GG mirror match strategy

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Tego, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Tego

Tego New Member

Hello Pokegymmers

I wonder if anyone could give me any good advice on the GG mirror match. It seems like before GE and Claydol's release, Psychic Lock + Wager was a significant and strong combo, but not the main strategy in GG, while now the sole purpose of the deck seems to have become to get an active Gardevoir ASAP and start Wagering and Psychic Locking away.

As far as I understand, the pre-GE mirror strategy, or the City mirror strategy if you like, was to force the opponent into taking the first prize by Sonic Blading instead of Psychic Cutting until your opponent has to KO you and give you the chance to Scramble.

Now that your opponent is likely to build up a Gardevoir as soon as possible and start hammering away, has the focus changed? Should you no longer try to get the chance to Scramble at all cost, and instead try to outspeed him/her and be the first one to start a Psychic Lock chain? What if your early Psychic Locks knock out something silly, like a Furret, and your opponent answers with his/her own Gardevoir with a Scramble? I don't see how you could recover from that, being denied Scramble yourself for two prizes and being hit by weakness. :S

I'm a bit helpless here and need advice from the pros who've been out there in the State Championship battlefield.

2. garchompx12

garchompx12 New Member

chris fulop wrote an excellent report on this subjuct on the top cut.com, but anyway, you want to set up multiple gardevoirs. aslo, you should take the first prize and use your 6 prizes to your advantage.-psychic cut the biggest threat. also wager a lot/psy lock

3. empoleonperson

empoleonperson Active Member

I remember reading a good one on secret deck. Here it is its from secretdeck.com :

Mirror Match- As usual, the mirror comes down to who knows the deck better and which player’s list is better.

One of the biggest mistakes I see people make when playing this particular mirror would be trying to play aggressively. You NEVER want to rush them and make the first move. You want them to take the first prize, so they can activate your scramble energies. Your priority here is to setup two Gallades rather quickly, and to power one up without using scrambles. Once your first Pokemon gets knocked out, you do not want to flip your prizes immediately. The key is to spread damage via Sonic Blade. If possible, you might even want to try and go down by two prizes. If you get down to that position, and you have at least two Pokemon on their field with low HP, you’re in good shape.

Only when you reach that point do you want to start flipping prizes. Use your 6 prizes to your advantage, as well as key warp points, and start taking out high-HP Gallades and Gardevoirs in one shot. You will eventually come to the point where the prize count is something like 4-3, where you have four left. Now, you have two options. If they have a powered up Gardevoir, then you want to take a normal Gardevoir SW and start picking off their low-HP Pokemon, while also locking them in. If they don’t have a powered up Gardevoir, use a Lv. X to begin sniping them. Make sure that if you have a choice to take out their Gardevoirs first. Your prizes should now look something like 2-3, but they are on the edge and should be having hard time setting back up. From here, just try to abuse Psychic Lock to hinder their setup. If you continue this way, you should have victory in no time. Just be careful, because time can actually be a problem. In Swiss rounds, Gallade games tend to go to time, so you will have to adjust your game plan accordingly
    Thank you to Mike Canaves for the Mirror strategy, as I knew pretty much nothing about it. Hopefully his advice is better than none!

4. skarmory777

skarmory777 New Member

It's a matter of how the field looks. I'd go with psychic lock in mirror match and use the level X as little as possible. Watch for the dropped lake boundary and if you get the chance to make a nice KO use psychic cut to slam a critical gardevoir.

5. Tego

Tego New Member

garchompx12: Thanks for your advice!

empoleonperson: I know, I read this one too, and enjoyed it at the time. But watching recent GG mirror matches at a judge on tourneys, I feel like the playing style has changed a bit and that the article you're quoting is somewhat outdated. Might just be me, though.

6. DarthPika

DarthPika New Member

It's not just you.

You really want to Psychic Lock asap, and get a backup Gardy, and a Gallade on the bench. It's nice to power up a Gardy with out DRE so you can play down a Lake Boundary and sweep. Just play carefully and smartly and the rest will probably come down to who has the better start + deck.

7. Ho Megas Alexandros

Ho Megas Alexandros New Member

From what I've learned while playing mirror all day. The key to winning is never breaking the PLOX, while OHKO'ing their pokemon and having them 3HKO yours'.

How do you get your gardy to take three hits from your opponents gardy???

Thats a good question. I used Blastoise d to get rid of weakness at states.

Gardy has only 110 hp it still gets 2hko'd

Good point, that's why I play the LVL x.

But people play strength charm and pluspower right?

If you never break the PLOX how are they supposed to get their Plus Powers? Remember its 60-"NO Powers"

8. vanderbilt_grad

vanderbilt_grad New Member

I think that it's changed as well, but consider what G&G came into at Cities. Blissey with cess. Absol disruption. T2 Tune, Darkwing Duck, and other fast decks. The key then was speed IMHO & since lots of the decks at the time didn't use powers Garde was more for Telepass than lock.

Now G&G, Mags, and Claydol powered decks are everywhere and turning off their powers just kills their speed and consistancy. Lock significantly changes the odds in your favor in that kind of meta. If we had a significatn non-powered or anti-power deck do well then things might sift back to a Gallade focus ... and most decks are built so that they can pretty much do this anyway if the need really arises now.

9. ~`Flygon`~

~`Flygon`~ New Member

Banette isnt powered based really and it does well, against Gardylade,mag just makes it cry in the corner tho which sux and maybe the reason it dosent see too much play. T2 Kricturne I havent seen since BRs,and thats not strange since Mags beast it.u think DWD would do good since it can disrupt really well and plays cessation,now thats the weird part of it.