Getting to Worlds

Discussion in 'World Championships' started by jazee, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jazee

jazee New Member

Has someone posted a detailed account of what it takes to get to Worlds? I mean I know there is the basic description from the Pokemon site, but I'm looking for more of a real-word account. Something that talks about what kind of time investment is typically required for the year leading up to the worlds. How many events you'll have to most likely participate in and what kind of average finishes in the events including key events you will most likely need. How much traveling will be involved, etc.

Someone must have written something like this somewhere?

2. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

Well, there is one guaranteed way to get into Worlds, and that is by coming in the top 8 at the Pokemon National Championships in your age group.

But that was probably not what you were looking for.

3. Donezator

Donezator New Member

Well, yo can also get in with yor rating!

Donezator

4. baby mario

baby mario Front Page Article Editor<br><a href="http://pokeg

If you are in the UK, then only the top 4 get invites, and only the winner gets a paid trip.

I got in through coming 4th, and my brother got in through rankings. I think the top 25 in Europe get non-paid invites, after they take out all those who got invites through their nationals.

The short answer is that you can only qualify through either being good and lucky enough to come through nationals, or by doing really well and winning a lot of Battle Roads and City Championships during the season, which is what my brother did.

Basically, we spent a lot of time practising and making decks, and we went to as many tournaments as we could during the year.

And you have to win.

Lots ;)

5. jazee

jazee New Member

Okay, I'm in the U.S., so top 8 at Nationals for each group. That's simple enough (but probably very difficult since a degree of luck is involved there in addition to skill.)

I guess what really need is an explanation of the point system including examples of a typical year's schedule of events (Battle Roads, City/State/Regional tournaments) and how many points are at stake at each type of event and then of course a guesstimate how many points you would need to get an invite.

By the way, how many days of play are the Worlds?

6. Prime

Prime Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host

2 days. Swiss and then top cut, where I believe top cut finishes (maybe even starts) on Sunday. It and Nationals are the only 2-day tournaments.

Each tournament has a k-value that affects how many points you can win or lose from a single game. You should be able to find that information on go-pokemon.com.

7. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

This past year, you had to go pretty much X-2 or better at two States and a Regionals just to get into consideration. Not to mention that the T16 USNationals all have a VERY good shot at making it via rankings...

8. pokeMATHter

pokeMATHter Active Member

I'd like to see the tournament results for some of the people towards the bottom of the invites. Just a quick summary like:

BR Fall: 3 tournaments 10-6 record
    Cities: 6 tournaments 17-13 record
    States: Judge for two.
    Regionals: Judge
    Nationals: Judge
    BR Spring: 3 tournaments 9-7 record

Overall: 35-26 1643.98 rating. My hope for Worlds lies in the LCQ.

9. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

My Record

Event-Number of Events-Record

Battle Roads (2) 5-4
    Cities: (3) 16-4
    States: (2) 15-1
    Regionals: (1) 8-3
    Battle Roads (0)
    Nats (1) 6-3

50-15

Going 5-4 at those first 2 BR really Brought me down but I Put up the numbers when it mattered.

10. ARMondak

ARMondak New Member

Jay, I'm pretty much the opposite:

Fall BRs: 29-5
    CCs: 32-9
    States: 7-1
    Regionals: 5-2
    Spring BRs: 7-2
    Nats: 1-3 drop (ugh)

Was 1846 pre-nats, now am 1750 something.

Basically, you have to have a strong, consistent year, and perform well when it counts.

11. Umbreon777

Umbreon777 New Member

Fall BR's - 8-4
    Cities - 22-4
    States - 12-3
    Regionals - 7-2
    Autumn BR's - 7-0
    Nationals - 5-4...

61-17

I was 1869 pre-Nats and was in the T25 all year since States. After a 5-4 performance, I went to 1816.

GRAPES ARE SOUR!! :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  12. jazee

jazee New Member

So this number you are quoting in the 1700-1900 range, I assume that is a rating based on some sort of point system corresponding to the outcome of the events you participated in.

So as far as getting an invite based on points, what is typically the minimum you need, 2000?

13. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

Fall BRs- 8-3
    Citys- 9-6
    States- 7-4
    Regionals- 6-3
    Spring BRs- 0-0
    Nats- 10-4

40-20

I did awful all year till Nats, tons of bad luck, especially at States

14. Scizor

Scizor New Member

Fall BRs: 0-0
    Cities: 6-1
    States: 15-2
    Regional: 6-2
    Spring BRs: 8-1
    Nationals: 7-3

42-9 in 7 events. 1874 or something. I finished 23rd or so in North America.

15. jazee

jazee New Member

So I take it 1874 wasn't enough to get invited to Worlds? Or did you get invited. If not, I'm guessing somewhere in the 1900's would be where you could get invited to world's this year?

16. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

He was in. I think the cut off this year was a little below 1850. Last year the cut off was higher, if I remember correctly, because there were less spots available.

17. ColdCoates90

ColdCoates90 New Member

He did get invited to worlds.

Heres mine:

(Masters Division)

Fall BRs: 5-4 (2 events)
    Cities: 26-9 (7 events)
    States: 8-0 (1 event)
    Regional: 5-3 (1 event)
    Spring BRs:5-1 (1 event)
    Nationals: 9-2 (1 event)

Rating: 1898.79
    Final Record: 58-20
    Final Standing: 11th
    Total Events Played in: 13
    Invite to Worlds: Yes

18. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Nats is usually put up or shut up when it comes to invites. And you put up when it mattered.

19. ~`Flygon`~

~`Flygon`~ New Member

The points for the 06-07 season had alot more tourneys to play in,you could play in 3-4 States and 2 regionals at least 10 cities and 8-9 Brs,so points were bigger.

Just be consistent and you should get a invite.

20. ChicoBlanco

ChicoBlanco New Member

Top 8?

i thought it was top 4...

unless they changed it this year? :confused:
    cuz i got Top 8 at nationals last year and didn't get into worlds...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008