Earthquake
Dragon Claws
Flamethrower

Milotic:
Surf
Ice Beam
Hyper Beam
Recover

Now who do you think will be better suited?

Alakazam:
Fire Punch/ T- Punch
Psychic
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball/ Recover

Gardevoir
Psychic
T-Bolt
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball/ Reflect

What do you guys suggest

I have a Gardevoir and a Kadabra (figured it was close enough) and I DEFINETELY prefer Gardevoir. BTW, I've had Alakazam before, just in a different version.

Yeah, ilc, btw how's it going, haven't seen you in while, Gardevoir is what I would choose. The only thing that might sway the decision though would be Alakazam's speed. At least in the older versions, it was the 4th or 5th fastest pokemon. Ahh, those days were fun. My team of fast pokemon. Electrode, he was fun! Screech, screech and screech some more. Then Thunderbolt, then when my Focus Band works use Explosion. Worked like a charm every time! But anyway,if you are a speed type of guy Alakazam if not Gardevoir!

Blech... Shadow Ball?! ON ALAKAZAM OR GARDEVOIR?! ARE YOU MAD?!
Ghost-type attacks are PHYSICAL! Putting it on Alakazam (Attack base stat: 50) is worse than putting it on Gardevoir (Attack base stat: 65).
Strange, though, that it decreases SP.DEF when it is a physical attack, huh?

BASE STATS:
Pokémon HP ATK DEF SPD SP.ATK SP.DEF Total
---------------------------------------------------
Gardevoir 68 65 65 80 125 115 = 518
Alakazam 55 50 45 120 135 85 = 490

Judgement:
Alakazam's only advantages are in Speed and Special Attack. Gardervoir could possibly last longer against Psychic's biggest enemy (Dark), though. If you were to concentrate all of your Effort Values into SP.ATK and SP.DEF and its best IV is SP.DEF, Gardevoir could give Dark Pokémon a run for their Pokémoney (especially if you give Gardevoir a good Special attack, like Thunderbolt). Another reason it'd last longer is because of a higher HP base stat. Of course, things may vary from Pokémon to Pokémon of the same specie, based on Individual Values and Nature. It could turn out that you could get a Gardevoir faster than an Alakazam. Or an Alakazam with more HP than a Gardevoir.

LEVEL-UP MOVES:
Gardevoir: (Total: 10)
Growl, Confusion, Double Team, Teleport, Calm Mind, Psychic, Imprison, Future Sight, Hypnosis, Dream Eater

Alakazam: (Total: 12)
Teleport, Kinesis, Confusion, Disable, Psybeam, Reflect, Recover, Future Sight, Role Play, Calm Mind, Psychic, Trick

Gardevoir has 5 unique moves. Alakazam has 7.

Gardevoir's pros:
- Double Team: If you got a pretty good Gardevoir (like mine. Whoo.), you'd probably wouldn't want to switch it out. So, raising its evasiveness would be better than decreasing your foe's accuracy (Alakazam's Kinesis, which is 80% accurate.).
-Imprison: If you're going against another Gardevoir, it'll most likely have the same moveset (Psychic/Thunderbolt/Calm Mind/[your choice] is a common moveset used by most playrs). And most Psychic Pokémon have Psychic. This would be very useful in a 2-on-2 battle: You have Gardevoir and a Pokémon weak to Psychic attacks. Your opponent has their own Psychic Pokémon out. Using Imprison, you won't have to fear for your Fighting Pokémon's safety (except from its other weaknesses.).
-Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo - Hynosis is OK. It's 60% accuracy leaves something to desire (like Spore, with its 100% accuracy), but Dream Eater is pretty cool. 100% accurate, 100 power (with a 1.5% power multiplyer for STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus.).), and 1/2 the damage dealt heals the user. It's just getting the foe to stay asleep might be the problem.

Alakazam's pros:
-Disable: If it connects (a mere 55% accuracy), you might disable a useful move of your foe's. IF it connects.
-Recover: Do I really need to explain this one?
-Reflect: havles damage inflicted by physical attacks for five turns done to your team. Pretty useful for a Pokémon like Alakazam who has terrible Defense (and even better for a Pokémon with high Defense: even harder to KO with physical attacks!).
-Trick: Could prove to be strategically useful. Especially if your opponent has an item they rely on (such as Leftovers to heal every turn, or Soul Dew to boost Latios's and Latias's Special stats). Just give Alakazam a crappy item to hold (like a Berry that's only good for Pokéblocks) or no item at all.
-Role Play: If you run across a Shedinja, not only would you make it vulnerable to every single attack, but you'd make Alakazam completely immune to everything except Bug, Ghost, and Dark.

Judgement:
Perhaps Alakazam has better unique moves in total, but those'll probably be rarely used, anyways. What's good about their moves is what they have in common, really.

EGG MOVES:
Gardevoir: (Total: 5)
Disable, Will-O-Wisp, Mean Look, Memento, Destiny Bond

Alakazam: (Total: 5)
Encore, Knock Off, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Ice Punch

Gardevoir's pros:
Well, looks like Disable ISN'T unique to Alakazam after all. And Will-O-Wisp is nice (75% accurate for instant burning). Mean Look could prove to be usefull in situations. Memento is interesting (lowers foe's Attack and SP.ATK by 2 levels if the user is KOed). Destiny Bond is... meh (turns out the effect only lasts for the next turn. Use it if Gardevoir is faster than the foe, and you know it'll be KOed this turn).

Alakazam's pros:
Encore is alright if your foe just used a move that'll be useless aginst Alakazam. Knock Off would be a better choice than Trick: does some damage, Alakazam doesn't lose its held item (so, you could instead give Alakazam a useful item), and the foe still loses their item (for the rest of the battle, anyways). The last three are good because they'll help enforce it's good SP.ATK rating with a variety of attack types to use.

Judgement:
Gardevoir has better Egg Moves in term of strategy. Alakazam has better Egg Moves in terms of all-out offense.

TM/HM COMPATABILITY:
Gardevoir: (Total: 27)
04 (Calm Mind), 06 (Toxic), 10 (Hidden Power), 11 (Sunny Day), 12 (Taunt), 15 (Hyper Beam), 16 (Light Screen), 17 (Protect), 18 (Rain Dance), 20 (Safeguard), 21 (Frustration), 24 (Thunderbolt), 27 (Return), 29 (Psychic), 30 (Shadow Ball), 32 (Double Team), 33 (Reflect), 34 (Shock Wave), 41 (Torment), 42 (Facade), 43 (Secret Power), 44 (Rest), 45 (Attract), 46 (Thief), 48 (Skill Swap), 49 (Snatch), H5 (Flash)

Alakazam: (Total: 28)
01 (Focus Punch), 04 (Calm Mind), 06 (Toxic), 10 (Hidden Power), 11 (Sunny Day), 12 (Taunt), 15 (Hyper Beam), 16 (Light Screen), 17 (Protect), 18 (Rain Dance), 20 (Safeguard), 21 (Frustration), 23 (Iron Tail), 27 (Return), 29 (Psychic), 30 (Shadow Ball), 32 (Double Team), 33 (Reflect), 34 (Shock Wave), 41 (Torment), 42 (Facade), 43 (Secret Power), 44 (Rest), 45 (Attract), 46 (Thief), 48 (Skill Swap), 49 (Snatch), H5 (Flash)

Gardevoir has 1 unique TM (Thunderbolt). Alakazam has 2 (Focus Punch and Iron Tail).

Judgement:
TMs help remove unique moves (Gardevoir can now learn Reflect, and Alakazam can now learn Double Team). And Gardevoir's unique TM is better than Alakazam's two. Both Focus Punch and Iron Tail are physical moves. Attack isn't Alakazam's forté. While Thunderbolt's power of 95 goes well with Gardevoir's somewhat-high SP.ATK rating. Most of the rest are TMs almost any Pokémon can learn (Facade, Secret Power, Rest, Attract, etc.). It's your choice as to what TMs they should know, if any.

ABILITIES:
Gardevoir:
Synchronize (If Pokémon with Synchronize is Burned, Poisioned, or Paralyzed, the foe received the Special Condition).
Trace (copies Defending Pokémon's ability)

Alakazam:
Synchronize (If Pokémon with Synchronize is Burned, Poisioned, or Paralyzed, the foe received the Special Condition).
Inner Focus (Pokémon with ability won't ever flinch)

Judgement:
Synchronize is probably the better choice for both Pokémon, since the odds of a Special Condtion in battle is usually pretty likely (especially Paralysis). However, which is better of their secondary abilities is completely situational.
-Gardevoir with Trace: In a 2-on-2 battle, it'd be great for Gardevoir if it ran across a Pokémon with Levitate. Thus, it would never have to worry about being hit by foe's Ground attacks, and your other Pokémon could use Earthquake without you worrying about it hitting Gardevoir.
-Alakazam with Inner Focus: If you opponent has flinching moves (Bite, Astonish, etc.) or if one of their Pokémon has King's Rock, you'll never have to worry about Alakazam flinching.
Of course, it's not like you can change a Pokémon's ability whenever you want, though (sans GameShark/Action Replay, of course). Whatever you catch it with is what you get.

Well.... there's my long-winded analysis to hopefully help with the ever-so-popular "Alakazam or Gardevoir" question. If you see someone ask this question on another boad, feel free to copy and paste my post there (with credits to me, please).

Personally? I like Gardevoir. One reason is because it can learn Thunderbolt. Another is because it's cuter. :p

Last edited:
Alakazam doesn't have what it takes to survive 1 turn or being hit if your opponent is at least a little smart. With low defenses like that, it will almost always get OHKO'ed, so I'd go with Max EVs in SP Attk and Speed, and Psychic, Thunderpunch, Ice Punch, and Fire Punch, just pure sweeper. Then, I'd go with Calm Mind, Psychic, Thunderbolt, and either Ice Punch(if Flying and Dragons are popular), Fire Punch(if Sunnybeamers), or Magical Leaf(special Aerial Ace), on Gardy, but it depends on your meta/opinion. Gl with it!EDIT: If you go with Gardy, and Water Absorb(Quagsire and Vaporeon)/Volt Absorb(Jolteon and Lanturn)are popular, give it Trace, otherwise, Synchro.

Last edited:
Gardy is a long-term fighter, possibly an opener. Alakazam is a Special sweeper. They have different roles on a team. Based on what you have, I'd go with Alakazam, mostly b/c you already have an opener in Salamence. I still think that Gardy is one of the top 5 openers in the game.

I don't know much about gardy even though it's in my GBA tournament team, but I didn't give it any TMs or anything.

Alakazam, however, is in my NetBattle team. Two possible movesets for Alakazam are:

Alakazam @ Leftovers
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Psychic

Alakazam @ Choice Band
Trick
Any combination of 3 of the other moveset's moves.

The first one is just damaging different types, and the second one is tricking the foe into taking a choice band and then dealing out damage to different types.

Well given the team you have, Salamence is a nice Sweeper, and Milo is a tank, so i'd suggest Gardy, reason is b/c you have 2 things that can last more then a hit, plus Alakazam is horrible with Physical stuff. so if the oppenent lasts against an attack thrown by Ala, then Alakazam just dies off. so i'd go Gardy, with the right EV's, it can still be pretty fast.

Go w/ Gardy. It already has high enough Sp. Attack and it survives way better. And because it has higher defenses and HP it doesn't need Speed. Alakazam gets killed turn 1 by lots of common attacks. E-Quake, Rock Slide, Shadow Ball, Physical HPs. Gardevoir can survive alot more attacks. Plus it is more efficient with Calm Mind. And NEVER EVER EVER put Shadow Ball on Gardevoir or Alakazam. Some of the worst Attack stats EVER. Oh and for the most simple changes for Milotic take out Hyper Beam because it is terrible for Mirror Coat because it's great on Milotic Mirror Coat Recover etc. And well for Salamence look for the user name Super Saiyen Raichu 3 then check the threads he has made and look for Pokemon Moveset Clinic. There you can find some of the best movesets for some Pokemon.

Back