty much screwed if I start with them. That's it. Let me say that this deck is insanely fast. I don't know why, but this deck seems to burn extremely quickly and build up a big hand fast. In any case, I'll go over some specific cards and their purposes in the deck.

Flygon ex: Flygon is a ridiculous attacker, laying the smack down on Gardy/Gallade and pretty much anything else. It's 150 HP really hurts, as Gallade needs to flip five prizes to one-shot it. In addition, Leafeon Lv.X is the only other thing in the format that has a chance of knocking it out, and that's only late-game when they have a lot of energies attached. To put it simply, Flygon ex is a hard-hitting tank.

Gallade: Gallade can one-shot anything in the format, plain and simple. In addition, flipping lots of prizes doesn't hurt, as Gallade's not the focus of the deck and I can simply retreat it once it's unable to hit hard.

Ampharos: Damage spreading is always a good thing, and Ampharos's power and/or attack both set the stage very well for Flygon ex, who deals extra damage to damaged bench Pokémon.

Dusknoir: Dusknoir is a good thing for any deck. I just realized that I should probably fit in some Warp Points, though. Should I? Should I?

Thanks for reading, and please post some comments!:tongue:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. cubone

cubone Member

wow that looks like a great deck sorry but i cant figure out antything really wrong with it if you wanted suggestions
    but wow awesome deck

3. orangematt

orangematt New Member

3 Garchomp

I ran Gallade. Right now, I'm running Dusknoir, Empoleon and Dragonite EX d.

4 Rare Candy
    3 Boost

= Donktastic.

4. Sandslash7

Sandslash7 <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

If you are focused on Restore so much, you should play 2-2 Chomp IMO

Maybe drop Mentor for another TVR or two.

I've played Kabutops for additional spreading ability, it works wonders with Amphy and Dragon Pulse, not to mention Sand Damage...

5. gargoyle131

gargoyle131 New Member

Seconded. If you want to get the Lv X out quickly, play 2-2 and 4 rare candy.

6. Aron Figaro

Aron Figaro New Member

I agree, 2-2 chomp for a "reanimator" type build. I'm testing this for Unlimited right now as well: honestly I think some variant of this is "The Deck" for the next 2-3 years.

7. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

Thanks! So, everybody thinks I should run a 2-2 line with...Gible/Garchomp or Garchomp/Garchomp Lv.X? Sorry I'm not too good with the terminology yet, but I'll improve!

8. Chromecatz

Chromecatz New Member

2 garchomp and 2 garchomplvl X

9. Magic_Umbreon

Magic_Umbreon Researching Tower Scientist, Retired

With 4 candy and some basics of the stage 2 techs such as Ralts and Duskull.

10. mrdraz07

mrdraz07 New Member

Awesome list. I think Dusknoir is slightly out of place, but everything else looks really good. I don't know what to do about the Lv. X and regular Garchomp ratio though...I would prefer having more regular Chomps so they're easier to Restore, but you're stuck if the single Lv. X gets prized. Try 2/2 and see how it works.

11. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

I'll try to get my hands on another Garchomp Lv.X as soon as possible, which shouldn't be too hard. As for the basics of the Stage 2s, I'd prefer not to add them, as starting with them could pose a problem. In addition, I agree with Dusknoir being out of place. I've found that, by the time Dusknoir's useful, my bench is already full. In addition, I don't run any Warp Points. Any ideas on a tech that could replace Dusknoir? Thanks!:thumb:

12. Garch

Garch <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

Ideas? I have BILIONS of ideas! ( I run a garch, and have tested a lot of techs.) Maybe a Flygon ex d DF, Bastiodon to stop empoleon from spreading, Kabutops, Bronzong MD, Gardivior, the list goes on and on...

13. Aron Figaro

Aron Figaro New Member

Exactly. Otherwise you have a significant (53C6 - 60C7) chance of pretty much auto-losing.

When designing a deck with any singletons, look at each and think "What happens if this ends up in my prizes?" if the answer is "I lose", stop and add more. If the answer is "I lose in matchup X" then very much consider adding more.

14. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

Garch: Both the Flygon ex are the Delta kind, and I've considered Kabutops as a replacement to Dusknoir. However, the weakness to Grass is a problem (i.e. Leafeon), but I can still see that it's useful. I'd never considered Gardevoir, though. That would probably be a good idea.

Aron Figaro: I haven't really had a problem with my Garchomp Lv.X being prized, but that means I've been lucky.:tongue: If I can get another one before Nationals, I'll definitely do so.

Thanks for the ideas, and more are always welcome!

15. Garch

Garch <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=

^ Flygon ex d DF. If you don't know what it does, you can find it at go-pokemon.com.

16. XYZ_Sniper

XYZ_Sniper New Member

flygon ex d DF is delta...
    anyways nice list seems consistant and very fun :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.