Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gastly Card (Nick15?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

Nick15 said:
How could I forget? More so, I did find it odd that there were English Expedition cards made by a non-Wizards source (remember that Gastly card that was hot a while back?). This is kinda when I began to suspect things were amiss between Wizards and Nintendo, but never paid much attention to it.

Anyone have more info on this one or anything?!?

UncleBob said:
Do tell, gimme me more info!

OK! Here's my analysis of an actual card that was lent to me by dooskoop. I had posted this on the Mod Forum before, but there is no info that I obtained from a confidential source, so...:

As you know, Dooskoop sent me his Koffing.
Here is my analysis:

• Overall card texture is consistant with WotC cards.
    Text is well printed, but layout and text sizing often does not match WotC layout.
    Attack names are centered rather than Left Justified.
    Attack text is very small
    Pokemon ID is different (M instead of B)
    Copyright is just "Pokemon", not "Pokemon/Nintendo"
    Card back is Japanese E-card design.
    Set numbering is 004/093 rather than WotC set nubmering.
    Card stock is different than WotC. It is better card stock with the three layers and crispness versus the WotC's more "mushed" or "ragged" layering.
    Printing is inferior to WotC printing. You can see the moire pattern from the 4-color printing process more easily on the sample. But note that it is true 4-color printing and not some kind of photocopy-technique.
    The e-card printing works in the e-card reader!

Additionally, there were something like 8 or 12 cards in the "set".
Word from dooskoop (obtained from his seller) is that a few people were invited to the NY Pokemon Center when the e-Reader was about to be introduced and these "sample" cards were used to demonstrate it. After the demo, the sample cards were distributed to the lucky attendees.

Last edited:
Well, if one shows up on eBay again, you could get it for about $50. That's what they've been selling for.

If one shows up, that is...

"Sample cards"

I haven't seen any of the Sample cards on eBay for quite awhile now. There were originally ten of them. They are:

002/093 Hoppip
004/093 Koffing
016/093 Pikachu
019/093 Gastly
021/093 Machop
042/093 Machoke
048/093 Chansey
074/093 Rapidash
083/093 Pichu
088/093 Machamp

Some eBay sellers claimed as few as 3 or 4 of each card exists. Through eBay sales and personal correspondence with other collectors, I managed to verify at least 5 of each of several of the cards. I personally believe that there are at least a couple dozen each.

Heh... Because the differences between the Sample Gastly was from the English Expedition Gastly, and the similarities between the Sample Gastly and the Japanese E1 Gastly, I did find it odd that Wizards DIDN'T make the Sample Gastly. But now that I think back to it, who knows what else Nintendo was doing behind Wizards' backs....

Here's some info that may or may not be of interest...
e-Card data (assuming the strip info is the same as the Expedition releases)

002/093 Hoppip
083/093 Pichu
Complete Mini-Game

021/093 Machop
042/093 Machoke
088/093 Machamp
Complete Mini-Game

074/093 Rapidash
Complete Animation

048/093 Chansey
Coin Flipper

016/093 Pikachu
Construction Sound Block

004/093 Koffing
Construction Pattern Block

019/093 Gastly
Construction Music Block

These cards make a pretty good sampling of the various e-cards included in Expedition... except there's not a sample of the Secret Attack feature (Mew being the only Expedition card to have this)... This is all very interesting...

I bought Koffing on e-bay. The seller was a lady from Milan, Italy. She sold all 10 cards individually and a reserve was set at $70.00. A store from San Diego, CA offered all 10 cards plus every WOTC promo card ever released (W, Pre-release, red cheek, 1st ed Ivy...) for $1,950 but there were no buyers. "3 or 4 of each card" is probably a marketing tool.

Oak said:
I bought Koffing on e-bay. The seller was a lady from Milan, Italy. She sold all 10 cards individually and a reserve was set at $70.00. A store from San Diego, CA offered all 10 cards plus every WOTC promo card ever released (W, Pre-release, red cheek, 1st ed Ivy...) for $1,950 but there were no buyers. "3 or 4 of each card" is probably a marketing tool.

I currently have all 10 and one extra copy of rapadash (that ill probaly ebay soon hint hint) they are really sweat looking, and are VERY rare. There were 16 complete sets printed and sent to the pokemon center for a display. i payed 125 initaly for the first one that was up on ebay (rapadash) and then later bought the whole set from one of my contacts for $750. Hope that helps

This set sounds as rare as my son's 2001 Tropical Mega Battle set of English VS cards. The first printing was about a dozen. They print a second set for the 2002 TMB with a few minor changes (misprint corrections). Hey, I think my son wants to sell his set. hint, hint.

Last edited:
GodTrainer said:
I currently have all 10 and one extra copy of rapadash (that ill probaly ebay soon hint hint) they are really sweat looking, and are VERY rare. There were 16 complete sets printed and sent to the pokemon center for a display. i payed 125 initaly for the first one that was up on ebay (rapadash) and then later bought the whole set from one of my contacts for $750. Hope that helps

GodTrainer, I sent you a PM. Please reply. :)

ohhhhh i have a machamp uncut sheet from gencon VERY RARE =/

haha i dunno really how rare it is but i only think some number under 200 was given as prizes =/

i think i want to sell it... hint hint =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back