Gardevoir EX

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Prime, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Does this sound like a good strategy? You have a layout like this.

Mewtwo EX
    Gardevoir EX Gardevoir Gardevoir Delcatty Delcatty​

You have a Mewtwo EX active with Gardevoir EX, two Gardevoir, and two Delcatty's benched. You use Mewtwo EX to suck up the energy in the discard pile while doing 60 a turn. You use Gardevoir to put energy on Gardevoir EX to power up it's attack and you use Delcatty to discard energy to the discard pile and draw cards. So before you know it, mewtwo has 6 energy on it, is benched and a Gardevior EX is upfront doing it's second attack for 100 minimal each turn!

2. Joe Monkey

Joe Monkey New Member

It sounds good, but looks likes it might be a pain
    to get thoese guys out in time. so its best test
    it out frist.

3. Skywolf1

Skywolf1 New Member

I sounds good. I would be concerned with the over-use of phychic types, due to weakness issues. Psychic is going to be the "type of choice" and with that will come a new set of archtypes. Find some way to "counteract" the psychic element to answer to any opponet who also plays a psychic type deck.

HTH,

Skywolf1

4. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Like Joes says, good luck getting the combo up quickly. Do remember that with the E-on format, card draw and searching is very limited due to the use of supporters. But hey, once the combo is up, watch out! But then again, watch out for a mirror match (like Skywolf implied).

5. P_A

P_A Active Member

Strategic use of star piece, Elm's training method, moo-moo milk, pokemon fan club, town volunteers and fisherman and you'll have a good deck. Draw power shouldn't be as big a problem as you would think. Armaldo will be somewhat of a pain, but easily shut down. I agree, a mirror deck would be hard to deal with. Hope your draw is faster than their's I guess. ;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  6. Prime

WHy are you all thinking I would play this? It would be extremely hard and take too long to get them all out at the same time. If you spent all your time getting out pokemon, you would give your opponent time to power up a evolution and start wiping the bench.

7. ilc

ilc New Member

i dunno I think they assume u would play this cause u posted it, and a whole stratgey for it :/

8. P_A

P_A Active Member

Prime, if you aren't playing this, sooner or later you'll be beaten by this. Take your list of cards, and my list of cards, add SS Wobbuffet, copycat, warp and cyclone energy, wally's training, rare candy and switch, possibly lure ball, and tell me you don't have a winning deck after you play with it for 2 weeks. If you do tell me that, I'll be telling you that you're playing it wrong. You'll have enough draw power and attacking power to withstand just about anything you will come across in the new modified environment. Go ahead, I dare you to give it an honest try.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  9. Prime

Oh, I play on taking down psychics with my new wobbuffet deck. Easy as that. Add in some dark, wobbuffet for the EX's and you got yourself a faster deck that can beat the living snot out of a gardevior/EX deck. But again, this is coming from no experience with facing or using either deck. But I mean come on, there is a small chance that you will get out:

1 Mewtwo EX
    2 Declatty
    2 Gardevior
    1 Gardevior EX

Before I can take out one. Now with no pokemon center and you using supporters to get cards, nurse won't be used. SUre against a deck no prepared, it might work, but just like the old day magcargo deck, people will use decks that are just super effective against them and that is what I plan on doing.

You might have the cards but the cards won't work as you want them too. Rare candy can only evolve basics. Wally's training can only evolve the active and your going to need healing, and switches in the deck too. If you do somehow get the needed cards in the deck, the deck definately won't work as wanted. Unless you are given many turns without taking damage, you will not get everything out at a good enough speed.

But again, why am I argueing. I want people to try this deck. I am waiting for them **evilish grin**

Nice post procrast!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  10. P_A

P_A Active Member

Ok, well obviously there will be a division of players with the new modified environment. Those that play Gardevoir ex and those that have a deck to try beating Gardevoir ex. Very few other decks will be mentionable. Good to know which one you'll be playing. Hopefully you'll have a range of cards to work on other non-Gardevoir decks as well. It will be a real challenge to foresee all the twists and turns your battles will take trying to work on killing Gardevoir and everything else too. I'd rather take the easy way and run a powerhouse deck to begin with. Perhaps I can throw in some curves to make you look twice as well. You don't have to have either of the Gardevoirs out, just the Delcatty and 1 Gardevoir ex to lay a beating. There's always crystal shard when against Wobbuffet, or you could cyclone energy him out (hoping of course there's only 1 Wobbuffet in play), or weakness guard, or switch your active out, (you can't attack him anyways with an ex) for something that can do damage like Espeon or Kecleon (with flips of course). I use Delcatty to get my drawing power. If anything, I use the supporters to keep from decking myself. Copycat I use when I have more than 10 cards in my hand, and that happens frequently. Fisherman, to replenish my draw power, Town volunteers, to get back my pokemon to the deck. And if I'm desperate, or believe it will give me an advantage I'll use desert shaman. There's always something that can be done, depending on your metagame. Gardevoir ex is slightly less formidable in unlimited where board control and babies abound. But in modified it WILL be a force to be reckoned with, whether you play it, or play to beat it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  11. Prime

Oh I second that opinion lol.

12. Otaku

Otaku Active Member

Will Gardevoir ex be a tough deck to beat?

Yes.

Will it be the deck to beat?

Possibly, but probably not. Sandstrom Wobbuffet hits it for 100 damage, so you have to deal with it fast. Since ex Pokemon can't touch it, you iether a)retreat to a back up or b)make them switch out. The problem? Solution "a" leaves you with a huge target on your bench should they force it back out and "b" doesn't really solve your problem: you nuke one of my pokes, I bring Ffet up and finish you off and we each just took 2 prizes. So Gardevoir ex decks are good, but like all Pokemon ex, Wobbuffet hurts it bad. Now, other than the Wobbly-one, we have Sandstorm Espeon, a "Mini-Gardevoir ex". It may be weaker, but its faster; drop an Eevee second turn (or later), Rare Candy to Espeon, drop a Boost Energy and nuke something. While Gardevoir ex can do a few tricks for similar speed, it also takes more effort to beless effective. The othe big nasty Psychic that can fend off Gardevoir ex is Mewtwo ex in a Mewtwo ex-centered deck. First Juggler (discard PP)-Attach "P"-ENergy Aborbstion-Next turn drop back up, Psyburn for 60 (or 120 against Psychic weak Pokemon).

There are non-Psyhcic Pokemon that should worry it as well: Hand disruoption isn't dead, it just changed. No Noctowl, but for example, e-Persian has an attack that is a flip to make your opponet lose a Trainer. Even without that, just remoing Pokemon in a more Pokemon oriented environment can be devastating. is it dead if Gardevoir ex attacks? Sure. but will Gardevoir ex ever be able to attack? Unsure. :p